Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Importer and vehicle physics video  (Read 48205 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Importer and vehicle physics video
« on: November 12, 2012, 09:29:15 am »

A 15min video showing the importing process together with some basic vehicle physics editing.

I've added subtitles there in case someone has problems understanding my monotonous Englishshshsh ;)

Package with the imported BMW M3 model can be downloaded here (unpack into your Outerra data folder). Original model by Amit Chippa.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Importer and vehicle physics video
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 10:22:24 am »

Joygasm
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

murkz

• The Antisocial Gamer
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 12:25:25 pm »

Please may we have a download for the 1080p video, as going to youtube every time is a chore.

Also where did you get the script from @ 40seconds in the YT. Also what is the hierarchy for a vehicle (tank)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:43:42 pm »

The original video I produced has 700MB, I would have to downsize it. But perhaps you could download it via a youtube downloader? I've previously used YTD downloader.

Script at 40s? Do you mean the hierarchy that shows up? That only reads the hierarchy that's in the model. The hierarchy is on you, OT doesn't enforce a particular one, but you need to mark the nodes that you want to be able to animate later from the script.

murkz

• The Antisocial Gamer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 12:51:51 pm »

Thank you for the reply cameni:

I have this

You can see the script box is empty, yours was not. Where did you get yours from?

Regards

Jeff

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 12:59:43 pm »

That is just the name of the script file, you can put anything in there. The video has been made with the latest (internal) version, and that one generates a script file name there (you can change it), and later when you insert the vehicle and the script file you provided here doesn't exist, it creates one (if you are the package owner). We will release this version soon, but you can still use the latest public version - just put a script name in the box here, and then create the file in the package directory, copying there the example script from T817, modifying appropriately.

murkz

• The Antisocial Gamer
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:06:13 pm »

Hi,

I think my issue is the rigging of the model. Is it possible to post a diagram or a model that is rigged with wheels and camera position.

At the moment I can not get into the my model or change view with C. My ALT E brings up a blank window that I can not close. I have to press ESC twice, where my model falls to the ground and sort of flips about.

giucam

• It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 04:07:35 pm »

Wonderful! Just wonderful!
I'm going to try the BMW as soon as I can. Now the only thing missing is OSM import ;)
And also other cars, since i can't model :P
ResidualVM 0.1.1 is OUT! www.residualvm.org

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 04:31:12 pm »

At the moment I can not get into the my model or change view with C. My ALT E brings up a blank window that I can not close. I have to press ESC twice, where my model falls to the ground and sort of flips about.
I could spawn your model, esc twice to close menu then enter, then switch camera with C
But Alt+E produces an error when I do a clean install+patch, there seems to be something missing in the patch ...

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 04:48:24 pm »

Please update (3391), the editor code was missing in the installer.

angrypig

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 05:31:39 pm »

Hi,

I think my issue is the rigging of the model. Is it possible to post a diagram or a model that is rigged with wheels and camera position.

Currently we do not support standard rigged models with bones, you have to separate wheels and other moving parts into independent meshes and put them under group or parent dummy object.

car (dummy parent)
 |- chassis
 |- wheel0
 |- wheel1

OR

Chassis
 |- wheel0
 |- wheel1

jeffmorris

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 08:53:49 pm »

How should I create a vehicle in 3DS MAX for use in Outerra? Do I need dummy helpers?

giucam

• It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 09:37:29 am »

I have two questions:
Is it possible to make the suspensions less sensitive?
Is it possible to change the speed at which the steering wheels return back to the straight position?
ResidualVM 0.1.1 is OUT! www.residualvm.org

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 09:53:19 am »

Steering/centering speed can be set in init_chassis when you return chassis parameters, see init_chassis and the return structure vehicle_params. It's used in the code for BMW too.

Suspension sensitivity - when you add wheels, you pass in a structure with wheel parameters, you can modify suspension_stiffness and damping parameters there.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 11:38:08 am »

The suspension stiffness is odd because the wheels currently have no "give" as a real wheel would deform and absorb a lot of the little bumps and here they are concrete. When a tire model is implemented the suspensions can do less work.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5