Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Great Flood  (Read 11892 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Great Flood
« on: July 02, 2012, 09:23:09 am »

A new blog post about adjustable sea level.

Chaoss

• After Days
Re: Great Flood
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 09:33:05 am »

lol most of England is gone at 100m sea level rise.

Can we see a screenshot with the sea lowered 100m as well?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 09:59:17 am »

Can we see a screenshot with the sea lowered 100m as well?

Pretty shallow seas around GB:

I've added it to the blog as well.

Luishi5k0

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 05:35:42 pm »

So basically it will change the water level dependent on where you are so you can see the lakes and other bodies of water? This will be done automatically I take it?

Kviki

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:50:18 pm »

My opinion is that you should *officially* raise the actual sea level for Anteworld by about 25m.

Pros: - No more 90° ''islands'' that appear in shallow water (since they'd be underwater now)
         - Sharper mountain->sea transitions as seen here http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lFRu52zNe4A/T_GVUYJZZtI/AAAAAAAAATk/lGudG6SbitU/s1600/flood-la.png (Also it's a pretty great example of how terrain looks irl in my country when I'm travelling to the seaside)
         - More variety in the coastal terrain
         ?- Somewhat matches with the story? (Since it's the future, the sea level would've risen because the poles have melted due to the past, high pollution industry's effect on it)

Cons: - Possible loss of terrain in low height landscapes, eg. England

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 06:19:38 pm »

Very very cool.  Once had a story idea set a billion years in the future when most of Earth's oceans had dried up.  I'm wondering if you can drop the water level very VERY low and take some screens at the bottom of a now-dry pacific seabed, as well as the continental shelf area off the Californian coast?

Can't wait to test these features out when I get my computer up and running again.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

hlovell

• Building a city on Bouvet Island!
    • deviantART
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 06:57:35 pm »

Hey guys! Newcomer to Outerra and the forums!

I'll have to say that I'm really impressed by the technology displayed within this engine. If it's okay with you guys, I'll have to give it a whirl once I start my career as a game developer. :)

With this new feature, assuming that an option where we could adjust the sea levels of our own worlds has been added, I'm definitely going to be even more hooked than I already was!

Jagerbomber

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:25:06 pm »

So basically it will change the water level dependent on where you are so you can see the lakes and other bodies of water? This will be done automatically I take it?

It's not that simple, especially since the lakes and rivers are all at different elevations.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

techno_werewolf

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 11:51:56 pm »

My opinion is that you should *officially* raise the actual sea level for Anteworld by about 25m.

Pros: - No more 90° ''islands'' that appear in shallow water (since they'd be underwater now)
         - Sharper mountain->sea transitions as seen here http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lFRu52zNe4A/T_GVUYJZZtI/AAAAAAAAATk/lGudG6SbitU/s1600/flood-la.png (Also it's a pretty great example of how terrain looks irl in my country when I'm travelling to the seaside)
         - More variety in the coastal terrain
         ?- Somewhat matches with the story? (Since it's the future, the sea level would've risen because the poles have melted due to the past, high pollution industry's effect on it)

Cons: - Possible loss of terrain in low height landscapes, eg. England

:( but i like the shallow water islands,i made one my home.
This sig will self-destruct in 3.... 2.... 1.... Thank you for your time. Cookie? ^_^

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 12:50:28 am »

If you completely remove the water can the deepest sea trenches be seen?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 01:54:50 am »

There is still some problem with negative values, for some reason the tiles with pure water are getting clipped sometimes. But yes,  you could lower the level down to trenches. However, the resolution of ocean data is just 1km, and even though the fractals will make it up down to the ground level, lack of natural features around 100m detail makes it less interesting.

There's also another aspect - the height of the atmospheric layer remains the same, so if you lower the sea level, it also moves the tree and snow line.

It needs to be more sophisticated, but basically it will set the level specifically for terrain tiles, and the ones that contain multiple different levels will use an auxiliary mask during the creation. But yes, it will be all automatic.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 04:53:56 am »

Something a bit more intimate.

http://imgur.com/a/2uV1N
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo