Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Geology raster layer for slope remapping to different texture  (Read 9297 times)

Timmo

Geology raster layer for slope remapping to different texture
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:56:07 pm »

What would be good in Outerra are rocky outcrops on areas with high slope show slightly different texture variations depending on the underlying geology.

This could be defined with a fairly low resolution raster (~ 1km as geology generally doesn't change over a small distance) and would only need a few classes to cover the range of different rock 'colours' that out-crop on steep slopes (i.e. tan mudstone, grey schist/greywacke, orange/brown sandstones in the grandcanyon, white/light grey limestone, white chalk)

This would avoid tying the rock types to specific land classes so you could re-use say, a pine landcover texture regardless of whether that pine forest was sitting on top mudstone or schist. It would also allow better definition of large open-pit mines.

I've just released a landclass/texture update for FSX for New Zealand and one of the things that 'would have been cool' was to properly map the underlying geology so that when the FSX scenery engine remapped the landcover texture to rock on steep slopes, that rock would change depending on where you were in the country...unfortunately it is not possible to do in FSX without seriously re-working the textures (Some screen shots if anyone is interested: http://www.vectorlandclass.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=65)

(I'd also say, don't be too pushed to get a demo of Outerra out if it means hacking stuff together just to get it to work in time :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Geology raster layer for slope remapping to different texture
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:04:35 am »

Yes, I was talking about an extended land class info, but that extension would be if fact orthogonal and independent from the land class like you say.

But it will be worked on only after the demo.