Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Earth not Loading  (Read 6518 times)

IeuanG

Earth not Loading
« on: February 03, 2013, 02:44:35 pm »

After having bought the full pre-alpha version and loading it up, it downloaded the updates and patches and loaded into the engine itself. Although I was within the Earth's atmosphere (Blue sky, sun's rays etc.) all I could see was a white 'fog' beneath me, moving did not solve the problem nor did travelling to a different location. Any idea what's wrong?  :(

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Earth not Loading
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 02:54:32 pm »

Might be an issue with graphics drivers, recent versions don't work with ATI 4000 and lower and show just a white fog. What's your graphics card & graphics driver version?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 02:56:33 pm »

Do you have an ATi 4000 series card? If you do you are like me and a few others.. trapped in a white hell. There will be no more support for our cards from ATi and Outerra now uses a new pipeline that would need driver support from our cards. So no bones unless we all upgrade to the 5000 series or higher.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 03:09:32 pm »

Just found this: AMD Catalyst 12.10 WHQL Modded_ Legacy GPU(s). Might be worth a try ...

giucam

• It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 03:26:27 pm »

I tried that still with the 0.7.12 branch. It didn't improve the crashes in any way, but it may fix the fog now. I doubt it, however.
ResidualVM 0.1.1 is OUT! www.residualvm.org

IeuanG

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 02:21:18 pm »

Might be an issue with graphics drivers, recent versions don't work with ATI 4000 and lower and show just a white fog. What's your graphics card & graphics driver version?

My Graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series... Is that counted within the 4000 Series Range?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 02:47:04 pm »

Yes, any 4xxx card. AMD stopped supporting it while there were still lots of bugs in their OpenGL drivers, and as we are adding more stuff it's become unusable and there's nothing we can do about it :(

IeuanG

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 02:49:36 pm »

Yes, any 4xxx card. AMD stopped supporting it while there were still lots of bugs in their OpenGL drivers, and as we are adding more stuff it's become unusable and there's nothing we can do about it :(
Well, that's okay then. Thanks for helping me out! :) One more thing though, can you recommend any good graphics cards to buy?  ;D

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 03:02:17 pm »

Another unlucky 4850 owner (Abc94) was recently looking for upgrade, he posted this comparison: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
Nvidia 480 seems to be the best value (perf/price) there, but you can find good cards for all price categories there. If the numbers are close, take the newer series, it can be expected those will be better supported.