Outerra Engine > News

Test of vehicle physics

<< < (2/3) > >>

cameni:

--- Quote from: KuMoNKo ---Hello.
Near the end of the video, the truck losses control and I think it is caused by the low level of detail in the surface when the camera moves far from the truck.
How are you planning to prevent that type "crazy" physics in the horizon? Is it possible to increase/decrease LOD distance actually? Will it be possible?

Keep up the good work!
--- End quote ---
Hi,
the loss of control is due to the sharp turn I made there, trying to control both the camera and vehicle simultaneously (and failing ;))

Otherwise, the detail needed for vehicle physics is available for about 2.5km from the camera, where the vehicle screen size is two or three pixels and nobody would notice the change of detail anyway. Additionally, the data needed for the vehicles and the data used for rendering are actually separate things. The vehicles can keep the data tiles they need regardless of whether the camera goes to Argentina in the meantime.

helio2:
Alright its Jan 2010! when can we expect a test drive??

Drooling....Physics...planet!

cameni:

--- Quote from: helio2 ---Alright its Jan 2010! when can we expect a test drive??

Drooling....Physics...planet!
--- End quote ---
:D

Well, the most critical thing is fixing the problems with ATI cards. With OpenGL 3.2 drivers finally available it should be easier, although from what I've read they are still buggy.

We want also to have the shadows working, and a considerable amount of time has to go into making the demo at least somewhat user friendly. There's quite a lot of small things that have to be done, although we need to draw the line somewhere.

But we probably could use some dedicated testers before the demo will be publicly out, to test it with different graphics cards and configurations.

helio2:
How are you guys doing the shadowing in the engine?

cameni:
Here are some screenshots from early implementation of shadows by Angrypig. There are still some problems, making it work on such scale is not easy, but the shadows are giving it whole different look already.

There is also updated T813 model.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version