Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Creating planets  (Read 21315 times)

Chaoz

Re: Creating planets
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 12:48:30 am »

As easily found in the Controls under UFO, you can speed up using the PAGE UP button and slow down using the PAGE DOWN button. As for rapid location change, you can also use the Lat and Lon of your destination and put it into the location tool.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 03:43:39 am »

on planet creation, i'm not sure what is the difficulty in it using this engine.

if this engine can generate the planet's features using survey data, then why would it not be able to generate data that's created by the user in creating a planet. both method relies on data/information that is already there, and as you go over the area the engine just generate the features for you?
These are two different things. The engine only renders a pre-compiled dataset that was made by another tool. The compilation of the dataset takes an hour and it processes 20GB of packed input data. It should be clear that the processing of external dataset and an interactive creation of arbitrary planet with a comparable detail are two very different things. If you would want to create a new planet for Outerra, you would need to create and edit a huge 80GB heightfield dataset. In theory it's possible, but in practice you would find it extremely problematic - no tools would load a datasets that big, even on smaller data it takes them eons to compute stuff (like for a Europe-sized region it takes a week to compute erosion and river flows).

So that's the difficulty.

would it be nice to have many default locations in the game so you can pick the location and go to where you want to go quicker?
F2 or "Locations" menu - load saved locations and save the current location, navigate to any place on earth via latitude and longitude.
PgUp/PgDn - adjusting the base speed so you can go faster, but for rapid changes use the locations

PRiME

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 07:17:39 pm »

There is a solution for having underground datasets. That is terrain bedding etc so when terrain is removed/reduced down it shows difference bedding etc until planet core (minecraft?) . The way to do it is reduce the sub elevations (-) resolution significantly. Such as 1000x lower. That would be sufficient for beginners. Detail can be added with algorithms on the fly, so to speak.

archer33

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 01:47:25 pm »

hey xiong i like youre idea just wondering if its possible to put guns in game for wars and stuff or maybe it could be a idea to work on please no nobody give me a hard time its a idea

xiong

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 06:39:33 pm »

say i want to go to the mountain called phou bia in the country of laos at lat/long of 18.983 / 103.15, how do you enter that in? when i enter them it lead me to the stars. should a location has direction as N, E, W, S as shown in google map, and if i included these directionals then it goes to the sky somewhere.

why the entries on this engine don't have directional to enter N 18° 59' 0'' E 103° 9' 0''

so please help me?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:52:46 pm by xiong »

xiong

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 06:46:55 pm »

hey xiong i like youre idea just wondering if its possible to put guns in game for wars and stuff or maybe it could be a idea to work on please no nobody give me a hard time its a idea

the awesome thing about this engine is that you get a blank planet earth. the difficult thing about this engine is how do you use the tools given to you to create what you want on planet earth.

i like this very details and to scale engine, it just erks me that moving around is at snail pace for me. every location that i want to go to takes a few minutes to just load up or generate for me. i would have thought that once you sign into the program and it load things up, which already takes about 3 minutes for me, it would load up the whole planet like in google earth. then you just zoom in and zoom out, fly to wherever you want to go on the planet.

this would be a great engine for games and seeing "what if" conditions of real world applications....but looks like a lot of works to be done yet.

as i have said elsewhere, i wish that this program could be use in engineering projects. say by modelling traffic flow, earthquake simulation, simulation weather patterns, etc..

xiong

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 07:18:22 pm »

There is a solution for having underground datasets. That is terrain bedding etc so when terrain is removed/reduced down it shows difference bedding etc until planet core (minecraft?) . The way to do it is reduce the sub elevations (-) resolution significantly. Such as 1000x lower. That would be sufficient for beginners. Detail can be added with algorithms on the fly, so to speak.

i thought that most planets are made up of different layers. the creator would create each layers base on whatever he want. each layer has the (x, y, z) coordinates associated with them. there many games out there that just use tiles or hexagons to create the landforms. a planet creator could do the same using tiles or hexagons, whichever gives the most realistic look of the surface of the planet.

my thoughts on creating a game out of this engine would be the planets be consisted of tiles, hexagons, or cubes...and these will have (x,y,z) dimensions which defines the boundaries of an area/country. so you can say my country/area consists of this to this....no dispute about it :D

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 12:27:33 am »

say i want to go to the mountain called phou bia in the country of laos at lat/long of 18.983 / 103.15, how do you enter that in? when i enter them it lead me to the stars. should a location has direction as N, E, W, S as shown in google map, and if i included these directionals then it goes to the sky somewhere.

why the entries on this engine don't have directional to enter N 18° 59' 0'' E 103° 9' 0''
But it has, in F2 you can enter lat/lon. It takes multiple formats, but N/E comes at the end: 18° 59' 0'' N, 103° 9' 0'' E

Also, "leads you to the stars" may mean there's night in there, you may want to adjust the time of day and day of year in the F2 window as well.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:29:06 am by cameni »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 12:30:46 am »

i like this very details and to scale engine, it just erks me that moving around is at snail pace for me. every location that i want to go to takes a few minutes to just load up or generate for me. i would have thought that once you sign into the program and it load things up, which already takes about 3 minutes for me, it would load up the whole planet like in google earth. then you just zoom in and zoom out, fly to wherever you want to go on the planet.
3 minutes? What computer have you got? Can you attach your eng.log?

xiong

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 06:26:05 pm »

But it has, in F2 you can enter lat/lon. It takes multiple formats, but N/E comes at the end: 18° 59' 0'' N, 103° 9' 0'' E

Also, "leads you to the stars" may mean there's night in there, you may want to adjust the time of day and day of year in the F2 window as well.

thank you for that help :)
got me there

wish that was in the documentation/direction.
would work very nicely if the movements were programmed into the mouse instead of the WASD. the trees are much different than memories serve me, and there are no grass up there....this will have to be modified.

awesome though

xiong

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 06:29:32 pm »

3 minutes? What computer have you got? Can you attach your eng.log?

dell desktop run on windows xp pro?

how do i post eng.log?

today it took exactly 1 minute and 53 seconds when i log on. perhaps faster because i was playing with it yesterday?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 01:35:09 am »

You have to find the eng.log in your Outerra data directory (by default on XP in c:\documents and settings\your user name\outerra\eng.log), and then zip it and attach to the post here.
Pages: 1 [2]