Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: are you familiar with LIDAR?  (Read 4934 times)

joeghi

are you familiar with LIDAR?
« on: June 27, 2012, 03:32:42 pm »

i do a lot of hiking and i use LIDAR maps, they are VERY accurate and i was wondering if somehow the data from those maps could be put in the game or a game. it would be neat to have very accurate maps of the landscape where one could explore real places without leaving home, LIDAR seems to have that type of accuracy.

thanks, -joe

Timmo

Re: are you familiar with LIDAR?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 10:38:17 pm »

Lidar is useful but it has its drawbacks- Namely, it's expensive, it's coverage is very limted and the data is huge.

With Outerra, the use of fractal refinement of the terrain almost gets rid of the need for it anyway since small scale details can be generated instead of loaded from the data.

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:15:27 am »

i use LIDAR maps, they are VERY accurate

just for curiosity, could you tell what kind of Lidar maps you use? LiDAR is a technique which creates points cloud, so a kind of scanning, but it is not usable apart after post-treatment...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

Timmo

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 04:51:30 am »

just for curiosity, could you tell what kind of Lidar maps you use? LiDAR is a technique which creates points cloud, so a kind of scanning, but it is not usable apart after post-treatment...

Most likely a hillshaded Lidar DTM as the base for other other topographic data/features.

seppen

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 05:09:22 am »

I´ve done some tests with 8500sq km 1m data (500mb)
It worked great, even small lots are more detailed then our local 1m data in old fachioned 2d countour data.

Loads of great maps at this place.
http://koordinates.com/

joeghi

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 03:11:17 pm »

i believe it is hillshade lidar.
ill try to attach a map later but i gtg. i tried earlier and it was to big of a file, so maybe thats saying something about its viability as a game component.