Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Modifying Sounds  (Read 4042 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Modifying Sounds
« on: August 12, 2012, 03:22:09 pm »

I spent some time replacing the default sounds in OT. Mono, Stereo, some test wav's and frequency sweeps. I thought the sound origins would be fixed in the world but it appears that they are simply activated on the player's position and follow you around.

Stereo Wav's play properly but left and right are affixed to left and right outputs instead of, for example, the idle sound of the 8x8 has hardly any drop-off when moving away.

I also get some pops in my loops and am wondering if there is anything particular that has to be done with the file to correct that.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Modifying Sounds
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 03:29:32 pm »

Sounds should be mono, as the stereo aspect is computed by the 3D audio engine. Origins are fixed in the world, on a fixed grid around the player. Sounds that go out of range are removed and new ones created when you approach the grid position.

Pops in the loops? And do they loop right in the editor?

Chaoz

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 04:30:09 pm »

:d nice idea, i tried to let my cessna sound like a mig but i never got a perfect loop, you still could hear the beginning... sounded good though :D

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 02:50:38 am »

OK, I got the loop working with no pop. But for some reason during the switch from the diesel-engine-start to the diesel-engine-idle sound (as seen with the Ctrl-4 dialog) there is an audible pause in-game although nothing like that should exist in the files themselves. It occurs regardless of the length of the start sound. I am attaching a gallery with the sounds inside in-case anyone wants to take a peak and see what I am doing wrong.

http://minus.com/mxxtVdIfN/2g

Also contains some replacement ocean sounds taken from FLAC sources. All FreeSound.org Stuff as well.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 03:23:20 am »

The pause is a bug in the audio engine.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 03:32:47 am »

YEAH!!!! Not my fault WOOhOOO!!