Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Grass shadowing enhanced  (Read 18028 times)

Ozybolairy

Re: Grass shadowing enhanced
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 04:59:20 pm »

Great news, I shall look forward to the update and will take a look at the world.cfg file. Of course there is only so far you can extend the grass until the distance where a blade equals 1 pixel. There is no point extending beyond this.

I was very impressed with the work you have done with shadows, whereas in other engines, shadow quality or shadows themselves are quick to disappear after a certain distance. Keep up the good work!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 05:28:41 pm »

Of course there is only so far you can extend the grass until the distance where a blade equals 1 pixel. There is no point extending beyond this.

The concern I voice a while back was how "zooming" would be handled. Binoculars or rifle scopes looking at a hill a few hundred yards away would be bare terrain unless some special care was taken to render the grass all the way through the super narrow FOV for hundreds of feet. Like imagine a car parked on a hill in the grass. From far away you would be able to tell the grass wasn't there covering the bottom half of the tires.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 06:11:48 pm »

Really nice improvement! Looks awesome!

Marko

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 10:42:30 pm »

FPS actions in a whole-world sim will be problematic.  FPS engines provide the telescopic detail levels, but a world engine would need special rendering exceptions for what you describe, Zeos.  Could it be done?  Heck, anything seems possible these days.  But in terms of more global thinking, is that a feature that would be a high priority?  Sure would add to the immersion when the product is much further along on its timeline.  I love the ideas that come along in this forum.  Sure wish I had the code skills to at least offer some sort of help.  Massive project!!

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 03:12:40 am »

It will probably come with an on/off switch ... but as long as I am concerned, people should have super computers to be worthy of this game. I have like just a dual core of 2.9GHz , a video card of 1GB memory of 128bit, and just 6GB ram.. and I feel not worthy :).But in a 2-3 years period, everyone will have better.So it does not really matter when complaining about things like this :D.In the contrary... I would like to see more, since when I've or others started denying progress?  :P
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:39:38 am by Midviki »
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670
Pages: 1 [2]