Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42]

Author Topic: (old) 0.7.12 version branch  (Read 291772 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Development version: 0.7.12.3431
« Reply #615 on: December 29, 2012, 08:53:15 am »

I explained that it's a rendering optimization hack that's not normally visible with default water settings.
What I'm going to do - I'll limit the transparency to realistic values, and voila, you won't be able to see it.

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #616 on: December 29, 2012, 04:52:02 pm »

you won't be able to see it.

That does not solve the problem if you want to build underwater or submarines... or maybe coral reefs , ocean life, fish, sharks, dolphins :( ( no dolphins :( ? ).  ;D
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #617 on: December 29, 2012, 05:04:11 pm »

It's just a rendering side-effect that should not be visible with normal water settings. Why it would be a problem when you can't see it affecting anything? You can see a shark only to some distance in the water. This terrain hack should appear even farther, meaning you can't see it unless you make the water more transparent artificially.

Midviki

« Reply #618 on: December 29, 2012, 05:06:28 pm »

But even with artificial light underwater?
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

Midviki

« Reply #619 on: December 29, 2012, 05:17:46 pm »

that should not be visible with normal water settings

[ B ] ?... seriously?.. :D

Eh... it is understandable ! I know you don't have the resources required to modify the core of your algorithm just to make the terrain from underwater and the water as it should be.There are more important matters like collision.My point was made, and I think the idea of it will be somewhere in the back of your head, and come back in a year or two and you will look in to it.  :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 05:19:25 pm by Midviki »
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #620 on: December 29, 2012, 05:29:53 pm »

As soon as it becomes an issue because of a strong artificial light source, it will be pushed farther. Scattering and attenuation of light in water is quite strong though, even with light sources like the sun, when looking at it perpendicularly to the water surface, after a few tens of meters it's darkness.

It's just a rendering optimization that you noticed because we allowed you to make the water more transparent. Believe me, there are lots of such optimizations everywhere in the engine that you don't see or would not see without some hacking of the scene. It's not something that I programed wrongly and need to fix - I did it on purpose, as a performance optimization. I don't know how else I should explain it.

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #621 on: December 29, 2012, 05:59:14 pm »

The more accurately that one wants to mimic Mother Nature, the more one pays a price in frames per second. :)

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
« Reply #622 on: December 31, 2012, 03:38:00 pm »

I get it. It's not a problem because it's really not a problem at all. It's like not painting the backside of a stage dressing in a play. Nobody is ever going to see it, and if someone sneaks backstage to look behind the backdrop, then it's their problem.

Midviki

« Reply #623 on: December 31, 2012, 05:41:49 pm »

Happy New Year!
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
« Reply #624 on: January 03, 2013, 05:37:25 pm »

"but if you have a building or submarine.. you can't see anything more then 1-2 meters."

I think you need a sonar for the submarine, and the building for that matter. This would be much more fun when seeking out enemies or waiting for them. If you want to see miles and miles then put your objects on the terrain   ;)
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

Midviki

« Reply #625 on: January 04, 2013, 04:12:06 am »

If you want to see miles and miles then put your objects on the terrain   ;)

It is not really realistic to see miles under water, but a few meters it is not a "biggie".At least as the terrain hack doesn't show.You probably saw on Tv.. discovery or any other channel, how you really see under water, it is depending on different parts of the world, more or less shallow.Maybe it can be more or less shallow with a method like the grass (when close more detail, when far less).For example in some zones you can set it on a perimeter that the water needs to be more clear or not.(or like "different kind of grass" ? ... different kind of plants growing.. in result >> a different kind of shallowness of the water ( ex: dirt shallowness , sand shallowness , pebble ... etc ( depending on the material you want to use). But enough said, if it will be not possible to make the engine more flexible on the water side, eventually I will probably need or.. others to develop water for different purposes, depending on what we need ( wild life in coral reefs or even intelligent life ).
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: (old) 0.7.12 version branch
« Reply #626 on: January 04, 2013, 07:01:27 am »

Merged the development version into the main line, new topic thread: 0.7.13 version
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42]