User mods, screenshots & videos > Textures

Custom textures version 2.0

(1/7) > >>

KelvinNZ:
Hi all,

Just want to say that I have spent some hours trying to perfect the textures inside Outerra.

Feel free to pass comments.

I have reworked the following:
Rocks/mountains
Grass/Grass patches incl rock grass patches
Trees (only one kind so just recoloured slightly)
Sand
Snow

New
Replaced asphalt road texture
Replaced gravel texture
Added/tweaked foam texture
Removed (99%) tiling effect from grass (problem with my last attempt)

Hopefully this will make your "alpha" experience a little more "real".
Download here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uuhtpen7mnuv84v/Custom_textures_v2.zip

ZeosPantera:
Wow. Looks nice from afar. Can't test to see how it looks up close (damn 4890).

Posted it here as well http://www.reddit.com/r/Outerra/comments/16yp22/kelvinr_has_made_some_custom_ground_textures_with/

KelvinNZ:
Initially I had a hard time deciding how to attack the textures because as you know there are 4 seasons and I was having a little bit of a hard time deciding what look I was going to go as there are very few texture ranges. So i decided on a autumn/spring look because that's my favourite time of year, so the grass tries to depict this in it's tone.

The mountain colour was causing me a headache trying to decide what colour I was going to make them given that in real life there are many types of rocky mountain colours so I went with a darker grey with a new texture to try to make it generic but fitting to the area. I guess that's what you get with only a few textures.

The most difficult thing is actually avoiding the tiling effect on textures, this can look awful as i have experienced. But. if done right it can also look very nice indeed.

I have seen how the fractal procedure has worked with the textures with some of the patchy grass areas, a very ingenious way to implement such a visual challenge to textures.

Depending on how far the Biome is away I could re-texture again if Brano or Angry pig want to magic an extra vegetation area  ;)

knorko:
Nice one! i always felt that the mountains felt a little too pale in bright day light. this one really does the trick

cameni:
I need to get a world "rock map" somewhere, to get a variation in rock types. Rock color usually isn't visible from above and the commonly available datasets do not contain it. There should be a geological map or something like that, but probably won't be available globally in a usable resolution.

Before the biomes there probably will be another slight change in the textures, adding normal maps for them for better detail near the ground.
Apart from the textures and terrain mixer there are also other currently hidden parameters that modulate the overall color of the material - for example see how the grass is being colorized when you are farther from it.

IMHO, those rocks have an odd greenish tint.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version