Outerra Engine > Technology

Flight Simulation and SDK Developed Software Interfaces

(1/7) > >>

Steve.Wilson:
Hello all - first post.

I came here seeking information on a potential SDK (software development kit) for Outerra, and I'm still poking around and learning as Anteworld continues to download....

My first love is simulated aviation, and that is because this form of flying gives me the chance to see far more of our world than I will ever be able to afford to see otherwise.

I am an X-Plane addict.  I'm also an X-Plane development addict - I create airplanes and customized extensions of X-Plane via Laminar's very robust SDK system.  This is a new SDK discussion - the last one died in January.

I would like to pursue using Outerra as a graphical extension of X-Plane, using X-Plane physics and avionics with Outerra visuals.

What is the current state of Outerra in this area?

cameni:
There's still no SDK or APIs for doing what you want, but it will be one of things going to be developed this year mainly as a part of our other, non-game business. Some of it will be going back to the public game version to fulfill the promise of possibility to use Anteworld as an image generator in connection with FS/FSX and X-Plane.

Apart from this connection that should be relatively simple, we will also have to find out how to feed back the elevation data to X-Plane, so that the collision data can fit the visuals everywhere. Hopefully we'll be able to figure out the integration howtos with the help of some dedicated fans :)

Steve.Wilson:
We're thinking the same thing, cameni.  While crash detection will be desirable, the main thing will be some sort of interplay as to when the aircraft is on a runway.  Collision detection will have to remain within Outerra, but there's bound to be situations where the X-Plane terrain would actually be higher, and that would be like flying into an invisible mountain.

The key gain from the merge of Outerra and X-Plane would be X-Plane's flight dynamics and systems modeling.  Given that both would have to be running at the same time, it might be necessary to run the merger on two computers.

The main solution I see is to use the Outerra world and to modify the X-Plane Global scenery so that the whole planet is nothing but water.  Without terrain, the airports still exist - just at sea level.  So while the aircraft is on the ground, the Outerra physics engine would rule.  X-Plane flight dynamics would only apply after the aircraft took off.

While there may be a way to integrate the two into a comfortable desktop experience, my aim is more to support the full size cockpit community, mainly people running more than one computer to satisfy their flight sim yen.

Steve.Wilson:
One thing I should add to the my reply above:  Outerra/Anteworld will benefit enormously from the ability to read and write directly into the running simulation.  X-Plane handles this with a robust data reference system in their SDK.  It is also possible to send commands into the simulation via plugin.  These two features alone constitute a tremendous amount of capability.  For great reading on this, I recommend visiting the site of the X-Plane SDK, starting here:  http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xpsdk/mediawiki/Documentation

cameni:
I have no idea how it's done in X-plane, but for JSBSim there are hooks where it provides rays (point + direction and length limit) and wants to know how far the contact point lies on that ray. AFAIK it produces the rays to check for the wheels and for a couple of other points like wing endpoints etc. If something like that was in X-Plane it would be easily adaptable.

Otherwise, the interaction with ground is rather important part of the simulation, and I can't quite imagine how it could work with two physics engines - JSBSim for the ground where it also simulates the suspension produced forces, and X-Plane only for the air. Even if the JSBSim engine can be (ab)used by turning off every aerodynamic force, we would still need to provide the ground interaction forces to X-Plane as some external forces so it can include them in its physics simulation ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version