Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Large-scale battle simulator?  (Read 11476 times)

DarkDXZ

• Exception within exception...EXCEPTION!
Large-scale battle simulator?
« on: February 17, 2013, 05:30:21 pm »

First of all - hello again, everyone - long time no see. ;)
Did I miss anything truly important?

A bit of off-topic, but still related.
After rediscovering HoMM 3, I realized how huge-scale the battles can get, given the sheer amount of troops you can be given, especially in late-game.

However, since those huge stacks of monsters were...Well, stacks ie. n amount of monsters of the same type were fit on one square/hex, it kinda didn't give you the scale. (but it's been like that in all of HoMM, and it would just melt every PC at the time the game would be out - even HoMM 6 would struggle, probably).

So, why not implement some kind of battle simulation system, where you can import monsters or otherwise killing (or not) machines to spectate the overall greatness. (maybe even control one of  those cute things)
While I know that Outerra isn't a top-tier engine in terms of performance (still high, tho, I suppose), would something like this be possible at some point?
"The Pope? How many divisions has he got?" - Joseph Stalin

GHAO

• Thinking
Re: Large-scale battle simulator?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:19:43 pm »

I don't think it's as high a priority as something like a flight sim, but it could be done I guess. Don't know what country you're from, but in Britain about 5 years ago we had a mock/simulated battle TV program - an amateur team would take on the computer, as the Romans vs. the Celts or Huns etc... I would guess your idea would be something similar, but with 'imagination'?
Also, exception within exception... EXCEPTION....... nice :) But what about the reception to your reception held in a reception... is that reception still?

DarkDXZ

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 06:22:54 am »

I don't think it's as high a priority as something like a flight sim, but it could be done I guess. Don't know what country you're from, but in Britain about 5 years ago we had a mock/simulated battle TV program - an amateur team would take on the computer, as the Romans vs. the Celts or Huns etc... I would guess your idea would be something similar, but with 'imagination'?
Also, exception within exception... EXCEPTION....... nice :) But what about the reception to your reception held in a reception... is that reception still?

I am from ze Poland, fyi.
Also, the persona mentioned in my sig is better known as Stalin'. (even if there wasn't any racism involved in his time of reign - I was never good at history...)

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:45:39 am »

Also, the persona mentioned in my sig is better known as Stalin'. (even if there wasn't any racism involved in his time of reign - I was never good at history...)
I knew who he was.  As much of a nutcase as he was, he did have some impressive things to say, like "The Pope?  How many divisions has he got?"
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

DarkDXZ

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 05:22:22 pm »

I knew who he was.  As much of a nutcase as he was, he did have some impressive things to say, like "The Pope?  How many divisions has he got?"

You sir just made my...Sig.
(well, technically it's Stalin who did it, but you get the point - and that's kinda a pun, really)

LondonSmith

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 05:35:47 pm »

Was it a history channel show? If we're thinking of the same thing, it used the same engine as the Total War games, specifically Medieval II: Total War.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 03:19:07 am »

Endless planes under a dark sky shaded by the mountains ... countless angry souls ... all those greedy eyes, bloody teeth, iron in hands ... there be blood rivers filling the thirsty trees of this land tonight. ...

Ill take an shield an axe on that.

( No, that is not an reenactment. For some ... well, it has to feel like the real thing. :D )
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:24:47 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.