Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Scripting Engine?  (Read 18132 times)

stordito

Scripting Engine?
« on: March 30, 2012, 03:39:20 pm »

hi!
i just bought the alpha and i thinks it look very promising,also because it's intended as a base engine for future developements.
i was just wondering if there will be a scripting engine integrated in the game to drive any custom made gameplay (for example allowing people to make lua scripts and mods, allowing devs to make more content and gameplay).
Or if there will be an SDK and what will be the policy for distribution? will current subscribers get the chance to develop something? will i be free to release a game with outerra tech? (buying anteworld will be needed to play the game, so it's a win-win for outerra team and external developers/modders)
It would be cool to have something like GMOD, with the possibility to build more and more layers upon the existing one creating a HUGE database of gamemodes and content that you can redistribute.
Gmod success was primarly because of that variety.
I read this model of developement will have relevance because clearly the game as a sandbox has infinite potential and i'm looking forward for implementing some gameplay too, in whatever language wil be supported, from LUA to C#.
I hope this question has not been already answered,if so please close this thread.
Also forgive me if i mistype or i make grammars,i'm not english motherlanguage.
Thanks for you time, keep up the good work.
:)

duxet

• Anteworld - polska strona
Re: Scripting Engine?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 09:42:32 pm »

Scripting language will be JS, as Cameni said. I hope so it will be so much simple in use as in Multi Theft Auto :) For me, MTA have a one from the best modding API, except the Garry's Mod.

btw. i am wondering what's a difference in lua and js performance :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 01:14:46 am »

I said JS is already compiled in as the V8 JS engine is a part of the embedded Chromium browser, and it can become one of the scripting languages.

Personally I would like a scripting language that can be compiled in the end to gain the performance levels that are closer to C.

stordito

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 02:44:10 am »

Cool, thanks guys.
hope that feature will be implemented soon,maybe after the custom models and animations, there would be a load of content from people,and i'm going to be in the front line!
I can't wait to start coding with this awesome engine ;D  !
Also as soon as you start other people can help the outerra team to make more documentation for such feature so you don't have to waste time on a dev wiki :)

cheers :)

Chaoss

• After Days
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 07:29:55 am »

With the way this engine is shaping up I can see myself A: designing enormous amounts of content for multi-user world and/or Anteworld (static environment assets, things like highly detailed cities, villages, bases, ruins etc).

I think once the multiplayer aspect goes live (assuming we have custom content importing in place) popularity will explode. I hope we can seamlessly see other peoples content (think Second Life) while at the same time being dynamic enough to allow for combat, driving, physics, fighting, racing and what ever else people can script/create/come up with (think Garry's Mod). This could go so many places and I have this feeling that once the engine AND the game are both in beta phase there will be a major turning point in gaming. I mean already the terrain detail in this game far surpasses anything else I've ever seen (even 3dsmax pre-rendered tools!)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:26:52 am »

I hope we can seamlessly see other peoples content

I believe the internal torrent structure will be able to download all the custom models/sounds you are approaching in-game as long as you are A) traveling slow enough towards them and B) the server(s) hosting the content can send it to you fast enough.

So if you model a Ferrari F40 and are in New York City and I am approaching via the Hudson river, at some geographical distance it should start downloading your F40 model and sounds and hopefully the closer I get the more priority and bandwidth it will allocate to get it.

I am trying to think if there is any way to avoid local storage of models with some sort of cloud system but I don't think it would work as well. So Clear your Hard Drives people.. OT might be a 500 Gig game after a year of playing! Thankfully 2TB hard disks are back to $99.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

ChookWantan

• They call me Chook.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 04:20:15 pm »

A 500 Gb game? My hard drive just unplugged itself and hid in a corner...

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.

Chaoss

• After Days
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 09:20:04 pm »

I hope we can seamlessly see other peoples content

I believe the internal torrent structure will be able to download all the custom models/sounds you are approaching in-game as long as you are A) traveling slow enough towards them and B) the server(s) hosting the content can send it to you fast enough.

So if you model a Ferrari F40 and are in New York City and I am approaching via the Hudson river, at some geographical distance it should start downloading your F40 model and sounds and hopefully the closer I get the more priority and bandwidth it will allocate to get it.

I am trying to think if there is any way to avoid local storage of models with some sort of cloud system but I don't think it would work as well. So Clear your Hard Drives people.. OT might be a 500 Gig game after a year of playing! Thankfully 2TB hard disks are back to $99.

Wouldn't the engine have a (configurable) amount of space... lets say 2GB and once it reaches that it starts to flush out the older assets. Obviously this can be configurable for those of us with multiple terabyte hard drives. This could be made to be more intelligent and automatically flush out assets that haven't been viewed in a while (again a settable option)

And the asset downloading via bittorrent sounds like one way, but remember a lot of isp's throttle bittorrent traffic so you may want to look at other options. there is no way currently to have these display instantly this always has been and will be a problem for quite some time. But as time goes on bandwidth increases and this will be come less of a problem. 2GB of models and textures is quite a bit mind, I could model a full scale and full detail city, with all details such as street lamps, mail boxes, buildings with interiors, trash etc and with the right optimization get it down to 2GB.

This would be the sort of detail I'd model buildings with in Outterra, possibly a bit more detail as it allows for more LOD's, shaders and a 2nd UV channel (used for an AO map in my case)

This is some of my work from last year
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:23:50 pm by Chaoss »

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 01:33:42 am »

Awesome buildings! Great texturing job. ;)
Marko

ChookWantan

• They call me Chook.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 02:39:04 am »

That's some awesome modeling, I especially like the reliefs you've modelled into the tops of the windows. The texturing is also really impressive!
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.

Chaoss

• After Days
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 05:13:44 am »

That's some awesome modeling, I especially like the reliefs you've modelled into the tops of the windows. The texturing is also really impressive!

Cheers, I hope i can be an asset (pun intended) to Outerra. It's really shaping up to be something great

Black Phoenix

• Black Phoenix's Brain Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 05:23:44 am »

I said JS is already compiled in as the V8 JS engine is a part of the embedded Chromium browser, and it can become one of the scripting languages.

Personally I would like a scripting language that can be compiled in the end to gain the performance levels that are closer to C.

Take LuaJIT and you will not regret it

stordito

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 09:46:46 am »

Sorry if i post in my old topic, but i wanted to add that i backed the Oculus Rift kickstarter project, and i'll try to do some stuff with the SDK.
It would be really cool if by december we have some basic documentation on developing for outerra ,plus maybe a first person camera with indipendent head movement (a-la ofp/arma 1&2).
outerra and that kind of hardware working side by side to create a full scale,full immersion, full sandbox experience ...cannot wait!
Cameni, give us the powaaa! :D

edit: i saw now there was another topic...oh well.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 09:48:49 am by stordito »

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 06:40:45 am »

Q:  Will it be possible to use chunks of code block written in _asm like in C++? Do you think the scripting system will have that?Cause I searched on the web a bit, and there seems to be no idea about asm code in JS.
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 07:04:57 am »

Certainly not in JS, that's meant to be portable. But there may be NaCl.
However, if you need asm, why would you use JS at all, and not write C/C++ modules?