News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Music?  (Read 8190 times)

GHAO

• Thinking
Music?
« on: February 14, 2013, 04:38:58 pm »

Hey all,
First to say: fantastic job on this so far :)
Secondly: has any thought been put as to what kind of music there would be, if there's going to be any?
Thirdly, if there hasn't, it's probably possible to find enough musicians here on the forums - I for one am a composer and cellist (very good at both), and if, say, a saxophonist and a pianist appeared (or frankly any combination), I'd say it would be possible to collaborate, and generate at least a couple of hours of music, improvised. The more the merrier, and the more people, the more hours of music there would be.

You'll have to pardon me here for the next bit, this might be both plugging myself, and waffling ;)
For me, Civilization V is a game that is so enhanced by the music. It has such variety, some properly classical (ie they died centuries ago), and some written especially for the game. I think it's worth a thought - a game with a good soundtrack is a game that will get noticed, and when that game is so graphically rich as Anteworld/Outerra, then the critics are going to want to marry the developers :P
Anyway, I also said I was a composer. If you want proof I'm of a decent enough standard, I'd be happy to oblige and plug myself a bit more. Anyway, a composer really needs to get him/herself noticed, and a well-made videogame is perfect for that. Some people make millions in the careers that follow. Honestly speaking, it's going to be several years before Outerra is completed, and it would take years to get the music in order and performed etc, but if anyone's interested I could talk to other composers I know who are of similar ages (who are just as good), and maybe I could get a portfolio sorted. Recordings of a good-enough quality would have to be found/made, but nothing's impossible when something big like this is waiting.
If the thought of royalties scares anyone off, I think most of us would be plenty happy enough with our names in the credits somewhere in the middle. Kudos, if anything, is worth it's imaginary weight in gold. This music would be of varied styles, but either a small ensemble, or a full orchestra, that's for sure.

Thanks for considering :) (feedback most welcome).

ChookWantan

• They call me Chook.
Re: Music?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 06:11:04 pm »

Classically trained singer here... But I'm not sure that does you much good haha
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 01:02:20 am »

Haven't been thinking about it yet much, to say the truth. But a couple of musicians already showed up and had various suggestions (one also produced the music for the grass video ). There was also a guy with some orchestral music who wanted to create music for some of our existing videos, which I think would be a good way to present oneself.

Yes, the music is very important part of the game. I guess we were waiting to link it with the actual gameplay, using some production music here and there. I have some ideas for some scenes, but it needs far more.

However, suggestions are welcome!

GHAO

• Thinking
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 04:33:09 am »

Well, there's different types of music in computer games - ambient sounds (although the animal sounds are probably adequate), action sounds (in Civilization III there were exciting drum rhythms, makes me think of an explorer running through a forest), and as the nation progresses, in Outerra or otherwise, more and more classical music comes through. In SimCity3000, another game made great by its soundtracks, there's a good amount of jazz, and some downbeat electronic dance music-y stuff.
I'd never thought of combining the audio with the plot/scenes, but thinking of that now, there'd have to be some triumphant, full orchestral texture that accompanies the mothership as it plows past Earth. A single flute melody that weaves its way down from a high pitch to a low pitch might accompany the pod as it flutters down onto the ground.
I reckon with the help of my friends (I know a lot of varied people, ~70 who would/might help), and whichever lovely musicians here want to help, it would be possible to at least create 50% of your music, for pretty much free (to be decided - if you wanted production music that would cost you a lot anyway.) But yeh, add me in as someone who can help.
And Chook, you'd be surprised: I don't know your range, but there's always scope for a singer in an epic piece. Even if you can only sing below a bottom, bottom Bb: :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 05:54:10 am »

I'd never thought of combining the audio with the plot/scenes, but thinking of that now, there'd have to be some triumphant, full orchestral texture that accompanies the mothership as it plows past Earth. A single flute melody that weaves its way down from a high pitch to a low pitch might accompany the pod as it flutters down onto the ground.
Yep, that's exactly what I had in mind. There will be a couple of such situations/scenes that will work 100 times better with a fitting music accompanying it.

GHAO

• Thinking
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 10:15:43 am »

Care to divulge? :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 11:28:32 am »

It's not yet definite by far, since it's all subject to how the gameplay evolves etc, but for example: approaching and entering 300-500 years old ruins of some large city, that later turns into a dwelling place of ... dangerous things ;)

GHAO

• Thinking
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 12:22:35 pm »

Now that would sound amazing..!
There's a 'something' (feature?) on the Google Nexus phone that mixes its way between two different songs on shuffle. It's pretty neat, and I reckon with a bit of tinkering, and a slowing down of the process, you could 'evolve' from one piece to another... going from being awestruck by the majesty of a once-great city, for example, to going into a mild state of panic as the... dangerous things... reveal themselves. Or a short, sharp, shock!
Maybe, it would be an original filmscore for each and every user, one that could react to the body's function perhaps? Like heartrate increase = tempo increase, and a reduction in light (going into a forest) would either calm you down or freak you out, depending if you were looking for shade or if it was pitch black and scary; and certain 'achievements' or 'checkpoints', or proximity-triggered events such as sighting a generic great ruin or watching the sun rise would slowly mix in a setpiece music track...
Going really overboard, it might be possible to include 'old-tech' such as finding an occaisonal iPod in the dirt. The item would be curios only, not really any practical use, unless it could be bartered, but it could be possible to listen to some really butchered modern classics (depending on cost). That would be fun to make, and certainly add to the enjoyment value of such an easter egg.
Different areas around the world could have different themes or motifs, that gives a player who starts in Asia a different in-game 'culture' to someone who starts in Europe. That would make trade with strangers more interesting if snippets of foreign music were heard and might make some people seek others out instead of turtling their ways through the game. And with the huge wealth of real-world musical cultures we have, a mash-up of Amazonian drumming and Mongolian throat-singing in-game would be something never heard before.

I'm pretty much making this all up on the spot, so with some careful thinking, and a wizard like you at coding, this game could have the best music ever, and I want it to have the best music ever as well :P. I will of course keep spewing out suggestions, please shoot them down if it's not what you want :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 12:38:46 pm »

May I suggest a few selection from Nine Inch Nails "The Slip" album which he released open license. Like this in instrumental would what I would like to walk through those cities hearing. (or not instrumental the lyrics sort of match it up)..
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

GHAO

• Thinking
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 01:55:52 pm »

That's an interesting first song... it really wouldn't take much to make an instrumental version. Something tells me flute or clarinet. If you were walking through an abandoned city having a soft voice like that, whispering on the wind, now that would be spooky.

DarkDXZ

• Exception within exception...EXCEPTION!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 05:05:14 pm »

For GOOD royalty-free music, you might want to check out MachinimaSound.
Assuming that it's actually fitting - nobody likes unfitting music in their games.
"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?" - Joseph Stalin