Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: What would YOU do with this engine?  (Read 72801 times)

Matt6767

What would YOU do with this engine?
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2011, 02:45:22 am »

I'm thinking of 2 games

- A game similar to Wurm where you create you own colony and fight for territorial control against 2 other factions. You had to rely heavily on natural resources including wood and stone. What was awesome about it was the teamwork. A few other guys and I searched for a nice spot to settle and once we did we created a large fort that took almost 2 or more weeks to complete, we could never do it alone though, everything was so hard to do alone that teamwork was necesary so ya a lot of colonies were often created.  Took like 2-3 weeks to complete but we eventually lost the fort though after it was invaded by overwhelming numbers of a enemy faction. But ya it was pretty awesome.  :D

-The second game would be WWII, it just seems right since the war took place pretty much everywhere in land, sea, and air. The WWII Online: Battleground Europe players drool at this engine a lot btw.

rati

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2011, 07:12:18 am »

Good afternoon. I really like the game arma 2, and when I saw your engine, I was very happy. If you are familiar with the game arma 2 as you think you can on your engine to make the game arma??

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2011, 09:58:13 am »

Surely a game like Arma can be done on it, but of course it would require much more than just a terrain engine. As Matt6767 and others said, Battleground Europe is another such game that already uses large terrains, and would benefit hugely from world rendering that we have got here.
However I do not think existing games can be updated to use the engine - it will have to be a clean start. But I'm sure sooner or later it will happen, someone will invest into such project fulfilling the dream of many :)

rati

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2011, 02:09:36 pm »

and how many people can be that on this planet to play? may be 50000 people online? Well arma 2, only 120 people is not a 50000? For this to be a real war on 25000 25000. is that possible??

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2011, 03:27:05 pm »

Well what was I saying - Outerra is a terrain engine, with integrated physics. However, it does not integrate networking, so the question is irrelevant. You will have to address it to a game that will be using the engine - every game can have different needs and possibilities.

geneb

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2011, 10:40:31 am »

One of the aspects that makes WWIIOL playable is that the world is generated at half scale to keep the travel distances manageable by the players.  Nobody would play if it took 8 hours to fly from a base in the UK to go bomb Berlin. :)

g.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2011, 10:50:07 am »

For 4 hours is it OK? ;)

Matt6767

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2011, 12:46:54 pm »

Quote from: geneb
One of the aspects that makes WWIIOL playable is that the world is generated at half scale to keep the travel distances manageable by the players.  Nobody would play if it took 8 hours to fly from a base in the UK to go bomb Berlin. :)

g.
Some would, but the rest with little patience or time can always bomb the closer towns, army bases, forward bases, strategic targets, grab a dive bomber and pick out those armored vehicles or naval ships.

Currently in WWII online you don't really have to fly from so far back though, High Command can always move in bomber units to a closer airfield near the frontline to reduce the trip to the enemy factories. So yeah most likely no one would fly from the U.K. to Berlin unless the Allied forces were pushed out of mainland europe, even then one would wonder why you would be bombing Berlin when you have more important targets to worry about...

Naval ships on the other hand would take several hours to get from one spot to another but most simulator guys don't really mind, just the quick action guys...

.......and whats the point of a 1:1 scale of earth then if no one wants to take the time to fly/drive/walk/sail to a certain location? lol

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2011, 01:28:13 pm »

Quote from: Matt6767
whats the point of a 1:1 scale of earth then if no one wants to take the time to fly/drive/walk/sail to a certain location? lol

Agreed, to a point. I don't want teleportation but I would still like to be able to cross the Atlantic in an evening. You know what. Screw it. If I want to cross the Atlantic I best break plans with the real world because I need to concentrate on my flight or insanely long boat ride. Driving is where some trips may get tedious. Flight simmers are use to absolutely nothing for hours on end. But if your driving and all you see is strait road for hours and hours (talking about places like the plains of north America) that could become tiresome with no towns or signs or anything. Then again. odds are there may be no roads. God this game is going to be a long hauler. I just realized there is a good chance I will never circle the globe in the game. No matter how long you play. It is going to come down to there may be too much to do at home base to have the time to go globe trotting. Just like real life.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

DanielK

« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2011, 02:44:57 pm »

First post here, and I must say this project is very interesting!

I think the future will gather many simulator games on one massive platform like this one.

I like to use Flight Simulator, and i fly online on VATSIM with other people acting as Air Traffic Controllers. ( Im also an ATC on Vatsim).

I imagine myself flying over Europe, someone below me are driving a train, a truck, a ship or any other vehicle someone would want to simulate. Perhaps do i have virtual passengers who need to travel in some kind of business or strategic simulator. And they have chosen my virtual airline because we have a good rating due to other successful flights.

Also i might be flying over the middle east, were a war is being fought between people enjoying first person shooter games.
Maybe I'm flying the troops to the war zone?

On final approach to an airport i see a racetrack, where a car-race is being held.

Anyone share my vision? :)

TankBo

« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2011, 04:31:29 pm »

Quote from: DanielK
Anyone share my vision? :)
I do. ;)

Seriously, the interesting fact is that if it's going in the proper direction, your ideas could become reality. Normally the amount of work wouldn't be really handable, even not by a larger group of people. But having one platform with an interface that allows to build on top of it, then I see no reason why more and more environments shouldn't find their way into Outerra.

I find it interesting how everybody dreams of being able to reflect our reality to a game. :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2011, 05:05:36 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
I just realized there is a good chance I will never circle the globe in the game. No matter how long you play. It is going to come down to there may be too much to do at home base to have the time to go globe trotting. Just like real life.
I think there's no need to focus on a single instance of self in the world. In the game, I plan to be the whole colony. One will be able to schedule transports that will proceed automatically, but you'll be able to take over to experience it. Or you could go freewheeling when you know your people are working according to the schedule you defined.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2011, 05:08:08 pm »

Quote from: TankBo
I find it interesting how everybody dreams of being able to reflect our reality to a game. :)
Yeah, I find it funny too. But it applies only to certain aspects of reality. I think nobody will be locked in an office in Outerra programming stuff  :D

Jagerbomber

« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2011, 07:34:48 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Quote from: TankBo
Yeah, I find it funny too. But it applies only to certain aspects of reality. I think nobody will be locked in an office in Outerra programming stuff  :D

That's why that part is missing in the Sims.  :lol:  Though, if you aren't controlling other sims, you might have to sit there until they come home...  :/
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2011, 09:29:41 pm »

All of this is leading up to the plot of the movie "the thirteenth floor" Although OT already has those programmers beat as the whole world is simulated. Maybe its more like the matrix? Where we can be the agents and AI is the helpless people. Unfortunately that would involve some sort of interplanetary war against machine to have to take place in our reality first. Hrm. I guess we could just layer that world under ours then have the "matrix" world under that....

... Inception
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7