Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: What graphics card?  (Read 3459 times)

giucam

• It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
What graphics card?
« on: November 19, 2012, 06:54:36 am »

Hi all,
I cannot stand anymore the crashes of my HD 4850 and I'm considering the possibility of buying another card.
Should I ever consider ATI? I mean, can we expect the drivers to reach a point (in less than a century) where they don't explode every new Outerra release? If so, what series?

Otherwise, would a thing like a GeForce GTS 450 work fine with Outerra? It seems to have a great performances/price ratio, and I don't care for ultra high settings. I just want a good frame rate.
ResidualVM 0.1.1 is OUT! www.residualvm.org

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: What graphics card?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 08:32:51 am »

Despite of the problems with ATI we have really good relations with their OpenGL dev team, whereas we are largely ignored by Nvidia. Fortunately there wasn't a serious bug on NV yet, one that we would not be able to work around, but if that happens one day it will be a problem.

In any case it's always best to go after the most recent series if you want to have a prolonged support, which is quite important with OT since we are using all new hw capabilities we can find (unfortunately most of the issues are stemming from that too).

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:16:11 am »

As clear as mud but appreciated. My 4890 runs everything "OK" except OT. There was a patch not to long ago that had a great improvement on crashes but I knew it wouldn't last.

Not being able to see the helicopter is terrible. I can spawn it and run away but as soon as I see more than the cockpit in view. BAM cease done.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:32:25 am »

Unfortunately there's nothing effective we can do about the crashes on the 4000 series, it's not supported anymore by AMD and the occasional improvements in crashing are just some odd unexplained constellations happening in that particular build for some obscure reason, we might just as well do a voodoo dance around it.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:00:21 pm »

I already sacrificed three chickens and a goat to no avail...

At least they were tasty.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo