Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Test of vehicle physics  (Read 27847 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Test of vehicle physics
« on: December 09, 2009, 05:26:03 pm »

First test of vehicle physics in the engine. Camera isn't yet attached to the vehicle so I had to chase it, without much success I admit :)
Also it's really easy to lose sight of the truck in the big world.

[youtube]47paAW7ljRc[/youtube]

helio2

Test of vehicle physics
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 04:52:24 pm »

OMG! That's so freaking awesome! I like how the truck was dropped and when it hit the ground the shocks were active. it gives a very good representation of the heaviness of the truck. Everything is just so responsive about the vehicle physics! What kind of options did u guys tweak for that truck? As far as its weight and wheel friction or does the engine know how much it weights by the size or how does it work? Cause i noticed the truck skid of the side of the hill till it came to a quick stop in the beginning.
Outerra needs a Planet size modifier.   < nuff said!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Test of vehicle physics
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 05:05:45 pm »

I applied brakes at the beginning, to get around the truck, and then released. After that I only two times hit the directional controls because I could not manage both the camera and the truck.

Otherwise, the weight was set to 3500kg and suspension stiffness and damping (and other parameters) can be tweaked too.
But the tire model isn't very good yet, adheres too much now.

pico

• http://
Test of vehicle physics
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 08:53:18 am »

...nice! =)

KuMoNKo

Test of vehicle physics
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 07:37:24 am »

Hello.

Near the end of the video, the truck losses control and I think it is caused by the low level of detail in the surface when the camera moves far from the truck.
How are you planning to prevent that type "crazy" physics in the horizon? Is it possible to increase/decrease LOD distance actually? Will it be possible?

Keep up the good work!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Test of vehicle physics
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 10:15:51 am »

Quote from: KuMoNKo
Hello.
Near the end of the video, the truck losses control and I think it is caused by the low level of detail in the surface when the camera moves far from the truck.
How are you planning to prevent that type "crazy" physics in the horizon? Is it possible to increase/decrease LOD distance actually? Will it be possible?

Keep up the good work!
Hi,
the loss of control is due to the sharp turn I made there, trying to control both the camera and vehicle simultaneously (and failing ;))

Otherwise, the detail needed for vehicle physics is available for about 2.5km from the camera, where the vehicle screen size is two or three pixels and nobody would notice the change of detail anyway. Additionally, the data needed for the vehicles and the data used for rendering are actually separate things. The vehicles can keep the data tiles they need regardless of whether the camera goes to Argentina in the meantime.

helio2

Test of vehicle physics
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 12:03:42 pm »

Alright its Jan 2010! when can we expect a test drive??

Drooling....Physics...planet!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Test of vehicle physics
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 04:52:32 pm »

Quote from: helio2
Alright its Jan 2010! when can we expect a test drive??

Drooling....Physics...planet!
:D

Well, the most critical thing is fixing the problems with ATI cards. With OpenGL 3.2 drivers finally available it should be easier, although from what I've read they are still buggy.

We want also to have the shadows working, and a considerable amount of time has to go into making the demo at least somewhat user friendly. There's quite a lot of small things that have to be done, although we need to draw the line somewhere.

But we probably could use some dedicated testers before the demo will be publicly out, to test it with different graphics cards and configurations.

helio2

Test of vehicle physics
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:51:19 pm »

How are you guys doing the shadowing in the engine?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Test of vehicle physics
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 04:23:57 pm »

Here are some screenshots from early implementation of shadows by Angrypig. There are still some problems, making it work on such scale is not easy, but the shadows are giving it whole different look already.

There is also updated T813 model.

helio2

Test of vehicle physics
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 07:05:30 pm »

Wow that looks so awesome. The shadowing really gives it contrast and that new truck looks great! love the shadowing so far

Dunlop

Test of vehicle physics
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 05:12:08 pm »

Speaking of shadows,

What kind of implementation of light are you going to use?  Can more light sources besides the sun be defined? If yes, can they also cast shadows? To other objects or terrain only?

and late happy new year to the Outerra team and forum,
- Dunlop

angrypig

Test of vehicle physics
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 04:23:59 pm »

Quote from: Dunlop
Speaking of shadows,

What kind of implementation of light are you going to use?  Can more light sources besides the sun be defined? If yes, can they also cast shadows? To other objects or terrain only?

and late happy new year to the Outerra team and forum,
- Dunlop

Hi Dunlop,

The only light we have is the sun now. Later we plan to implement a deferred lighting model so the number of lights won't be limited and they will cast shadows too.

Angrypig

Test of vehicle physics
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 05:48:02 am »

very wicked stuff you have going on here. the reason for this reply is i read in a reply above that you could use some dedicated testers. if this is still true i would be honored to be a tester for you guys. i have experience in testing many many games, mods and a few engines and have all kinds of free time which makes me available just about 24/7 for testing. i helped co-found a indy game title but thats over with now lol i am a novice 3dsmax modeler and i am also a great team player. so with this said i beg of you to please consider me for a tester. i am willing to sign a NDA if needed.