Outerra Engine > Development screen shots and videos

Grass shadowing enhanced

(1/4) > >>

cameni:
Enhanced grass shadowing algorithm is capable of shadowing segments of blades separately, contrary to the previous one that was shadowing the whole blades - in fact, it was shadowing whole tufts. It was a bit faster, but the difference in quality is quite noticeable. The new algorithm also fixes leaking of lights and shadows around objects.

Now you can see that just tops or bottoms of the blades are shadowed/lighted, which is neat.

Ozybolairy:
This looks really impressive. You're going into a lot of detail with this grass and I was wondering just how far you're planning to go. You mentioned earlier that you have based the grass movement on the ocean pattern and that you would look at this again at a later date. Are you planning to incorporate wind into the equation, so at times we will see still grass and others it will be blowing strongly?

cameni:
Definitely, once there's a wind system seeded from some global wind map and then procedurally refined, it will be used to drive the grass animation as well.

Majority:
Very impressive, really great algorithm! now we need rivers, waterfalls, rain, snow, deserts, sandstorms etc... :)

ZeosPantera:
I am assuming that all this grass shadowing stuff will be easily modified to the 3d trees when they are ready. I was studying the real world and the amount of light a thick canopy blocks from the sun is crazy. I hope you guys can make it look authentic!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version