Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Roads  (Read 4966 times)

maxiek

Roads
« on: June 12, 2012, 07:35:07 pm »

Hello,
I was wondering for a while now, would it be possible to add roads in the same way as terrain with google maps? Not every road in the world but let's say in a selected area.

Btw best engine i've ever seen :P
+53*06'23.117" , +23*07'49,077"

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Roads
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 12:45:45 am »

Terrain is not taken from the Google maps, that's an urban myth :)
It's created from available satellite elevation data, compressed in special way to make streaming and rendering fast.

As for the roads, we plan to import them from OSM into a switchable layer.

Thaumaturge

• My YouTube account.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 01:31:42 pm »

I have a question related to road buiding. Do you guys thinking about improving the transitional area tool? I would appreciate if I could set it only on one side of a road.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 01:35:39 pm »

Not a bad idea.. I guess it would determine left and right based on the direction you are laying it down.

EDIT.. Cameni.. Maybe this can help cut some development time.

http://www.webdesignhot.com/free-vector-graphics/500-free-vector-traffic-signs/  Everyone needs more traffic signs!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:40:18 pm by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 04:03:25 pm »

Some transition must be on both sides, but perhaps you would want a different transition on each side.

There's not much space left for way point data, due to alignment rules on the GPU doubling the parameters would consume twice as much memory for the roads. But there are two things that can be done now.
There are internal flags to create only the left or the right side of the road. Roads with different parameters on the sides could be created from a single road by cloning. However, I would like to hide this process from the user, automatically doing this once the road parameters are split in the editor. But it complicates other things, selection of roads etc ...

Another thing that can be done (independently from the first) would be to automatically adjust the transitional areas according to the lateral slope. Note, this is already being done for curves, transitional area of the inner side is shortened.

When you are on a slope, you cut into the hill, so the side facing downwards would have a short transitional area.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:00:55 am by cameni »

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 01:29:54 am »

The global scenery for X-Plane is also based on OSM data. Can't wait to have this feature in OT!

xiong

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 07:43:54 pm »

we've been searching for a system which we can use to build a model railroad for our boy, and this could be it if we are allow to design our own products, i.e.tracks, trains, etc

just download the test, but can't get it to work do to the ATI graphics on our computer?