Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42

Author Topic: (old) 0.7.12 version branch  (Read 291785 times)

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
Re: Development version: 0.7.12.3431
« Reply #600 on: December 28, 2012, 04:08:59 am »

The change can be very insane

That looks nice :D... as long as it does not look like earth is fine with me ;D. Thx for that, to both of you!

And to be honest... there is too much land!!! Players would get land sick of that much land.
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #601 on: December 28, 2012, 04:12:36 am »

there is too much land!!! Players would get land sick of that much land.

Depends on the player. The whole point would be there is no place like home. Korean players might stay in Korea.. Mexicans in Mexico and Italians in Italy. If you want to go kick someones ass. Prepare for a damn journey!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Midviki

« Reply #602 on: December 28, 2012, 04:15:24 am »

I will have giant flying birds.. dragons.. hug portals :D.. boats.. medieval tanks :D... it will be easy to travel... it will be more like.. "protect your land kind of thing".
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

Midviki

« Reply #603 on: December 28, 2012, 11:41:31 pm »

I've been playing with the water lately.And I've made it almost transparent to a great depth, but there is a problem.. a visual one.

-

as you can observe everything is normal in this one from above... but.. I will advance with the camera just 1-2 meters in the next picture

-

see the difference? ... you can try to see yourself... the terrain is stretched.

I don't know what exactly is.. but when you have for example a building ( object ) under water on the sea floor and you go away from it.. it gets buried.Or an object at the surface, above sea level, when you go away from it the terrain seems to be disappearing.So basically is an opposite effect.Ah.. yep.. and even if u'r on a flat zone under the sea like 300-400 meters... that basically is a flat zone.. but it shows that you have a shore and you can go "up" .. but if you go in a horizontal line... the terrain flattens or disappears.. it is like ... just being created in that moment ( I know its procedural and it is supposed to be created, but 1 meter distance away to have major changes ... that is a lot! ).But the point from all of this : in the future can you do the terrain from under water to be static like the one from above sea level? and the one from above the sea level not to diminish when moving away from it and the one under sea not multiply? ( I can show you if you want :) with some other screenshots )
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #604 on: December 29, 2012, 04:06:39 am »

Superclear water is not supported :)
This has nothing to do with procedural aspect, it's an optimization of water rendering. Water surface is rendered as translucent only to some distance, then it gets replaced by a non-translucent water surface. These two must met at some point, so the sea floor connects to the surface at a distance.

Normally you can't see it if you use the normal water scattering and attenuation parameters, but if you tweak them so that it's no water anymore but rather a highly translucent liquid like an ether or something, then the hack shows.

Now, why do you want to have oceans of ether ...

Midviki

« Reply #605 on: December 29, 2012, 04:22:01 am »

Now, why do you want to have oceans of ether ...

No.. no,no,no,no... I wasn't talking about the water :D... I was talking about the terrain! :( ... its "buggy" ... the difference between those 2 screen shots... is like 2 meters.. I have not tilted the camera or come to close to those rocks... it just got enlarged by an high amount of surface... imagine pulling a rug and stretch it when you come to close to it... and if I have an object touching the ground on a hill.. if I go like 1 kilometer far away... you see the object floating in the air... and under the water.. the effect is reversed.... you see like an "U" shaped terrain even if you are on a plain terrain.. and if you have objects... the object as far as you go away from it.. it gets buried by the terrain.
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #606 on: December 29, 2012, 04:39:26 am »

That's what I'm talking about. You wrote:
And I've made it almost transparent to a great depth, but there is a problem..
How did you make it almost transparent?

Midviki

« Reply #607 on: December 29, 2012, 04:59:59 am »

Oh... well.. I just played with the settings... :

and.. ( from another angle.. with some Sun light reflex )

ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

Midviki

« Reply #608 on: December 29, 2012, 05:01:22 am »

But I think to recreate that "stretch" of the terrain rendering under water.. I think you need to raise the water level.. cause it works better with.. abrupt edges.. of mountains or hills.. :)... you will see the effect better.
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

Midviki

« Reply #609 on: December 29, 2012, 05:02:48 am »

Yeah.. and I can't make those settings as default :( .. they always reset :(.
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #610 on: December 29, 2012, 05:21:14 am »

... and to that I said that superclear water is not supported because ...

Midviki

« Reply #611 on: December 29, 2012, 05:22:53 am »

"the hack shows"  ;D
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #612 on: December 29, 2012, 05:28:40 am »

Obviously you want to make the water clearer in order to see something underwater when the shores are steep, which they are because you elevated the sea level. Normally with steep shore you don't see the bottom, that's how it should be, but you probably want it to resemble normal shores, right? I think this will need an explicit adjustment, an artificial erosion, making shallow waters close to the shore when you adjust the sea level.

Only that on earth there are both types, applying it universally won't be good.

Midviki

« Reply #613 on: December 29, 2012, 05:32:12 am »

Nope... none of those... I don't have a problem with the water :D... I have a problem with the terrain from under the water.

I was just giving feedback.. that the terrain from under the water does not react , its not the same.. the one from above is static and the terrain from under the water is "moving".
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

Midviki

« Reply #614 on: December 29, 2012, 05:45:50 am »

- Surface :

- Underwater :

See?... the terrain is eating from the model. The terrain must be underwater as it is at the surface. And I understand the lack of light, that looks nice, as it should be looking under water.The thing is as lower you go in the water... the worse it gets... walls of dirt form in front of you.If you go ahead they keep moving.. but if you have a building or submarine.. you can't see anything more then 1-2 meters. So basically that was my observation, the rendering under water is not good, maybe its because of the light or something else.I'm just pointing out stuff that I find.

ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42