Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Importer and vehicle physics video  (Read 48206 times)

giucam

• It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
Re: Importer and vehicle physics video
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 03:41:35 pm »

Nice work Giucam!
I still can't get the sound right though. I found a sample which is quite good (i don't know if it's a BMW but i'm not so picky) but at high RPM it doesn't sound right. I'm starting to think we need a way to change the speed of the sound in addition of the pitch.
And then, I need another graphics card  >:(. With this 4850 it's a miracle if i can get to the end of the himalaya runway. Today i tried a Geforce  8400GS i have. No crashes, but slow like hell  :'(.

Anyway, version 0.2.1, with speed limiter: diff and full script.
I'm no car expert but i think anyway that normally this limiter shouldn't be needed, but it should emerge from the engine configuration. (At least for the BMW it does so).

Cameni, when can we have key bindings? I'd like to make manual shifting now ;)
ResidualVM 0.1.1 is OUT! www.residualvm.org

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 05:42:37 pm »

CG will be customizable, there is some problem with it and right now it's supposed to sit at the center of the bounding box of the car. It's a bit awkward to move in Bullet (creating artificial shapes to offset it), and for some reason it doesn't work anyway. But I haven't given it too much thoughts yet, to be honest :)

Custom commands will be possible once we create some interface for input actions, that will work the same way for aircraft and vehicle both, allowing also to use any controls you may want to bind.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 01:51:48 am by cameni »

ddenn

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 01:33:26 am »

I still can't get the sound right though. I found a sample which is quite good (i don't know if it's a BMW but i'm not so picky) but at high RPM it doesn't sound right.

In FSX flightsim authors use a few sounds samples for the engine, one for idle RPM, one (or even two) for mid RPM and one for hight RPM, that way the engine sounds realistic.

Cameni, is there way to change tires friction, and make it dependable of the ground type? Now BMW behaves on the grass same as it does on tarmac.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:01:04 am by ddenn »
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 02:56:19 am »

When surfaces get friction values they are going to require a base friction and then a range of randomization/error with either more or less friction so that grass and dirt can have big variations in grip across their surface but asphalt would be more constant.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 04:26:50 am »

Cameni, is there way to change tires friction, and make it dependable of the ground type? Now BMW behaves on the grass same as it does on tarmac.
Not yet. The terrain type is being already read back together with the collision data, but it's not being used yet. The material system will change with the biomes so I wasn't hurrying to plug the existing one in. Though, it could be relatively simple ...

Racer

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 12:28:48 am »

Any chance I could get a collada file of a vehicle that is set up with multiple LODs and a Collision mesh? I am having a few problems, and would just like to have a model that I know works to compare to.

jeffmorris

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2012, 07:37:27 am »

I would like a step-by-step tutorial on creating a vehicle in 3DS MAX and importing the vehicle into Outerra. I looked at the 3DS mesh of the 8X8 truck that came with Outerra but I don't know how the axles and wheels are set up in 3DS MAX.

jeffmorris

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 09:08:53 pm »

I created a box on wheels. When I try to import the vehicle into Outerra, Outerra quits to the desktop with "Error Report" dialog box open. Any suggestions?

giucam

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 11:13:34 am »

I found some good sound of a M3 but for some reason in Outerra it doesn't sound good. I added OpenAL to the test app i'm using to develop the engine model and, while it isn't perfect, it sounds quite good with that. But with Outerra the pitch seems to oscillate back and forth instead of changing in a monotonous way.
But logging out the pitch values I set shows they are indeed monotonous so the problem must be somewhere deeper.

Btw Cameni, what's the structure returned by vehicle.wheel()?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2012, 12:05:36 pm »

Is the sound mono?

I've added the structure to the wiki http://xtrac.outerra.com/index.fcgi/wiki/wheel_data

adagio

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2012, 12:37:50 pm »

Concerning vehicle physics, more specifically cars are there any plans to implement mouse steering? If done correctly it's so much more enjoyable and precise than using keyboard arrows.
"Anyone who tells a lie has not a pure heart, and cannot make a good soup." Ludwig van Beethoven

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2012, 01:12:14 pm »

Currently the inputs from keyboard or joysticks come normalized in -1..1 range. If the correct mouse steering can be somehow implemented as something that takes mouse events and produces steering - then it should be possible easily.

giucam

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2012, 01:20:06 pm »

giucam

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2012, 03:07:49 pm »

I tried a stereo sound and that worked right indeed. Odd thing...

Anyway, i realized i made a stupid ugly error in the script which makes the engine behave unrealistically. A fix should be coming soon.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2012, 03:20:57 pm »

The vehicle sounds should be mono. I too played with stereo vs mono sound replacements for the 8x8.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5