Outerra Engine > Technology

JSBSim Interface & Interaction

(1/13) > >>

Steve.Wilson:
Brano, Angrypig...

I've been spelunking around inside the JSBSim Reference Guide, attempting to correlate the interface that my cockpit currently uses to interact with X-Plane to what it would need to interface and interact with JSBSim.

My understanding at this point is that I would need to connect to JSBSim via a socket, and that the socket would be configured in XML scripts for the aircraft that I'm flying in Anteworld. 

Would it be fair to deduce at this point that Anteworld fully integrates JSBSim, and that the methods one would use to communicate with JSBSim/Anteworld are those found in the JSBSim Reference Guide?  I find that the mental gymnastics might be easier if I consider Anteworld to be the same as JSBSim operating in server mode.

Naturally, any light you can shed on this will be useful.  The learning curve to get to where I am with X-Plane was rather steep, and I can tell that the curve to get to the same place in Anteworld is going to be a good deal steeper.

cameni:
Angrypig will have to clarify it, as it's his part, but we are using JSBSim as a library. Normally JSBSim can be compiled as an executable or a static library. In order to satisfy the license we are wrapping the static library in a thin dll wrapper, so one can make his own JSBSim derivative and link it with OT.

However, I'm not sure if in this mode it can operate in server mode.

Steve.Wilson:
Thanks, Brano.  I'm just trying to drill down to the architecture of how I'm going to establish that link, whether with my own compilation of JSBSim or with a new interface that talks to Anteworld as it runs.  The link's the thing.  I have a hunch that if you've incorporated the full JSBSim code base, even as a DLL, then the data sharing functionality is likely intact. 

It just seems to me that there will be a lot of flight simulation enthusiasts that will appreciate the Anteworld/Outerra environment when it's complete.   A lot of natural phenomenon to explore and enjoy.  Other flight sim worlds seem so "dead" by comparison.  And there's a subset of FS enthusiasts that build up full cockpit systems to sit in and really "suspend disbelief."  I look forward to enjoying this world very much.

ZeosPantera:

--- Quote from: Steve.Wilson on December 24, 2012, 12:41:01 pm ---It just seems to me that there will be a lot of flight simulation enthusiasts that will appreciate the Anteworld/Outerra environment when it's complete.   A lot of natural phenomenon to explore and enjoy.
--- End quote ---

The most interesting part is going to be when you fly boys land and can actually get out of your aircraft to admire it all. It will be very forth wall breaking for you guys I am sure.

Steve.Wilson:
Indeed.  I can envision a virtual campfire, virtual hotdogs, virtual marshmallows and sleeping out under the virtual stars!  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version