Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: creating your own world  (Read 2854 times)

Mark

creating your own world
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:23:46 am »

Hi,

I'm just downloading the Middle Earth DEM and I'm wondering how easy (or hard) it is to import your own DEM's and what formats etc. the engine supports. I did search the forums for this and found nothing, but if there's already a topic for this I apologize in advance. I'd love to make my own world and see it in Outerra.

Cheers

Mark

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: creating your own world
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:49:54 am »

Right now the process that ME-DEM guys use is fairly complex, mainly on the side of preparing the data outside of Outerra. Basically you are supposed to prepare the elevation data for your world in resolution around 100m. Even for relatively small continents it means large amounts of data to process, so you have to use tools that can manage such sizes.

The import is also hard-coded for ME data currently, I just hacked it to enable the ability to import their world. I need to create a generalized interface for the import. But if you (will) have the data, we can do something about it in a similar way.

I think Monks of ME-DEM wanted to create a tutorial for the process of how they produced the data, in order to look good in OT.

Mark

Re: creating your own world
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 03:11:35 pm »

Thanks for the info, I'll look into some tools, no data yet but it would be very cool if there was a generalized interface for importing DEMs.