Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: What would YOU do with this engine?  (Read 72061 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
What would YOU do with this engine?
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 03:03:35 pm »

Um, I can't say I'm parsing what you are saying.

I wasn't referring specifically to Outerra, but to the networking architecture. If you were making say a racing game, and P2P was used to sync objects across the participating clients without an authoritative server that computes the physics and distributes the updates, you would need some additional mechanisms to detect cheating clients.

Timmo

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 06:15:18 pm »

Quote from: brano.kemen
Um, I can't say I'm parsing what you are saying.

I wasn't referring specifically to Outerra, but to the networking architecture. If you were making say a racing game, and P2P was used to sync objects across the participating clients without an authoritative server that computes the physics and distributes the updates, you would need some additional mechanisms to detect cheating clients.

In other words, no gamer can be trusted ;)

molnibalage

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 01:11:43 pm »

It is good for any military simulation if the physical engine can handle somehow ballistics and aerodynamics. Maybe this is the first enginge that makes possible to create with same engine a land and air based simulator.

Can I have some questions? I'm very curious.

- Is there any targetted goal for this enginge or it is just a techdemo?

- Is there any big financial support (publisher to release something) to achive the goal?

- How big is the development team? Is there a team?

- Currently the engine can handle somehow the previously mentioned issues?

- Do you need testers? :)

It is a big misery to me that this engine how could be hidden for the great publicity. How could happen that on youtube your videos have not reached the millions of visitors. This engine is far the best that I ever seen. Every other that I have seen in my life were only a bad joke compare with this.

Abc94

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 02:01:33 pm »

Quote from: molnibalage
It is a big misery to me that this engine how could be hidden for the great publicity. How could happen that on youtube your videos have not reached the millions of visitors. This engine is far the best that I ever seen. Every other that I have seen in my life were only a bad joke compare with this.

Yeah I always kind of wondered the same thing.  I thought that by word of mouth Outerra would become very well known in the gaming world.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 02:24:41 pm »

Quote from: Abc94
I thought that by word of mouth Outerra would become very well known in the gaming world.

As much as I want to rub the development of this engine into the faces of larger developers and their userbase on their respective forums as a sort of "Your all doing it wrong" campaign. I hesitate most of the time http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/192-rFactor3-Dream-Big-Dream-Outerra?p=1960

I worry for a few reasons.

A) if 2,000 people joined this forums all our "good" suggestions and questions would be buried so far under piles of dren that it would feel as if we had all been moved to the nose-bleeds section of the stadium amidst several thousand screaming idiots.

B) with more people comes more pressure. I have the patience of a stone in a glassier on the surface of Pluto. If this engine needs 2 more years to go into testing then let it. I don't wish to see it rushed just for the sake of peer pressure.

C) Worst case scenario is M$ or a similar company after seeing the following OT has started attracting decide to just buy OT of from under all of us and bin it immediately so that their is no chance for a competitor to have it and they don't need to divert from their current lesser engines with alot of hassle and time. Am I a pessimist? yes

Feel free to fill in D E and F yourselves.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 03:02:34 pm »

Is there any targetted goal for this enginge or it is just a techdemo?
Yes the engine is to be used in several game and non-game projects, but it's still in development so anything may change.

Is there any big financial support (publisher to release something) to achive the goal?
How big is the development team? Is there a team?
Not a big financial support, we are advancing in small steps (business-wise). The team is thus small at the moment.

Currently the engine can handle somehow the previously mentioned issues?
Um, which ones do you have in mind?

Do you need testers? :)
The demo will be basically our testing phase, in this regard the community of this size suits us well :)

Well, you know, the engine so far mainly shows the potential. Most of you can get over the fact that the trees are simple at the moment, that there are just a few terrain materials etc etc, because you can extrapolate and imagine what could become of it. But for most developers and gamers the complete feature set is essential, so they would view it now just as a technology demo, not really considering it until there's something more.

That said, we have been contacted by several developers that too can imagine what may become of this, and we are talking about their requirements and evaluating stuff. The future is bright. Unless we perish on the way, of course :)

molnibalage

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 04:04:29 pm »

Um, which ones do you have in mind?

Is it capable to handle aerodynamic forces or ballistic modelling for bullets, artillery shells or unguided rockects? What about radar (this is one of the hardest), RWR, ground clutter, IR signiture AI eyball, ect. modeling for a hardcore sim? If currently it does not do you have ideas or plans to ensure this?

Most of you can get over the fact that the trees are simple at the moment, that there are just a few terrain materials etc etc, because you can extrapolate and imagine what could become of it.

The trees are enough good to my eyes. :)
The very well detailed terrain - especially if it has self shadows - is that in unquie. I have never seen so beautiful terrain except FPS, but an FPS game does not require so big maps as Earh or just continents for flight sims.

Yes, I can see the big potential your work. It is not big. It is HUGE!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2010, 04:56:51 pm »

Is it capable to handle aerodynamic forces or ballistic modelling for bullets, artillery shells or unguided rockects? What about radar (this is one of the hardest), RWR, ground clutter, IR signiture AI eyball, ect. modeling for a hardcore sim? If currently it does not do you have ideas or plans to ensure this?
Well, currently we are focusing on the terrain rendering and connected things, which are important for the engine's usability in various target apps, but we are also integrating other functionality along the way - mostly for demonstrative purposes at the moment.

At the time we do not have resources to implement all the functionality that a hardcore simulator will require, so we are including stuff that helps to show what is possible. At the same time it must not be overly taxing our resources, as we have to implement core rendering features first. Specific functionality will be developed on demand for our customers, but we are selecting our customers so that their demands are not unrealistic :)

Many of the features you mention can be also developed in coordination with them - we would be providing the low level functionality that will make it easier, while they would be implementing the high level part. As an example, damage modeling would consist of collision feedback functions that we can provide more effectively, but the actual damage response will be handled in the game code.

BTW we did test some ballistic modeling already, and AFAIK JSBSim includes flight dynamics models for rockets as well.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 07:25:49 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
A) if 2,000 people joined this forums all our "good" suggestions and questions would be buried so far under piles of dren that it would feel as if we had all been moved to the nose-bleeds section of the stadium amidst several thousand screaming idiots.
As a counterpoint, I want to say that I've seen too many forums wrecked by unfriendliness and unwritten rules, which IMO can occur when sentiments like this occur.  We can't protect our own ideas at the expense of other people's ideas.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, 09:11:14 pm »

Quote from: RaikoRaufoss
As a counterpoint, I want to say that I've seen too many forums wrecked by unfriendliness and unwritten rules, which IMO can occur when sentiments like this occur.  We can't protect our own ideas at the expense of other people's ideas.

Its not that I don't want to see new people. I just want those new people to come slowly to see how it is done. If 10 new people joined a discussion with the same damaging mindset then that threads topic would become moot.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2010, 11:48:42 pm »

If 10 new people joined a discussion with the same damaging mindset then that threads topic would become moot.
I just don't see that happening, unless this place gets raided.  Which it won't; it's too technical for most trolls to try.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

molnibalage

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010, 06:57:44 am »

Many of the features you mention can be also developed in coordination with them - we would be providing the low level functionality that will make it easier, while they would be implementing the high level part. As an example, damage modeling would consist of collision feedback functions that we can provide more effectively, but the actual damage response will be handled in the game code.

Does this mean that the modeling is seprated to different modeling levels or paralell modeling modules can be used later that can be linked?

I just chack the Himalayes trip video. It is so wonderful that I almost cried. :)
The choosen music were quite good.

Can I make a recommendtaion fro future previews?

http://www.greensunmusic.com/

You can find many wonderful music for preview videos. (My favorite is the First Birth form  Dream Elements album.) Some music from Green Sun in only available at this site as a stream mp3, but you can save them if you record the line out signal of sound card.

Other good materials can be found here.
http://www.amethystium.com/

This is my favorite from this band.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2010, 08:06:43 am »

Can I make a recommendtaion fro future previews?

http://www.greensunmusic.com/
Um, can't find a licensing info there. Anyway, we often need separate loops so we can adjust the song length and fit it to the videos better. We are currently using the tracks from ibaudio.com that are suited precisely for that kind of handling.

Toptag

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2010, 11:47:11 am »

I would turn it into Half life 2 only it never ends! You just get better and better weapons, and there is no storyline to follow, just you trying to make your own way in the world.

Abc94

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2010, 01:58:14 pm »

The music you used in the Earth Fly-by video is by far my favorite from all the Outerra videos.
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7