Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Himalayas trip - unused footage  (Read 18833 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Himalayas trip - unused footage
« on: September 20, 2010, 06:02:22 pm »

Here is a short video comprised of some unused pieces of footage made for the Himalayas trip video.

Shows mainly the failed attempts to land at Lukla and some other sequences. The problem with Lukla runway is that the engine of that particular Cessna has vastly reduced power at that altitude, and cannot propel itself up the slope. One has to touch down at a higher point, using the momentum to overcome it. Which of course usually didn't work as imagined :)

The second half contains many attempts at getting the flyover right; we managed to meet at designated point on like 10th try.

The video ends with one preserved recording of how we always rushed back to the starting positions to make another attempt :)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:43:41 am by cameni »

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 06:09:18 pm »

I loved it!  So you're modeling the Cessna's performance at altitude now.  That's good; not only is it realistic, but it will leave the skies at the edge of space clear for the vehicle I'd like to see.  And it's nice to see the forum getting back on track.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:22:14 pm »

You should have used the theme song from the old Benny Hill Show :D
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 02:25:19 am »

Yes the music could have been better; we have an account at ibaudio.com, a site with production music, but it was getting late and I just took the first one that was fitting a bit :)

corona

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 06:26:31 am »

Hehe, I liked the last bit in the Tatra at insane speeds.....I thought for sure you would crash into that tree (I know you can't actually crash into it yet) and then I thought OK, made it, and out of nowhere another Tatra rushed by at high speed :-)

Thnx for this

Abc94

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 02:18:08 pm »

I thought the last two seconds were the best.  Almost had a collision and as well as a good physics moment (even if the Tatra's would have just bounced off each other)!  :)

BTW what did you do to get the cessna's tail stuck in the ground at 0:17?  :/
"It costs over $400 000 to play for 12 seconds."     Heavy Weapons Guy on Outerra demo.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 03:19:40 pm »

Quote from: Abc94
BTW what did you do to get the cessna's tail stuck in the ground at 0:17?  :/
I don't remember exactly, but it's not a problem to get something stuck in the ground. JSBSim stops the simulation if the collision response goes off the limits, slamming to ground at a higher speed does it.

Ron Waite

• http://www.enigmasim.com
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 10:40:48 am »

Hello,

A friend pointed Outerra out to me about a week ago and I've been following the forums and blog since then. I'm a user and developer for Microsoft Flight Simulator, but I have to say, I'm looking more forward to Outerra and it's applications and development possibilities than I am to Microsoft Flight! :) Keep up the amazing work! ;)

Airhogg

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 10:59:12 am »

Now I know what it feels like to be the dog waiting for the bone to be tossed!

Edding3000

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 02:28:30 pm »

After this video: what are you working on now?

Reflections i guess (mirrors werent there :P), maybe networking a little more?
Tell me...

My project is a little lagging behind sadly :(.. Very busy with school... And i was hoping to be rendering some nice planets in my engine in december :(... Well that's of for sure :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 02:41:33 am »

Currently we are reworking and updating various key parts of the engine; Angrypig updated an asynchronous job scheduler so it's now much easier to handle asynchronous tasks like loading the resources etc. He's also integrating a new version of JSBSim.
I'm still working on the atmosphere - that must be the hardest thing there to get right btw - that should speed up the rendering and bring a better quality both.

And then debugging the ATI issues will be hell, still behaves absolutely weird and there are no errors reported. I'll have to isolate pieces of code and find the infringing bits, find a workaround and report to ATI .. a clear loss of time for us :(

Edding3000

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 06:24:01 am »

Quote from: cameni
Currently we are reworking and updating various key parts of the engine; Angrypig updated an asynchronous job scheduler so it's now much easier to handle asynchronous tasks like loading the resources etc. He's also integrating a new version of JSBSim.
I'm still working on the atmosphere - that must be the hardest thing there to get right btw - that should speed up the rendering and bring a better quality both.

And then debugging the ATI issues will be hell, still behaves absolutely weird and there are no errors reported. I'll have to isolate pieces of code and find the infringing bits, find a workaround and report to ATI .. a clear loss of time for us :(
Can you explain a little what the weird ati issues are? rendering issues like vertices that arent rendered correct? weird colourisation?

And btw: are you also supporting multiple shaders for different gpu's? like low medium high very high settings? I cant really fix my head around how to implement that clean myself :P. It requires multiple shaders (or branching) but also some things on cpu like tex quality, shader parameters just to mention two.

PS. are you implementing a specific atmospheric scattering algo or developing your own?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 06:50:26 am »

Most of the ATI problems seem to lie in improper connection between shader stages (vertex-fragment or vertex-geometry-fragment). The issues then manifest wildly - depends on what the variables are used for, colors, misplaced geometry, anything and all. Several of these bugs were reported and fixed already, but there are still some left, and in complex environment like ours they are hard to isolate.

We aren't yet using multiple shaders to differentiate between quality settings, but I guess it will be a mix of conditionals and separate shaders and such.

I'm developing my own atmospheric scattering, loosely based on Eric Bruneton's equations but done differently, simplifying some things to get a better performance.