Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: What would YOU do with this engine?  (Read 69583 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
What would YOU do with this engine?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 02:17:57 pm »

Roads are baked to terrain so they can have the same slope.
But now I know what you mean - I think there was some limit on how high the road can be from the lowest point on the terrain tile (2.5km x 2.5km). I think it was 512 meters .. or 1km? But it can be fixed if it ever becomes a problem.

Josedav

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 08:05:31 am »

New to the forum here- so I'll probably only repeat whats been put forth already...I see Outerra coming to full potential somewhat as a universal inde developer's mall...a platform providing ultimate interlinked game variety- attracting the vast numbers (who would not be inclined otherwise) to participate in purchasing whole games as add-ons for their main hobby interest--opportunities to develop in this direction certainly could be nothing short of a win-win for everyone concerned with sim.
Countless have pondered how great it would be to go from one game into another, joining the best of different virtual worlds- without shutting down the PC or having to open a new program!
As a flight simmer, I'd be more than a little enthused to purchase specialty transportation and railway games if they were interactive (which I would not do otherwise) for the added immersion factor of flight simming. The sheer magnitude of this endeavor would certainly dwarf a single company yet could be easily accomplished by many developers from various specialty parts of the industry consolidated in a "one" world platform. No brainer to determine a literal transformation of simming as we know it...
Of course on a smaller scale this has been going on for years in FSX as well as many other game types- inde's  such as FTX (truly outstanding company) getting on board adding their wares to enhance basic foundation code . A new approach would go much further involving unrelated game venues together in a completely interactive environment across the board-- bringing about a much deeper immersion experience for everyone.
In the wake of this the entire game industry most certainly would find an exciting new market niche incorporating "universally compatible" code into their product simply to make it go both ways- either as a stand alone product or with the added capability of being joined together with other games in a one world interactive platform.
To name just a few of the special ones "Celestia" and "The Hunter" easily come to mind-and when combined with the outstanding Outerra engine- would have to be a marriage made in virtual heaven...

The concept of leasing mall space for developer shops in Outerra should be very attractive indeed-- as many store shops unified in a central mall have a much bigger and better chance for success than those separated and inconveniently isolated from the rest---
Joseph L.

Blockaderunner

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 08:42:47 am »

Lat/Lon-Gun good for demo but for final version it will be cheat-machine I suppose.
Core: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition / Motherboard: Asus M4A78E /
Graphics: ZOTAC nVidia GeForce GTX260 / RAM: DDR2 Kingston HyperX 2 x 2Gb [1066Mhz] /
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500Gb

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 08:58:20 am »

Quote from: Josedav
As a flight simmer, I'd be more than a little enthused to purchase specialty transportation and railway games if they were interactive (which I would not do otherwise) for the added immersion factor of flight simming. The sheer magnitude of this endeavor would certainly dwarf a single company yet could be easily accomplished by many developers from various specialty parts of the industry consolidated in a "one" world platform.
Yes, definitely it would come with that synergetic effect. I'm just a little bit worried how such a mall will be able to combine the commercial and freeware/open source content into one platform, from the legal viewpoint. For example, I know that freeware simulators mostly don't need to bother with brand recognition, whereas lawyers are likely to go after commercial ones unless the rights were obtained, that kind of thing.

What we'd like to achieve is that you'd be able to see an Airbus by, say, Aerosoft, even when you didn't buy the plugin yet. That would be like an unobtrusive in game advertisement - you see a plane at an airport, you want it - you buy it online in-game, a plugin for its systems simulation is downloaded on the background and you are able to fly it right there. Same with any other kind of vehicles or activities. Content such as airports is different, but it too can be shown as downloadable content in-place, with automatic trials or in prepaid packages where you are paying only for the content you are actually using, etc etc.

Josedav

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 09:13:06 pm »

Quote from: brano.kemen
Yes, definitely it would come with that synergetic effect. I'm just a little bit worried how such a mall will be able to combine the commercial and freeware/open source content into one platform, from the legal viewpoint. For example, I know that freeware simulators mostly don't need to bother with brand recognition, whereas lawyers are likely to go after commercial ones unless the rights were obtained, that kind of thing.

Quote from: Josedav
Of course on a smaller scale this has been going on for years in FSX as well as many other game types- inde's  such as FTX (truly outstanding company) getting on board adding their wares to enhance basic foundation code . A new approach would go much further involving unrelated game venues together in a completely interactive environment across the board-- bringing about a much deeper immersion experience for everyone.

In the above quote concerning  FTX using FSX foundation code successfully building it's own company, I should have mentioned John Venema's (Orbx CEO) "giving back to the community" policy by providing ample amounts of high quality freeware along with it's much acclaimed payware, thus fostering trust and respect of the entire user base in keeping a right balance. Referring to this excellent model base would, in my opinion, be most helpful as a legal area reference as well as others...

Starting a trial run to test and prove the interactive concept with several willing game companies participating on Outerra's base engine (who have everything to gain and nothing to lose) would be a good starting place to work thru details. In the beginning nothing more involved here than simple agreements initially between participating parties as "beta testers"-- until  the concept is proven to everyone's satisfaction and gradually refined as a viable market development. In the meanwhile posting internet progress in such an endeavor is sure to bring in a storm of excitement-- creating  (as you put it), a synergy throughout the entire gaming  industry, with clients more than willing to work thru any legal agreements involved, setting up shop in Outerra's earth mall...
Sooner this is pioneered and off the ground, the better for everyone's pocket book in the industry, along with the countless simmers awaiting such a development...

Alen Bajrovic

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 03:08:27 pm »

I suggest Flight Simulator :))

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 11:03:07 pm »

Well just think about a large scale future battleground.. Moon Bases.. Lasers.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 11:39:09 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Well just think about a large scale future battleground.. Moon Bases.. Lasers.
The stuff my dreams for this engine are made of. =D
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

dwell6277

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 06:23:39 am »

Hey everyone I am new to this site and am currently looking for an engine.  I am very interested in what Outerra shows in its ability to render space to ground in detail.  and by the vids making roads seams very easy as well.  I have not seen any water yet and that is important for my project to design a mech game that will allow colonization of multiple solar systems.  That is what I am looking to use this for.  A couple of questions thiough.  Is it possible to render celestial objects like moons.  Is there water, and how do I get the software.

thx
Dwell
Do or do not.  There is no try.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 10:49:37 am »

Hi, the engine is still in development and it's not generally available yet.

There's no water rendering at the moment, apart from simple plane with some reflection. It will be added at later stages.

Other celestial bodies will be supported, with seamless transition between them.
However, initially we will support only Earth, then later Moon and Mars and other planets for which there are data; artificial randomly generated planets will be only possible in a later version.

Btw the planet is huge and a game colonizing it will probably have to be huge as well. Seeing the scale, I'm wondering how such a game would work ..

WarlockSyno

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 02:19:50 pm »

Would the engine be able to support up to 1000 people online? With a world that huge, even 1000 people wouldn't be enough.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 02:40:45 pm »

Quote from: WarlockSyno
Would the engine be able to support up to 1000 people online? With a world that huge, even 1000 people wouldn't be enough.
I think so, but supporting 1000 or more people is a job for the server itself, not the graphics engine.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 12:03:32 am »

Quote from: RaikoRaufoss
Quote from: WarlockSyno
I think so, but supporting 1000 or more people is a job for the server itself, not the graphics engine.

Well if they were very far apart they wouldn't really need to be present on the same map just in contact with everyone else. Makes me think a server farm with 100 gigabit connections per box then connected via Fibre to the other 9 boxes could establish a decent 1000 man server.

I wonder if the torrent protocol could help with this?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2010, 07:07:29 am »

1000 players spread on the whole planet aren't a problem, but it will become one when they all decide to go to a particular place. To a race or to another event.

Bittorrent won't help here, but a specifically tailored P2P technique might. P2P generally makes the more sought content more available. That would mean that the participants of the fest will have to become kind of dynamic servers for others. With global management infrastructure that would help interconnecting groups of players that are near each other. But then it also becomes more prone to cheating, so it's a complex problem when it should be made robust.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2010, 02:08:20 pm »

Quote from: brano.kemen
then it also becomes more prone to cheating

Hrm. Cheating in outerra does not compute? Are you thinking about it in terms for a simple game mode or location hacks because your acting as a mini-server. Or would you rather not say because there is no point in giving bad ideas to anyone?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7