Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: What would YOU do with this engine?  (Read 69582 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
What would YOU do with this engine?
« on: September 18, 2010, 03:33:10 am »

This thread will have a very simple point. Just take what you know about Outerra and describe what "Game" you would like to play out in the world.

==========================================

My idea is pretty simple. Back in the day I was a HUGE fan of Interstate76. Auto Vigilante combat at its finest. The maps were huge sprawling desert roads through what 1997 graphics could call mountains. The year is 1976 and you are recruited to take the place of your recently deceased sister and avenge her death. You join her partner Taurus and mechanic Skeeter to continue their mission of revenge and proceed to murder crooked cops and other baddies with your armored up and armed muscle cars until you find the man who killed her.

Here is the intro

The game had a good story, just the right amount of humor and at the time realistic driving physics. Oh, and you "never get out of the car"..

Now, 13 years later I envision a massive multiplayer version. Baddies, Creepers, Vigilantes, Crooked cops all playing "Somewhere in the Southwest". MMO's are all elf, middle-earth cookie cutters of wow. Put some realistic driving physics and ballistics to work in the Desert areas of outerra and I can see gangs being formed, Drug cartel's taking over and You will need to choose who you are in this hellhole. Hundreds of miles could separate your next target. Maybe you need to protect a convoy carrying precious fuel for a long haul. Get the munitions from the airport. Fly the plane back over to Mexico. Etc Etc

I am sure more will come to me with this concept. I will edit this post with my ideas.

=======================================

Now you post your ideas for use of the OT engine.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

ddenn

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 04:52:44 am »

I remember Interstate76 as well, spent a lot of time playing it a long time ago. MMO in this setting would be very nice.

Personally I'd prefer multiple simulator with civil aviation sim, auto and train sim, and sea vehicles sim  in the OT world, in MMO setting as well. We already have IVAO and VATSIM nets for avsims, where some people prefer to fly aircraft and some to work in the control tower, so we would see something similar in the sim-game on the OT engine.
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 05:07:28 am »

The concept is not exactly the same but it reminds me of recent news of Realtime World's APB MMO closing down after only two and half months. A rather unbelievable insider story of how it all went down after acquiring $100m investment can be found on Luke Halliwell's blog.

Blockaderunner

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 12:18:45 pm »

Realtime Worlds has been bought by Epic Games so this isn not an end.
Core: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition / Motherboard: Asus M4A78E /
Graphics: ZOTAC nVidia GeForce GTX260 / RAM: DDR2 Kingston HyperX 2 x 2Gb [1066Mhz] /
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500Gb

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 12:37:25 pm »

Quote from: Blockaderunner
Realtime Worlds has been bought by Epic Games so this isn not an end.
Of course it's not an end (at least from gamers' perspective), assets have been sold to pay for the debts to creditors.
From developer's point of view it certainly shows that MMO's are very risky business nowadays, and also the levels of incompetence that can break any such project.

Blockaderunner

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 04:21:44 pm »

Agree. But there won't be such APB - Epic'll do their own. So this is the end in some way.
Core: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition / Motherboard: Asus M4A78E /
Graphics: ZOTAC nVidia GeForce GTX260 / RAM: DDR2 Kingston HyperX 2 x 2Gb [1066Mhz] /
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500Gb

Stalinovas

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 06:49:18 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
This thread will have a very simple point. Just take what you know about Outerra and describe what "Game" you would like to play out in the world.

Now you post your ideas for use of the OT engine.

I would like this game to be a massive sandbox game where you can build your own world(a bit like Gmod but way bigger) and basicly you would be able to do anything you want, fly planes, make citys, and everything, download items you want and create your world with it.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:57:00 pm »

Somehow the magic of Minecraft must be applied to outerra.

It is the gaming equivalent of popping bubble wrap.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 01:07:42 am »

I would make a FPS/MMO/flight/simulator/sandbox game that simulated the whole earth, with spaceships that can take you to anywhere in the world quickly.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 03:08:38 am »

Quote from: RaikoRaufoss
with spaceships that can take you to anywhere in the world quickly.

I was thinking teleportation. But that would negate the whole purpose of having the entire world. People would end up in 5-6 square miles across a handful of teleports. Getting from North America to Australia realistically however would take several multi-hour flights.

Abc94

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 12:35:35 pm »

Or just something like noclip from Garry's Mod that acts the same way as Outerra's free camera controller.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 01:03:52 pm »

New to the forums, but I've been following this for a while and I'm extremely excited for the demo. :)

I think it would be pretty cool if it was possible to have the roads (at least in some places) created with real life road maps, but I have no idea if this is possible without doing it manually, but then again, I had no idea you could great this with topographical maps or whatever. :P  If not, after a ton of exploring, I'd work on trying to recreate the roads by my house. :D
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 01:27:02 pm »

Quote from: Jagerbomber
New to the forums, but I've been following this for a while and I'm extremely excited for the demo. :)

I think it would be pretty cool if it was possible to have the roads (at least in some places) created with real life road maps, but I have no idea if this is possible without doing it manually, but then again, I had no idea you could great this with topographical maps or whatever. :P  If not, after a ton of exploring, I'd work on trying to recreate the roads by my house. :D

It should be absolutely possible. Though it may screw up some of the terrain because the road maker limits the slope the roads can have and I am pretty sure tunnels and bridges would freak it out.

Had a though of how to get around earth in a cool way. A spawn-able cannon you climb in and tell in the Lat/Lon cords you want. And it fires you with perfect trajectory to the spot you want. You would most likely get into the upper atmosphere for a short bit before descending with a tree smashing bounce.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 01:59:40 pm »

Quote from: Jagerbomber
Should be possible later with OSM import, although probably it will have to be fine tuned and fixed manually too.

Quote from: ZeosPantera
It should be absolutely possible. Though it may screw up some of the terrain because the road maker limits the slope the roads can have and I am pretty sure tunnels and bridges would freak it out.
Tunnels and bridges aren't supported yet, but road maker limiting the slope? Can't remember where this came from, hmm.

Had a though of how to get around earth in a cool way. A spawn-able cannon you climb in and tell in the Lat/Lon cords you want. And it fires you with perfect trajectory to the spot you want. You would most likely get into the upper atmosphere for a short bit before descending with a tree smashing bounce.
Hah, that could be a game in itself :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 02:08:29 pm »

Quote from: brano.kemen
road maker limiting the slope? Can't remember where this came from, hmm.

I thought you said that somewhere.. So doesn't that mean you could have vertical roads if you found a steep enough slope?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7