Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Stereoscopic 3D  (Read 16244 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Stereoscopic 3D
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:16:39 pm »

Early test of direct stereoscopic output. At the moment the engine can output anaglyph, interleaved and top-to-bottom formats. Side-by-side will come as well in order to support Oculus Rift.
Note that this is very early test, there are still various artifacts, most visible on the grass tops and window sides.

On Youtube select the 3D mode and a viewing method of your choice. I forgot to set up audio recording properly so now I'm replacing the audio track there ::)

Unexpectedly, 3D projection adds volume to the flat 2D trees.

Here is also a couple of screenshots in anaglyph and interleaved formats: http://outerra.minus.com/mMpDcBLcz/1g
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:22:39 pm by cameni »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Stereoscopic 3D
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 03:35:56 pm »

Youtube audio swap seems to have broken the recorded stereoscopic layout. Anyone seeing it right?

OK fixed now.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:40:17 pm by cameni »

ddenn

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:38:26 pm »

Very nice! Works fine for me in side by side view.

P.s. Do you have any schedule on Outerra? I'm wondering when we possibly could expect new features, and what these features would be? Personally I'm interested in object importer, and variety of the terrain and vegetation
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 04:34:10 pm »

Yes but without exact dates :)

There are always two major features developed in parallel, right now it's the importer (will be followed by 3D trees) and the biomes (it's a huge task so it's split into smaller blocks, first the real-world tree coverage ...). Minor features may come at any time in between, just like the stereoscopic rendering.

ddenn

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 04:50:40 pm »

Very good, that's enough info for me :) Thanks
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

deathevor

• User
    • Sk-Films
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 06:26:47 pm »

Again the same question as on Facebook - is there no way to make it work with Nvidia 3D vision?
VFx Artist/Supervisor, Private Pilot - www.sk-films.com

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 07:04:08 pm »

Not until Nvidia 3D vision supports OpenGL, or can accept picture in a 3D format directly. The former is complicated by their marketing policy, they want to force companies to buy their professional line of graphics cards. In OpenGL, which is more used in the professional field, they don't support stereoscopic rendering on the consumer-level graphics. I'm not sure about the latter. If you have a video in a side-by-side format, can you play it via 3D vision using a common player?

deathevor

• User
    • Sk-Films
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 07:21:09 pm »

Side-by-side, Under/Over can be played using 3D vision (and many other options) using:

1) Stereoscopic Player - http://www.3dtv.at/Index_en.aspx (paid)
2) Sview - http://www.sview.ru/en/ (free)

Here's screenshot of S-view supported devices:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:26:54 pm by deathevor »

deathevor

• User
    • Sk-Films
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 07:40:38 pm »

Actually, this might be helpfull:

This guy - http://kostasoft.com/ (Konstantin Smirnov)
did a stereoscopic plugin for Adobe Premiere CS4 (back when the only one consumer available costed $3000) - his was for free.
(http://kostasoft.com/index.php?mod=pages&page=montage)

He did it with help from the guy who created S-view (I think it related to s-view code). In the end of last link he mentions that.

So to my concern Adobe Premiere doesn't use DirectX. Otherwise there was OpenGL support.

So plugin worked with double width sequence (for example - 3840x1080) dividing it in two feeds and feeding it full screen to 3D monitor  (which in my case was second monitor).

So my idea/suggestion is - if Outerra can run  in background (if necessary) -> feed side-by-side or other formats to s-view (by this I call the plugin),
and it would show it to full-screen using any output methods included in s-view.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 07:54:24 pm »

I presume this tech is what will power an adjustable angle triplehead with three individual render sources, one for each screen. Hrm. Triplehead with 3D and individual cameras for the screens will require six renders.. Better save up for more video cards.

It should also help with my insanity six screen setup which I wouldn't run in 3D anyway.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:56:17 pm by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 01:00:27 am »

So to my concern Adobe Premiere doesn't use DirectX. Otherwise there was OpenGL support.

So plugin worked with double width sequence (for example - 3840x1080) dividing it in two feeds and feeding it full screen to 3D monitor  (which in my case was second monitor).
Looked around about the Adobe Premiere, and found what I expected:
I asked my contacts in the NVIDIA 3D Visio group about it and their answer was that GeForce cards will not work with the Neo stereo imaging pipeline. This is due to the fact that GeForce cards don’t support OpenGL Quadbuffered stereo. GeForce cards use NVIDIA’s consumer stereo drivers which hook off DX and only work full-screen; however, even though GeForce cards can drive some stereo full-screen in this fashion, as mentioned – they don’t do it via Quadbuffered OpenGL, which is what is used in the Neo stereo pipeline.

But the sview guy hints how he is doing it via OpenGL:

Software Pageflip

sView provides software emulated pageflip mode for shutter glasses (in addition to hardware accelerated). You should understand that this feature couldn't provide 100% stability for shutter glasses to work due to NO any hardware callback used in this case. Also you will need activate/disactivate glasses controller yourself (if manufacture provide that 'button' at all). Without synchronization views can be randomly reversed during stereo viewing. Some recommendations to work with software pageflip:

• Close any other application before starting sView (especially worked in 3D).
  • It was noted that most problems happens during intensive I/O (from/to hard drive for example).
  • To work good software emulation needs as less interfering factors as possible. If your hardware is slow you may try to reduce monitor resolution and/or frequency. Heavy images and videos will load your system stronger.
  • Software emulation uses vertical sync feature provided by OpenGL driver. That means if your driver vendor provide bad implementation (or doesn't provide it at all) image maybe broken! Noticed that NVIDIA drivers are not good over Windows Vista+ and may render corrupted image (partially).
  • On multi-monitor system drivers can lock vertical sync to wrong monitor (connected not for shutter glasses) especially if monitors use different vertical frequency. Software emulation will not work at all in this case. Try to disconnect some monitors or to update the drivers.
Not the most robust method, and for games and a changing load it's much harder to keep stable frame rate at all times  :(

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 01:03:09 am »

I presume this tech is what will power an adjustable angle triplehead with three individual render sources, one for each screen.
Nope, this reprojects 2D+depth into stereo, individual viewports will require separate frustums and separate rendering passes. Stereo can be applied on them as well.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 02:53:48 am »

Interesting..
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo