Outerra Engine > News

Himalayas trip

(1/11) > >>

cameni:
The video from Himalayas is finally here.
[youtube2]gf8YQ9WSdiw[/youtube2]

Read more on the blog

pico:
Wow, soooo nice. 8-)

Looks like u hav Multipalyer aktivated.
Do u plan differnet FoV (Fied of View) Options? And another Idea, what about
Freetrack? http://www.free-track.net/english/

I love ur work. :)
------------------------------------
...sorry about my English i hope its understandable.

Edding3000:
WOW... this is awesome!!!
Even a night shot at the end. Great great work.

A few things i did notice, and i want to share them with you. You probably know about them already but whatever :), i'll say it anyway:

The lighting on buildings look very flat, i know it's programmer art, but the lighting has not much to do with programmer art or not.

The things i noticed:
No bump/normal maps on scenery?
The 'popping' on the switch between LOD-levels in scenery.
I notice the shadow's are still a little grainy? post-process blur not applied yet?
The popping in of the terrain LOD's is very disturbing in my opinion.
The lan lag when the two trucks are entering the sandpath (sure it's because lan is just implemented)

I know it's still an alpha but these where the things that came to my eye. Fix these issues and it's perfect!! I'm not bashing outerra or something, it's just positive critisism!

I reaaally like the video, it's just 100X sharper and better than any other planet renderer!

cameni:

--- Quote from: Pico ---Do u plan differnet FoV (Fied of View) Options? And another Idea, what about Freetrack? http://www.free-track.net/english/
--- End quote ---
FOV can be set, and there's also a zoom function mapped on the mouse wheel, but it wasn't used in the video.
And yes, head tracking would be very handy here.

cameni:

--- Quote from: Edding3000 ---No bump/normal maps on scenery?
The 'popping' on the switch between LOD-levels in scenery.
I notice the shadow's are still a little grainy? post-process blur not applied yet?

--- End quote ---
No bump maps yet, and the shadow is not blurred either.
The popping is noticeable mainly on sharp slopes, basically where there is a wall in reality, that is now via terrain shape. And the main problem isn't so much the geometry change, but abrupt changes in generated textures. Two things will change that - terrain cannot be used to make such vertical features and there will have to be a wall model instead, and the transitions between LOD levels will be morphed.

--- Quote ---The lan lag when the two trucks are entering the sandpath (sure it's because lan is just implemented)
--- End quote ---
Yes, there's no interpolation to hide the jitter of engine threads, it's not even a network problem but a problem of physics synchronization etc.
The networking is very crude, it was something patched up very quickly to liven up the scenes :)

Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version