Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2560x1440 Monitors Becoming More Available  (Read 16384 times)

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
2560x1440 Monitors Becoming More Available
« on: August 03, 2012, 06:22:45 pm »

For those who were worried about having to deal with eBay in order to get a South Korean 2560x1440 monitor for an affordable price, good news: a USA based company called Niexus is going to be offering a 27" 2560x1440 monitor for $430.  AnandTech has the scoop, and a link to where you can pre-order: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6131/nixeus-vue-27-a-430-wqhd-2560x1440-sips-led-monitor
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:24:48 pm by RaikoRaufoss »
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: 2560x1440 Monitors Becoming More Available
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:22:42 pm »

My monitor does 2304x1440.. 16:10 CRT for life.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

djt

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 05:58:29 pm »

My monitor does 2304x1440.. 16:10 CRT for life.

I’ve had my share of CRT’s over the years (21”-22” 2048x1536/80Hz) but once I tried higher end IPS panel LCD’s my CRT’s got put back in their boxes. The 24” (Sony fw900) was about the most decent and largest CRT out there but even that falls short compared to high end IPS panels today not to mention 24” is too small when it trying to get an immersive experience with games.

A good forum with information on displays can be found here –

http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?s=7f18c517db84ac808c6938020317e0c3&f=78

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 11:04:36 pm »

I've gotten used to older LCDs myself, and I appreciate how much lighter and energy efficient they are.  Good job linking to the [H]ard|Forum, it is a good place to find advice about computer hardware.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

djt

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 01:29:10 am »

I've gotten used to older LCDs myself, and I appreciate how much lighter and energy efficient they are.  Good job linking to the [H]ard|Forum, it is a good place to find advice about computer hardware.

I’ve never been too impressed with the cheap TN panel LCD’s, the IPS panels are a different story.

Here’s another good source of information, especially for HDTV’s, which are probably one of the best solutions for use as a gaming display. Once I started running my racing/flight sims on 32”- 46” HDTV’s it was hard to use anything else.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:30:52 am »

Yeah the Hard forums Fw900 post is THE resource for these babies..
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

djt

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 02:51:46 am »

Yeah the Hard forums Fw900 post is THE resource for these babies..

Back in 2007 I was actually trying to track down a fw900 because of that post, lol. Even then the fw900 was starting to get scarce. The choices for a good gaming LCD at the time weren’t very attractive either.

Now with IPS panel’s becoming so reasonably priced along with some really good LED HDTV’s there’s no need to hunt down those old dinosaurs anymore.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 02:55:18 am »

Trust me. Us hardcore users still don't see anything on the horizon but possibly Oled screens to top the black levels and color accuracy of these things. Not to mention the instant response time. LED does nothing to further the quality of monitors. Plasma is still the way to go.

djt

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 03:16:27 am »

Trust me. Us hardcore users still don't see anything on the horizon but possibly Oled screens to top the black levels and color accuracy of these things. Not to mention the instant response time. LED does nothing to further the quality of monitors. Plasma is still the way to go.

Yeah but I’ve seen the black levels and color accuracy deteriorate with age  (at this point their ancient) and they really don’t have much over a good IPS panel LCD anymore to begin with. Another big issue is that their just too small if you’re looking for an immersive experience as far as gaming goes.

I’ve used Plasma displays before but haven’t been overly impressed, I haven’t looked at any of them recently though.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 03:21:20 am »

The modern Panasonic Plasma's are just about the final line in quality. And my three FW's still count as A Grade.

Made this a week or so ago. A Comparison to my brothers 23" Samsung LED.

djt

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 03:41:09 am »

The modern Panasonic Plasma's are just about the final line in quality. And my three FW's still count as A Grade.

Made this a week or so ago. A Comparison to my brothers 23" Samsung LED.

Thanks for posting the video.

As mentioned over at Hardocp many times it’s very difficult to make a comparison in image quality between displays based on a video (for obvious reasons). Also the Samsung Syncmaster 2333 is a TN panel LCD so I wouldn’t expect to fair very well against a good IPS panel or even a good CRT.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 04:12:34 am »

Was more to discern delay but the samsung did well. Ghosting is obvious however.

djt

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 02:10:23 am »

Was more to discern delay but the samsung did well. Ghosting is obvious however.

Gotcha, the ghosting does look pretty noticeable in your video. Not that you can put much stock in Samsung's (or any other manufacturer for that matter) specs but that display claims to have 5ms response time.

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 01:11:06 pm »

Don't plasma screens operate awfully hot?  One of the nice things about LED's is they run cooler, with LCD's somewhere between LED and plasma.

As to resolution, there's definitely a point where the benefits are outweighed by the need to calculate for more pixels.  I fly X-Plane in a full size cockpit using a 42" HDTV, but only use the 1600 x 900 resolution.  Frame rates are much better, and the outside view at altitude is very acceptable.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 05:56:25 pm »

LED TV's are just LCD TV's with the Cold Cathod Florescent Lighting changed out to LED. Slightly more efficient and Slightly less heat and brighter. But Brighter isn't always better. Led LCD's suffer more from odd color anomalies and full panel LED TV's have crazy halo-ing when there is a high contrast scene like a lit face with a black background. The area around the head will "glow".

The only technologies on the horizon that can approach all the benefits of CRT, LED, Plasma etc are Oled(maybe) FED and SED. Sed was killed off unfortunately and FED (http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/09/field-emission-technologies-shows-off-fed-displays/) has very little support since a majority of the world seems to only care about thin and shinny and not about color accuracy and black levels. FED is essentially a flat CRT that would need to have its internals suspended in a vacuum between two panes of glass. So you can guess how expensive manufacturing would be on that.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:01:45 pm by ZeosPantera »
Pages: [1] 2