Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Control Inputs and Possible Outputs.  (Read 16808 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Control Inputs and Possible Outputs.
« on: September 02, 2010, 04:02:15 am »

It just dawned on me that in the Himalayas video the truck was driving on a gentle bend in the road and the wheels aren't jerking around like your using keys (possibly mouse steer?), but flying the Cessna would be a difficult task without some form of full analog input. So what are the engines current inputs? Do you have a joystick or wheel input that is able to be used?

Now onto the other end. What data could the engine output for external screens and programs to use? I know the flight sim crowd (at least the crazy ones) http://www.goodrich.com/presskit/paris2009/images/FlightSimulatorDisplay.jpg will want their full cockpits to use every gauge externally with some sort of controller. And I use my networked netbook to display stats for rfactor.

Sort of a side question.. Would the ability to run Outerra on multiple screens IE eyefinity or a simple dual monitor be the responsibility of the engine and you to develop? I have always wanted an outerra sized world with a full time dynamic map on a second monitor. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/Forums/p1105091710s3.jpg
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 07:25:23 am »

It autodetects joysticks and the axes can be bound to vehicle inputs. So yes we used joysticks and a wheel when making the video.
As for the other input types I don't know yet.

Multiple 3D screens are our responsibility, and in fact we should be dealing with that soon because of one possible project ..

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:59:17 pm »

Quote from: cameni
one possible project ..

How mysterious and intriguing... and awesome.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 01:16:45 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
How mysterious and intriguing... and awesome.
You know what else is awesome?  Welcome to the realm of senior members!
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

corona

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 04:16:46 pm »

Please just make sure you support arbitrary controllers, and hopefully diff. profiles will be possible depending on the vehicle (or foot) you're in. Oh, and TrackIR, TrackIR, TrackIR. Mhh ok? :-)

On a sidenode, I recently purchased 2 games, Just Cause 2 and Mafia II, and guess what, both only support the XBox 360 controller. WTF, when did that trend start to happen. Now you need to use some sort of external xbox controller fake program to get your joystick to work. This is rediculouse. I first noticed it when I bought GTA IV a while ago, Gaming for Windows my ass, more like gaming for XBox controller.

Sorry for the little rant.

Abc94

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 04:29:01 pm »

Quote from: corona
On a sidenode, I recently purchased 2 games, Just Cause 2 and Mafia II, and guess what, both only support the XBox 360 controller.

I know somebody who has Just Cause 2 for his PC and he doesn't need to use an Xbox controller.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 04:32:30 pm »

As long is it supports multiple joysticks and multiple keys for inputs.

I swear. In arma2 I have my forward walking set to my keyboard in 2 spots and to my analog gas pedal from my racing wheel. Push a little and walk slow, half to run, full to sprint. Excellent. Shame most other games dont support multiple bindings.

corona

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 06:45:11 am »

Quote from: Abc94
Quote from: corona
On a sidenode, I recently purchased 2 games, Just Cause 2 and Mafia II, and guess what, both only support the XBox 360 controller.

I know somebody who has Just Cause 2 for his PC and he doesn't need to use an Xbox controller.

Well, then your friend must have a diff. version for me. Mine supports keyboard/mouse and the xbox 360 controller, but not my logitech joystick. I searched the webs and found the only way to make arbritrary controllers work was with http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/ which I remembered back when I played GTA IV as I said. Same for Mafia II.

Abc94

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 02:57:03 pm »

Oh ok never mind.  I was thinking you could only use a controller and not a keyboard or mouse.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.