Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30

Author Topic: Importer  (Read 288078 times)

monks

Re: Importer
« Reply #330 on: May 09, 2013, 06:18:38 pm »

Sorry triple post this. I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with the normal map. I think something is happening to the header and Max can't read it. I've been at it for the last 5 hours and I'm out of ideas.

Does anyone here use the nvidia texture tools with Photoshop? Could anyone create a normal map to test here? I can upload the file. I'm trying to test whether it's my export settings, my version of Photoshop, or Max. I'm using CS6 and Max 2013 here. (I don't need you to have same versions.)

monks

deathevor

• User
    • Sk-Films
« Reply #331 on: May 09, 2013, 06:58:10 pm »

Hi Monks,

Hated Nvidia Texture Tools (especially Photoshop version for it's slowness (in terms of their UI workflow).
Found this one - AMD The Compressonator
Download Here:
http://developer.amd.com/resources/archive/archived-tools/gpu-tools-archive/the-compressonator/

First of all, here's the list of DDS settings that Outerra needs- http://xtrac.outerraworld.com/trac.fcgi/wiki/material

However, for Normals - BC5 option didn't work well (A lot of gliches in Outerra).
I'm using ATI2N option (Compress-> ATI3Dc Compression->ATI2N )

Works perfect for me.

P.s. Hope Didn't confused the options :)
VFx Artist/Supervisor, Private Pilot - www.sk-films.com

deathevor

• User
    • Sk-Films
« Reply #332 on: May 09, 2013, 06:59:37 pm »

[Deleted comment] Some error happened here
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:35:34 pm by deathevor »

monks

« Reply #333 on: May 10, 2013, 05:17:08 am »

Thanks deathevor. I've installed compressionator and compressed a normals file and tried loading it in Max but
I still get the same result. So that suggests that the problem might be with Max. I installed Max 2012, and I get the same. So this is happening in both 2012 and 13 versions with both nvifdia and ATI compression. I've also tried gimp output too and same thing. Same problems importing into Maya as well. I can open up a file fine when they are in the dxt1 format. I'm doing something wrong here.  :P

Basic assumptions...do normal maps need to be greyscale, or rgb? Does the file need an alpha channel?

Any chance of you creating a normal map from the attached and uploading it so I can test it?

monks

ddenn

« Reply #334 on: May 10, 2013, 05:22:49 am »

Why do you trying use DDS textures in Max? I use .psd format in Max material, and OT importer automatically renames them to dds in the .matlib file. All I need to do after that is copy converted dds to the package folder. That's how you texture should looks like (I use photoshop nvidia dds pluging, dxt1 4bpp no alpha, works fine)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:27:40 am by ddenn »
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

monks

« Reply #335 on: May 10, 2013, 05:39:15 am »

But the converted dds is the problem. It didn't work in Outerra (no visual effect) so I tried to test whether the file itself was ok by importing it into Max. Errors. Having had the problems in Max with it, I presumed that the problem was with the file in Outerra.
 Yes, I've got normals to work in Max using other file formats, so that just leads me to think it's the file itself. What's more Dxt1 is fine in Max.
 Another reason I was trying to get it into Max was because I wanted the normal map exported with the opencollada export into the package. I didn't want to have to mess with any configuration files to link it. I'm a noob to this so I'm trying to keep things as simple as I can for now. But, if I have to reconfigure files then so be it.

//thank dden just saw the file.Wil ltry it!

monks

monks

« Reply #336 on: May 10, 2013, 05:47:30 am »

You're using Dxt1 for normals which explains why your file just opened fine in Max. My Dxt1s do as well. I thought it said in the materials wiki that we should use 3Dc/ATI2 format? What's the difference?

monks

ddenn

« Reply #337 on: May 10, 2013, 05:51:15 am »

I see now. Check imported object' .matlib file, and add your normals dds to the object material, here's the example from OT Cessna:
   {
      "name" : "Cessna_EXT",
      "diffuse" : "1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0",
      "Ax" : "1.0",
      "Ay" : "0.06",
      "m" : "0.6",
      "tex_diffuse" : "Cessna_EXT.dds",
      "tex_normal" : "Cessna_EXT_norm.dds",
      "tex_env" : "Cessna_EXT_rg.dds",
      "tex_reflectance" : "Cessna_EXT_re.dds",
      "tex_opacity" : ""
   },

I've no idea, I used 3Dc/ATI2 before and it works OK, then I tried Photoshop' dxt1 and it works fine as well, so I stick with it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:55:37 am by ddenn »

About Outerra in Russian

monks

« Reply #338 on: May 10, 2013, 06:00:25 am »

Cool, so there's some flexibility, unless the devs can add anything, then that's fine with me as well  :) Maybe if deathevor can upload a version in the 3dc, AT12n or whatever he's using we can get to the bottom of it. Thanks for the info!

monks

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #339 on: May 10, 2013, 06:56:35 am »

Max probably doesn't support the 3Dc/ATI2 DDS format, not many programs do. It provides a better quality for the normal maps, but I guess if you want to keep your pipeline simplified, you can stick to DXT1, at least until the importer starts converting the textures automatically.

monks

« Reply #340 on: May 10, 2013, 07:24:40 am »

It's fixed now then- I'm getting the normal mapped object.  :) I'm documenting it as I go along. Maybe I should upload it at some point for folks who are new to this but it's really basic stuff though at the mo, it would be more comprehensive with more complex objects.

monks

deathevor

• User
    • Sk-Films
« Reply #341 on: May 10, 2013, 05:43:52 pm »

Two questions to Cameni:

1) 3D Max object with diffuse and bump texture (using "Normal to Bump" map)-> Export with Open Collada.
Import in Outerra-> loose Normal map (not listed in Matlib).
Is it due to Normal to Bump?

2) Looks like Outerra doesn't recognize material settings from Max (Specular, Glossines levels)?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #342 on: May 11, 2013, 01:31:34 am »

Those are questions for Angrypig, but I guess it's just a problem of the importer not recognizing all the material settings properly. One thing that we learned too late when implementing the import was that Collada is a mess of a format, things can be specified in multiple ways and thus each modeler does it differently, and consequently the importer has to have code specific for each of them ...

deathevor

• User
    • Sk-Films
« Reply #343 on: May 11, 2013, 10:43:35 am »

Thanks

ddenn

« Reply #344 on: May 25, 2013, 10:29:42 am »

About .otx files - it doesn't work for aircraft addons, it doesn't include jsbsim FDM files

About Outerra in Russian
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30