Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Grass shadowing enhanced  (Read 17996 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Grass shadowing enhanced
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:42:43 pm »

Enhanced grass shadowing algorithm is capable of shadowing segments of blades separately, contrary to the previous one that was shadowing the whole blades - in fact, it was shadowing whole tufts. It was a bit faster, but the difference in quality is quite noticeable. The new algorithm also fixes leaking of lights and shadows around objects.

Now you can see that just tops or bottoms of the blades are shadowed/lighted, which is neat.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:55:36 pm by cameni »

Ozybolairy

Re: Grass shadowing enhanced
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:55:28 pm »

This looks really impressive. You're going into a lot of detail with this grass and I was wondering just how far you're planning to go. You mentioned earlier that you have based the grass movement on the ocean pattern and that you would look at this again at a later date. Are you planning to incorporate wind into the equation, so at times we will see still grass and others it will be blowing strongly?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 01:03:22 pm »

Definitely, once there's a wind system seeded from some global wind map and then procedurally refined, it will be used to drive the grass animation as well.

Majority

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 01:06:56 pm »

Very impressive, really great algorithm! now we need rivers, waterfalls, rain, snow, deserts, sandstorms etc... :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 03:05:39 pm »

I am assuming that all this grass shadowing stuff will be easily modified to the 3d trees when they are ready. I was studying the real world and the amount of light a thick canopy blocks from the sun is crazy. I hope you guys can make it look authentic!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Juggernautz

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 03:26:33 pm »

I can't wait to move through the environment at night with a dynamic light source... and weather... TBH I just can't wait for all the improvements, period. :D

SpeedyAstro

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 06:06:33 pm »

Well, now we wait for bushes and trees to have the same thing.

Minoza

• 3D artist
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 02:16:11 am »

Looks great!
I possess a skill to google

NAX

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 03:31:44 am »

Looks awsome, but also pretty dam*ed demanding CPU/GPU-vice :D

Keep up the good work!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 03:38:03 am »

Looks awsome, but also pretty dam*ed demanding CPU/GPU-vice :D

Keep up the good work!

Actually Outerra is almost fully GPU dependent. I can encode video and run outerra at 40fps 1920x1200@85hz
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Ronaldoz1988

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 04:32:41 pm »

HI
You can make self-shadowing of grass and increase range of drawing?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:35:43 pm by Ronaldoz1988 »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 04:41:37 pm »

Probably will be implemented later as a higher-quality option.

Abc94

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 01:22:21 am »

Looks good!   8)
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

Ozybolairy

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 03:22:09 am »

Please can you increase the distance of the grass from 50 meters to 100 meters? The reason I ask this is when at ground level walking around hilly areas, the illusion of vast fields of grass is broken whenever you come to a ridge that is more than 50 meters away. you would expect a rough edge to the ridge due to the long grass. This is also noticeable when you move from ground level up to the sky, especially if you are using the highest resolution.

My second reason is always a bugbear of mine and it relates to future proofing, or ensuring the in a couple of years time, your engine is still looking really good. I believe you should always provide graphics settings beyond what the current generation can handle and we well know that next year those computers can handle whatever you throw at them. the cry-engine is a good example of this, where people actually go out and buy new computers to run the engine at the highest possible setting, even modifying various elements of the engine to improve it further.

My third reason is screenshots. how great would it be to set up your shot then push the graphics and setting to their limit so you then have a perfect shot to use as a wall paper etc. It's almost as if you were rendering a scene in a 3d program. Again I wish games makers - rockstar in particular could have done this. I would have loved to see what a render of a scene from red dead redemption would have looked like with shadows and objects visible into the far distance. Surely if you refreshed these games for future consoles with this ability they would still look stunning?

separately, could you implement custom settings for terrain/graphics settings which could take them e.g. levels 1 to infinity for those who wish to play about with these settings further?

So there's my reasons for wanting a change and I would be interested in your response

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 06:10:00 am »

Some of the limitations are architectural, and as much as we would like it to be future-proof, some things will always be a compromise that had to be taken in order to be able to run it on the current hardware. In other words, it's not quite possible to make it completely scalable into the future, when you have to implement some optimizations that make it run on the current hardware, but also place some constraints on the tech.

However, even with the current implementation, the grass has a potential to cover larger areas than it does now. The distance limit should actually depend on the terrain quality and FOV setting, not to be a fixed distance.

50m is for 480p quality due to the fact that the terrain level to which the grass rendering is coupled covers slightly above 50m distance with default FOV. However, with twice as much the quality it should be able to go farther (but not twice as far because of the perspective though). At the moment the grass is cut after 50m regardless of the quality setting, which is wrong and will be fixed. The distance will then depend on the terrain quality setting, which I think can go further than 1080p even now but you have to manually edit the world.cfg. However, at the moment the settings don't adjust properly when you change the quality and even 1080p is problematic and needs additional tweaking of terrain cache size.

Once fixed, it should allow you to extend it all much further, provided you have enough GPU memory available.
Pages: [1] 2