Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Vehicle Force Feedback for Controllers  (Read 4300 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Vehicle Force Feedback for Controllers
« on: October 16, 2012, 03:34:11 am »

I am starting this topic just to get a foothold on the concepts we will need to develop to really get OT into the realm of physically controlled simulator.

Although not sure if modern flight simulators use ForceFeedBack(FFB) in their controls I certainly know Driving simulators will need this implemented. Not understanding the actual mechanics behind FFB development I have invited TechAde, the man responsible for coding the RealFeel plugin for rfactor here to hopefully discuss the whats and where's of FFB development (hopefully with Camnei) to get OT on track since the backend needs modification. I am sure if there are any limitations in current generation games concerning FFB they can be completely overcome here in outerra at this stage before the vehicle importer is even completed.

I want to try and get as many helpful and knowledgeable people here on this forum as I can to assist in the development advice side of things. Perhaps there is a way to implement FFB better then ever before and since OT is so fresh, new and open it would be the perfect platform for experimentation.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:38:22 am by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

TechAde

Re: Vehicle Force Feedback for Controllers
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 03:43:15 am »

Hiya,

Do you have any specific questions you'd like my thoughts on?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Vehicle Force Feedback for Controllers
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 03:51:19 am »

Well we can start with what you would want from an engine that you don't have now, what info you would get from a simulator to derive a FFB value. At this point I don't think any forces are output by the vehicle(singular) in-game. Soon enough however vehicle import will be a commonality and I just want to make sure the devs (who are wonderful and brilliant but have no knowledge of FFB) take whatever steps are needed NOW to guarantee proper FFB implementation later.

I guess a dialog between you and Cameni or AngryPig would need to take place to really get down to the business of I/O and coding.

Wheels currently work as input devices but there is no communication back for force. Would you know what sort of internal communications needs to be set up? These are the things the devs need to know and I am hoping you have more of a clue than I do.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo