Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Himalayas trip  (Read 53439 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Himalayas trip
« on: August 18, 2010, 08:44:48 am »

The video from Himalayas is finally here.
[youtube2]gf8YQ9WSdiw[/youtube2]

Read more on the blog

pico

• http://
Himalayas trip
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:52:19 am »

Wow, soooo nice. 8-)

Looks like u hav Multipalyer aktivated.
Do u plan differnet FoV (Fied of View) Options? And another Idea, what about
Freetrack? http://www.free-track.net/english/

I love ur work. :)
------------------------------------
...sorry about my English i hope its understandable.

Edding3000

Himalayas trip
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:28:28 am »

WOW... this is awesome!!!
Even a night shot at the end. Great great work.

A few things i did notice, and i want to share them with you. You probably know about them already but whatever :), i'll say it anyway:

The lighting on buildings look very flat, i know it's programmer art, but the lighting has not much to do with programmer art or not.

The things i noticed:
No bump/normal maps on scenery?
The 'popping' on the switch between LOD-levels in scenery.
I notice the shadow's are still a little grainy? post-process blur not applied yet?
The popping in of the terrain LOD's is very disturbing in my opinion.
The lan lag when the two trucks are entering the sandpath (sure it's because lan is just implemented)

I know it's still an alpha but these where the things that came to my eye. Fix these issues and it's perfect!! I'm not bashing outerra or something, it's just positive critisism!

I reaaally like the video, it's just 100X sharper and better than any other planet renderer!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Himalayas trip
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 12:25:32 pm »

Quote from: Pico
Do u plan differnet FoV (Fied of View) Options? And another Idea, what about Freetrack? http://www.free-track.net/english/
FOV can be set, and there's also a zoom function mapped on the mouse wheel, but it wasn't used in the video.
And yes, head tracking would be very handy here.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Himalayas trip
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 12:38:58 pm »

Quote from: Edding3000
I notice the shadow's are still a little grainy? post-process blur not applied yet?
No bump maps yet, and the shadow is not blurred either.
The popping is noticeable mainly on sharp slopes, basically where there is a wall in reality, that is now via terrain shape. And the main problem isn't so much the geometry change, but abrupt changes in generated textures. Two things will change that - terrain cannot be used to make such vertical features and there will have to be a wall model instead, and the transitions between LOD levels will be morphed.

The lan lag when the two trucks are entering the sandpath (sure it's because lan is just implemented)
Yes, there's no interpolation to hide the jitter of engine threads, it's not even a network problem but a problem of physics synchronization etc.
The networking is very crude, it was something patched up very quickly to liven up the scenes :)

Thanks!

Edding3000

Himalayas trip
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 12:42:28 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Quote from: Edding3000
No bump maps yet, and the shadow is not blurred either.
The popping is noticeable mainly on sharp slopes, basically where there is a wall in reality, that is now via terrain shape. And the main problem isn't so much the geometry change, but abrupt changes in generated textures. Two things will change that - terrain cannot be used to make such vertical features and there will have to be a wall model instead, and the transitions between LOD levels will be morphed.

Yes, there's no interpolation to hide the jitter of engine threads, it's not even a network problem but a problem of physics synchronization etc.
The networking is very crude, it was something patched up very quickly to liven up the scenes :)

Thanks!
Exactly the answers i was expecting :D! Well again: It looks marvelous!

Kridian

Himalayas trip
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 02:44:17 pm »

It looks like your engine is handling the vehicle details pretty well. How many polys is that Tatra truck?  What kind of performance do you think you would get if there were 300 Tatras driving around?

halobungie

Himalayas trip
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 02:46:57 pm »

Hello, this Engine is absolut FANTASTIC!!!

I have never seen a better Game Engine till day. The Infinity Game Engine is not such good like your Engine.

Is it possible to make Caves? I mean like in the film Independence Day the Area 51?
Is it possible to make a Alienship in the Athmospheric like in Independence Day?
Can we import a helicopter Model for to fly like the Chessna?

Thanks in Advance for replay.
halobungie

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Himalayas trip
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 03:46:59 pm »

Quote from: halobungie
Is it possible to make Caves? I mean like in the film Independence Day the Area 51?
Is it possible to make a Alienship in the Athmospheric like in Independence Day?
Can we import a helicopter Model for to fly like the Chessna?
Though I don't remember caves in the movie, caves and tunnels will be supported later, I think I've been writing about that in some thread already.
Alien ships - of course, no problem with that if it's just a static model. With some physics defined it doesn't have to be static.

Helicopters will be supported too, once we get a working flight physics in JSBSim.

Michal

• http://blog.blockhouse-c.com
Himalayas trip
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 04:03:25 pm »

Great video! I'd love to fly there already :)

angrypig

Himalayas trip
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 04:07:08 pm »

Quote from: Kridian
How many polys is that Tatra truck?  

Tatra has around 40 000 faces.

Quote from: Kridian
What kind of performance do you think you would get if there were 300 Tatras driving around?

Performance will be much better when we implement LOD switching, we'll do some tests with similar scenario then.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Himalayas trip
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 08:40:05 pm »

Wrong thread I know ... but what 3d app are you guys using for the models?  I'm familiar with Lightwave 9.6, and might be interested in doing a few things for you guys in the near future as far as static models (houses, buildings, and such).  Can someone post a more detailed post on your needs?  Especially concerning file formats, normal/displacement mapping, UVs, etc?  If I can find the time, I can do some "American-style" homes and such. :)

Tech looks great so far. I'm drooling :)
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Himalayas trip
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 02:25:34 am »

Well I am done. There is nothing else to see on the internet.

I have literally plastered that link to everyone in my Google Talk. Excellent job of showing off the engines features (minus space) and the only disappointment is we didn't go to Fractalopolis!

Why not record these in 1080P if the engine can render and output without any issues?

Also Thank you for the sunset. Went a bit too fast but .. cry
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Himalayas trip
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 02:42:25 am »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Well I am done. There is nothing else to see on the internet.

I have literally plastered that link to everyone in my Google Talk. Excellent job of showing off the engines features (minus space) and the only disappointment is we didn't go to Fractalopolis!

Why not record these in 1080P if the engine can render and output without any issues?

Also Thank you for the sunset. Went a bit too fast but .. cry

We can record in 1080p, in fact we did some such clips, but there are two problems - editing such videos is rather slow (using Blender sequence editor), and we haven't had luck of getting it process correctly by Youtube - somehow it makes it uglier than 720p version. Hm, maybe it's a problem of 30fps we are using, not 24.

Fractalopolis was in fact not designed for visiting, looks good only from distance - there was no time for proper models etc. And, shame, it wasn't created by a fractal process either. But its time shall come :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Himalayas trip
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 02:49:13 am »

Quote from: cameni
Youtube - somehow it makes it uglier than 720p version. Hm, maybe it's a problem of 30fps we are using, not 24.

30 frames should be fine. May have to do with the Video Codec you use in the final rendering or the bitrate. I have done several tests with 1080P in YT and it can be finicky.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo
Pages: [1] 2 3 4