Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Where i can get finished models ?  (Read 8212 times)

saccara18

Where i can get finished models ?
« on: November 24, 2012, 05:57:44 pm »

hi,

i searching for finished models and vehicules ...

thank you

Toma

Re: Where i can get finished models ?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:46:18 am »

Why has no one answered this yet? Is there a reason why no thread has easily downloadable 3D files to add to Outerra? I tried to use some of the freely available ones from Google models, but I could figure out how to make them into an Outerra readable format. Same with cars etc, I'd love to play around with some models, but its really hard to find some working ones or to make existing ones work.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:00:57 pm »

User submitted models can be found scattered in the user gallery thread here: http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?board=17.0
Why it has not been made easier .. probably because there are only very few models yet, lots of people are only experimenting and publishing only screens so far. We can easily create a pinned thread in the user gallery forum with downloadable models, and ask people to post their models there.

To make things simpler, we should probably create an easy way to export models in a way that produces a self-extracting installer, that can be then distributed and simply run to install.

Toma

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 12:10:50 pm »

I saw quite a few different cars in Youtube videos for example, or the buildings people use here. A pinned thread that collects the 3D models to use in Outerra would be really, really useful for now. I'd love to play around a bit with other car and building models in screenshots, but I am currently no good at modelling (or apparently making the 3D models compatible with Outerra).

Not to mention that nice screenshots with more than just plain nature would probably be even more effective in terms of grabbing other peoples attention.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:13:27 pm by Toma »

deathevor

• User
    • Sk-Films
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 12:13:40 pm »

Would be nice to have a separate thread:

3D Models:

Aircraft
      Vehicles
      Buildings
      Plants
      etc....

VFx Artist/Supervisor, Private Pilot - www.sk-films.com

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 12:15:46 pm »

Many people didn't made their models available, especially the higher quality ones because they were mainly testing the import of their otherwise commercially sold models. But yes, we can go through the published ones and add them into some pinned thematic threads.

Toma

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 12:24:08 pm »

Would it be fine/legal to download a freely available 3D model (Google models) and reupload it in Outerra compatible format if its being labeled with the original link? The google models page has many awesome models, but I couldnt wuite figure out how to make them compatible. Would be great if some of those could be "reuploaded" for Outerra compatibility by someone.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:29:29 pm by Toma »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 01:04:10 pm »

Depends on the exact license terms. Many models that can be normally bought on 3D asset sites can be distributed further only in a format that cannot be converted back to the original model in a way that would allow creating derivative works. In that regard distributing the Outerra packages created from these models is fine.

For Google 3D Warehouse models - the original submitters gave the license to use/distribute/whatever just to Google, it doesn't mean that any other entity gets it as well. Regarding the users of Google services there's a clause that allows them to modify and distribute the uploaded models, but only for the use with the Google service.

So, unless the model has an explicit license allowing the use elsewhere, it's not generally allowed without a permission. Certainly not for a commercial entity like us, although modders may be able to exploit the "fair use" under certain conditions.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 01:33:50 pm »

I think this calls for an entirely separate website for model hosting for outerra. That time is coming, and that right soon.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Toma

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 04:09:03 pm »

That would be really sweet. Its hurting the reception a bit if people try this shiny toy and then cant tinker around with more stuff that is actually already integrated technically.
Hope it doesnt take too long :)

Toma

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 11:30:19 am »

Just raising my hand that I am still interested in that website ;) If you put it up, please post here as well so I get information about it (Subbed the thread).

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 11:38:42 am »