Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Middle-Earth World for Outerra released!  (Read 221163 times)

Atrax

• AtraxGaming Game Shop
Re: Middle-Earth World for Outerra released!
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 04:53:41 pm »

wow this is pretty amazing, downloading it now :D
And yea I agree, this has to be some kind of a record what Outerra team has done here. At the very least it gives a new meaning to the word "sandbox game". Middle Earth looks great too, great work! :) Off to try it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 04:58:26 pm by Atrax »

monks

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 04:28:54 am »

Hey Atrax, saw your post over on YT.

monks

Atrax

• AtraxGaming Game Shop
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 07:58:33 am »

Hey Atrax, saw your post over on YT.

monks

Yea, that was me! xD

obren

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 02:31:05 pm »

Hey, guys. I just bought Outerra, and my Middle Earth map stopped working, it was working fine in the demo mode. Also I have copied the textures in the earth folder but the world is still loading when I move around fast.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 02:37:34 pm »

The problem is that the full version uses color data for biomes and vegetation density, and M-E dataset hasn't been updated yet. To use M-E world, please go into the demo mode after selecting the world, by clicking "demo mode" link above the login button.
Once the dataset is updated with biomes, it will work in full mode as well.

obren

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 02:42:33 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. Keep up the good work.

connectamabob

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 10:43:55 am »

:) This is amazing. I'm not into Tolkien myself, but the fact that this can be done is fantastic. I can imagine there are many fantasy/sci-fi worlds that could be realized like this. Prolly a number of people who'd want to recreate Westros, and I'd love to have a go at creating Arakkis.

Makes me very curious about tools and workflow needed.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 01:26:15 pm »

:) This is amazing. I'm not into Tolkien myself, but the fact that this can be done is fantastic. I can imagine there are many fantasy/sci-fi worlds that could be realized like this. Prolly a number of people who'd want to recreate Westros, and I'd love to have a go at creating Arakkis.

Makes me very curious about tools and workflow needed.

... Arakkis ? ... from the Dune ? ... well if there would be dynamic sand dunes possible in the future of OT, it might be an very interesting place whyte some worms digging, eating vehicles around. But there was not much topographic info in the saga. The whole south is practically unknown territory. Would take some thought to simulate the possible look of it, when there was water ages ago and the terrain corrosion after.

But sounds like a nice challenge there ...

Doe i cant really wait to see some village models be put into ME. Would be cool to see the whole white city there ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Redrobes

• http://www.viewingdale.com
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 04:27:39 pm »

Just to note that we have the proper biome information as part of MeDem since its generated with the help of a terrain sim which models stuff including the vegetation map which is currently in the 'old' release pre biome support. At the moment tho we need to make another full run of the terrain in order to generate the proper biome information which would take a few weeks of CPU run. So we will get a proper MeDem compatible version for Outerras Biome support but I reckon that it will have to be patched with the best file available right now just to make it run in the meantime.

Can I also take this opportunity to plug the outercraft forum which was created by Cameni for the purpose of organizing the creation of 3D models for MeDem. So far we haven't seen anyone yet who has made anything substantial. It would be nice to see some basic models in the MeDem on Outerra data set.

http://worlds.outercraft.com/forum/

PytonPago

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 01:47:05 am »

At the moment tho we need to make another full run of the terrain in order to generate the proper biome information which would take a few weeks of CPU run. So we will get a proper MeDem compatible version for Outerras Biome support but I reckon that it will have to be patched with the best file available right now just to make it run in the meantime.

I recall several phys-chem softwares being used to calculate subatomic molecule structure based on Schrodingers function. This "probability" function is hardcore computing stuff taking at some examples 5 years to compute the normal way so they hooked the software whyte external computing capability - simply, all whyte a little soft-app on the net could take a fraction of the computing load if their PC is not used or idle. Would be interesting to expand your terrain-tools that way to get a hand whyte that process from various people.

Can I also take this opportunity to plug the outercraft forum which was created by Cameni for the purpose of organizing the creation of 3D models for MeDem. So far we haven't seen anyone yet who has made anything substantial. It would be nice to see some basic models in the MeDem on Outerra data set.

http://worlds.outercraft.com/forum/

Didnt know about this forum ... thanks ! ... i already found something nice there from Ennecap :

We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Redrobes

• http://www.viewingdale.com
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 08:41:23 am »

Yes its possible to do these kinds of processing jobs in a networked way. The app is one that I write and is what is called massively multi threaded and we also break the terrain up into tiles so regardless of the threading we could just issue a tile each and get the results. The main issue tho is that the input for the tile is quite a lot of data and its slower to send it out and get the results back than it is to process it. So yes we could do it in parallel if we had a lot of CPUs networked locally.

We could also do some of the processing on the GPU. My app was designed so that it could be ported to a GPU at some stage. When I wrote it a long while back GPUs didnt have the RAM capacity to store one tile but its different now so it could be done that way. I would estimate about a 10x speed up in that case.

Oh yes, and Ennecap has some excellent work going on. Unfortunately and quite understandably I dont think his version of Minas Tirith will be public or make it into Outerra.

PytonPago

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 10:07:18 am »

... hmm ... how big is the raw data for a tile (and its dimensions in OT km space) ? 

... also, i thought there is a "stream" like way of doing it. Kind of a segment of a tile send, computed results uploaded, while the next segment could do someone else.
    Know a guy from phys-chem section was once telling us about a possible torrent parallel-was just an idea of coupling it to q-torrent and similar whyle it would use just as fraction of CPU (whyte actual usage in mind). It was then rejected at some point but the idea was to network this way every active torrent-client using PC. May seem like a piece by piece approach, but in that numbers the actual computing speed, even at a individual fraction-CPU usage, would go up greatly combined whyte the normal approach (yes still thought for the 3+ years computing processes - even a month is a nice reduction for those guys). Maybe not usable for small projects like this, but if it would see the daylight in future, adding such a process could be handled kind of a special torrent file way for any a client would like to help whyte. I thought it was a pretty neat concept.

... yes, Enn is a pro (looked at some project from him at the net), pretty nice stuff hes working on. Too bad for that model, but kinda nice to see its detail-level.
Been thinking about big city concept models. If there would be an option to choose city detail in OT (close base or hardcore options - see further on) - to that based special city models would react. It would look like this:
- 4 stage LOD city, where first is far-LOD, middle distance LOD and two for close space (one a base- nice textured one whyte just some specially picked rooms to enter,  and the second a hardcore LOD where every house would have the complete interiors and all rooms accessible). It could be a server based model stream like the terrain - downloading just the parts you visit or see at certain distances (so no need to download the whole city data for it to be usable for the client). A dump-function could be a part of it that would delete the oldest or least "visiting" to make space for new city blocks whyle traveling the world as a city could take a great amount of HDD space in this regard (maybe an enhanced options section whyte various parameters for these things in-game to be chosen by the player could come in handy too like the max HDD city usage, LOD download distances etc.). - maybe a little far-fetched, but openly - OT is to ground level and the white city is already a great piece of city to be rendered whole just like a single-type model if you walk the streets trough. Also usable for other possible projects than just ME. But in ME the only problem would be long structures in witch just fortress walls and the white city would have issues whyte LOD blending, as other towns have mostly individual houses witch could be as individual pieces of the city. But still could be possible ... damn, have to finish my military project and start contributing here whyte some Edoras wood-houses to make it come true. :P
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:12:51 am by PytonPago »

connectamabob

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 08:52:09 am »

[... Arakkis ? ... from the Dune ? ... well if there would be dynamic sand dunes possible in the future of OT, it might be an very interesting place whyte some worms digging, eating vehicles around. But there was not much topographic info in the saga. The whole south is practically unknown territory. Would take some thought to simulate the possible look of it, when there was water ages ago and the terrain corrosion after.

But sounds like a nice challenge there ...

Yup. I'm a big fan of the books (the original ones, not the Brian Herbert fanfics), so for me it would be a very engaging challenge. Dynamic sand dunes would be a bit much maybe (seems like something that would be insanely processor intensive), but I drool at the thought of using biomes to create the different kinds of desert geography/geology described and implied in the books.

When it comes to adaptations and illustrations, I have more fun with stuff that gives me room to "fill in the blanks". I have a strong imagination, so stuff that's really mostly filled in already actually gets confining for me, and attempts on my part to illustrate such worlds run right up against uberfans' resistance to third party creative liberties. Something with less explicit details lets me stretch my creative legs without risking conflict.

This has actually already got me pulling the books down off the shelf and doing sketches for 'thopters, stillsuits, characters, location "sets", etc. I may end up doing 3D models of some of those even if I can't do Arrakis in Outerra.

Just as a heads-up, in English it's "Dune", not "The Dune": the books' titles refer to word "Dune" being a colloquial proper noun name for the planet (the books are named after the planet Dune, a.k.a. Arrakis, not after a sand dune). Dunno if other languages treat proper nouns differently than English does in that regard. If not, then the tile has been mistranslated.

PytonPago

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 09:14:38 am »

.. those dynamic sand dunes just in sense of some time (coming to a place and it may have sand peaks changed) and in specific areas of course ... hasnt to be much complicated in that way. 

"Fill in the blanks" in scifi series is really a nice imagination relaxer. I would like to see Arrakis in OT one day too ... actually, the engine has potential in dreamworld planetary rebuilding. ME-DEMs a proof for that. Just wait till some huts and villages start to grow there.  :D

monks

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 09:47:55 am »

:)...it would be a great thing indeed if other folks build other worlds for Outerra. I've given as much help as I can to peeps asking me here and other places but I should create a tutorial or walkthrough. I do have a workflow written down but it's only broad strokes. But then anything more detailed than that would be a novel sized tut so I'm not realistically going to get that done I'm afraid.
 I know some guy wants/is doing Westeros for Outerra, and Dune would be cool too. I never read the books (can't actually remember...) but the film was cool- casting my mind right back. There are so many worlds that would be interesting to make; GreyHawk, Forgotten Realms. the thing is you have to think long term if the project data is going to survive, put it in industry standard formats wherever possible. But then you have potential problems of cease and disists when you're creating stuff from intellectual property. It's a gamble I guess. Rule #1 don't make a game out of it.
 Even though it's not strictly necessary with Outerra, georeferencing all of your project is a firm foundation. One day all games are going to need GIS aware engines. I'm convinced of it- all those that are planetary sized anyway. Even those are not, might benefit a lot from GIS data such as street maps and 3D buildings...don't how licensing would be though, so maybe they would just take the generate your own content procedurally route.
 I've said it before, but the thing that most fascinates me, other than the creating the landscape, is underground areas. I'd love to create Moria. For really large projects, it'd need a vector line and shape input (.shp format) with procedural content (tunnels, etc) generated from the lines.

monks
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6