Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: your next Development steps ?  (Read 8622 times)

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
your next Development steps ?
« on: November 13, 2012, 05:49:01 am »

Hello OT Team,
We see that you have upgraded your engine with the "importer" which was the most wanted functionality on the poll months ago.
we assume that you are having some debug and/or improvements on it now,
but please could give us a clue about what will you release next ? biomes ? vegetation ? soil rendering ? what are your priorities after the importer ?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: your next Development steps ?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 04:18:44 am »

We are working on a couple of things right now, but the priorities are changing dynamically because of our external commitments. In the works are the biomes and vector land data, rivers&lakes, character animation, physics and more.

Soil rendering?

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 05:44:31 am »

Thank you Brano, good to know that you have commitments with external prospects  :D
so many interesting things coming !!!
( by soil rendering, I was meaning minerals ... sands, rocks, and so on : so it is in the "biome developments" surely )

Denis
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:57:48 am by foxfiles »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:35:33 am »

I think Biomes are a good next step. We have looked upon Grassy pines for too long.

PS 3D trees eventually. All the forum posts I see where OT pops up everyone dismisses it because the trees look crap.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

giucam

• It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 09:01:15 am »

May i ask if bridges and tunnels are coming in some time? I cannot build my town without them! ;)
ResidualVM 0.1.1 is OUT! www.residualvm.org

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:38:08 am »

Can't imagine I'd say no here :)

There will be a track geometry module, instantiating custom geometry along a path. This will be used for railroad tracks, road markers and poles, bridge and tunnel segments etc. Bridges and tunnels will require also some additional gluing code that will prepare the terrain to match the generated geometry.

giucam

• It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 09:53:51 am »

I meant a little time actually ;)
from your post i assume you've not started working on them, right?
ResidualVM 0.1.1 is OUT! www.residualvm.org

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 10:48:34 am »

No, not yet.

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 02:39:04 pm »

Brano, I'm still watching with interest, and hope that key data references will soon be available to outside applications.  That's really all that's keeping me from diving right in with my own aircraft.  Sooooo  is the SDK still upcoming....and about when -ish?  Thanks for keeping the dream alive!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 03:26:58 pm »

SDK forms as a set of scripting interfaces that are published successively.
For aircraft there's a scripting interface (documented here), that's the entry point for scripting the aircraft behavior. I know "data references" are X-plane terminology; since we are using JSBSim, you can access all JSBSim variables via the jsb object from the script.

Some of the JSB variables are common and described in their reference manual, but many of them are specific for your aircraft, as defined in your JSBSim model file. So getting a universal list of data references is not that simple, though I guess some common naming convention is being used.

So basically, once you know the subtleties of how to model aircraft in JSBSim, you can control and animate it in the OT aircraft script easily.
But I really don't know enough about it yet, we are only using a minimum set and just what we need from it, it will require more documentation and tutorial effort if it has to be used for simulator.

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 03:06:04 pm »

Thanks....that should be a help.  Note, though....http://www.jsbsim.org/JSBSimReferenceManual.pdf    Object Not Found when referenced from your link.

Edit...in fact, the whole site you linked to is a ghost town.  They've moved....   http://jsbsim.sourceforge.net/index.html
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:09:42 pm by WarpeD »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 03:11:30 pm »

Seems to be a problem at jsbsim site. Clicking Documentation at http://www.jsbsim.org/ points to the same file, giving 404

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 03:18:12 pm »

I found everything needed over at SourceForge. 

If I understand a little bit better, Outerra implements JSBSim.  And in that regard, while Outerra/Anteworld is running, it is possible to communicate directly with JSBSim.  And that's where I would extract various parametric data and possibly even input unique aircraft controls.  Does this sound right?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 03:35:24 pm »

More or less so. Outerra uses JSBSim (wrapped in a dll) to control aircraft physics. In the aircraft script you can access (read and write) any JSBSim properties you want.

In the script you basically read inputs and set the appropriate values to JSBSim, and then read the simulator parameters from JSBSim and use it to animate the model parts as you need.
Currently the inputs are not yet handled in the script, we need to implement a generalized input interface for it that will allow you to get any inputs (and define custom ones) and set the corresponding FDM properties. But you can already fully control the model rendering/animation.

Please see the C172.aircraft.js file in packages/outerra/c172 folder for an example.

seppen

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 05:32:16 pm »

Since the Pig did such a good job on the importer, I feel I must scream for collision so can test Cities with infrastructure, and temp roads from Infrastucture modeler (great tool).