Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Creating planets  (Read 21316 times)

xiong

Creating planets
« on: June 29, 2012, 09:10:07 pm »

anyways, did not read every post on this thread.
but was wondering if instead of worrying about matching from the top view down, can this engine just provide a flat globe to the user and the user can add whatever lanform, trees, buildings, oceans, lakes, rivers, people, planes and whatever the user want on his planet/world?

that thoughts would be to re-create earth from its core up, instead of creating it from the space/mothership down.

such as starting from

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Creating planets
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 05:16:19 am »

I have split this post from the original thread, no need to append it everywhere :)

The engine works with elevation data that need to be mapped and compressed in a special way that's advantageous for rendering and level of detail management. These data are taken from satellite elevation scans. Forming a planet anew would require a whole new set of tools, and it wouldn't be able to match the current output easily.

Nevertheless, a planet creator is in the plan too, so that people can create artificial planets, see the ME-DEM project. It will take some time though, the priority is Earth as it has many more uses, including your model railways - you can base them off a real terrain.

techno_werewolf

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 11:28:48 am »

such as starting from

Its a jawbreaker  :P ::)
This sig will self-destruct in 3.... 2.... 1.... Thank you for your time. Cookie? ^_^

xiong

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 06:06:59 am »

Its a jawbreaker  :P ::)
[/quote]

is it too much to ask for?

you can zoom in and zoom out into the planet

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:10:38 am by xiong »

xiong

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 06:17:26 pm »

i definitely would like to build my own planets, and solar system with them :)

when will i be able to do that with this software?

xiong

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 05:10:18 am »

would be awesome to add this engine/game to simcity, simcountry, civilization, etc....it would be the better game

make it multiplayers worldwide :)

xiong

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 08:27:48 pm »

i'm slow, so i cannot seem to get this game.

i can't zoom or know where i am when i'm on the planet.

i think there is a ned to make this game easier to play.

wish it was like google....

Jagerbomber

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 10:00:51 pm »

Um... Try pressing G.

Also, do you realize how early this is in development?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

xiong

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 05:42:04 pm »

Um... Try pressing G.

Also, do you realize how early this is in development?

thanks, not much help

is there a timeline on this software to come out?

waiting to create Earth from the bottom up, then the solar system, the milky way galaxy, on to the whole universe :)

billions of light years of the observable part :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:44:43 pm by xiong »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 12:59:47 am »

Oh God, I didn't know you were here :)

Seriously, as I wrote above, this software and specifically Anteworld isn't designed to create planets, much less from "bottom up", whatever you are imagining behind it. Anteworld is purely about the Earth, the exploration, re-building the civilization etc. A planet creator will require a different set of tools, functionality, design.

xiong

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 08:53:14 pm »

Oh God, I didn't know you were here :)

Seriously, as I wrote above, this software and specifically Anteworld isn't designed to create planets, much less from "bottom up", whatever you are imagining behind it. Anteworld is purely about the Earth, the exploration, re-building the civilization etc. A planet creator will require a different set of tools, functionality, design.

i was hoping that your engine could be reverse as well so planet creation could be in the pipeline.

anyways, i already paid the $15 but seem like i can't do anything with the program. is there any documentation on how to use the program?

i mean i just want to start off by say load up a country such as america, australia, china, laos, and so on and start build my own stuffs on it. so how do i go about doing that?

if this program is to be a sandbox, i surely like to start designing my own vehicles, airplanes, buildings, and so on for my project.

thanks

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 02:15:38 am »

The best thing would be to watch a couple of videos that people are making on youtube, like , to see what you can do. Also, it's firstly meant to be a game (as described on the initial screen) with specific gameplay, plus a sandbox mode, it didn't promise to have all kinds of functionality people can come up with as that would not be possible to make in our life time.

At the moment it's in alpha stage, at the moment you can build roads and place a few stock buildings there, an importer will be coming soon. You seem to have a problem with controls, trying to control it like Google Earth, but it's more like a first person game.

xiong

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 07:57:21 pm »

The best thing would be to watch a couple of videos that people are making on youtube, like , to see what you can do. Also, it's firstly meant to be a game (as described on the initial screen) with specific gameplay, plus a sandbox mode, it didn't promise to have all kinds of functionality people can come up with as that would not be possible to make in our life time.

At the moment it's in alpha stage, at the moment you can build roads and place a few stock buildings there, an importer will be coming soon. You seem to have a problem with controls, trying to control it like Google Earth, but it's more like a first person game.

yes, i do have control issues. when i load it up, i'm in space looking at the stars?
i went to the default location, and as i try to get to where i want to be it is very very slow using the WASD keys. i was hoping that this movements could be programmed into the mouse so i could move around a lot quicker. i just loosing patience with this slowness to go to where i want to go, muc less put in buildings and roads.

is it my computer or the game is slow. my movements are nothing like those in the videos where they can go very fast. just bought this computer brandnew less year to run the engineering program AUTOCAD, so i doubt that it is my computer?

i just want the ability to design my buildings and roads, airplanes, ships, and so on base on my own phototypes.

i'm very slow on this game, is there any documentation out there to help slow learners like me :D

xiong

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 08:07:23 pm »

on planet creation, i'm not sure what is the difficulty in it using this engine.

if this engine can generate the planet's features using survey data, then why would it not be able to generate data that's created by the user in creating a planet. both method relies on data/information that is already there, and as you go over the area the engine just generate the features for you?

with planet creation, my simple thought was to simply designed the center of the planet as coordinates (X, Y, Z) of (0,0,0) and create the features of the planet using these three coordinates. these three coordinates are the three dimensions of our human world anyway. and if down the road, the fourth dimension coordinate of Time (T) could be incooperated into the engine then we can have night and day, base on the planet's rotation around its own axis.

from the planet's on it's own axis, then we can create the month base on the moon going around the planet, then the year as the planet goes around the sun, and so on

i do believe that the map above of the observable universe could be created if this engine does not have a limitation to how large it could be, in its scale of creation.

xiong

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 08:13:44 pm »

would it be nice to have many default locations in the game so you can pick the location and go to where you want to go quicker?

it seems that i can get to the mountains in CA using the defaults, and i would like to go to melbourne australia, but will take very long time to use the WASD keys to get there.

it would be very helpful too if this can be incorporated into google earth so i can pick my location on google earth and the game will get me to that location using the graphics of this engine.

yes, i'm frustrated
any help will be much appreciated.

i just want to start building my own version of australia, china, laos, japan, and so on with this game engine :)

but i need to get there first
Pages: [1] 2