Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Helicopters are coming  (Read 64265 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2010, 06:43:33 am »

No, no TrackIR yet, we only tried to liven it up by turning the camera with mouse, but only at the beginning.

The flight characteristic is controlled by JSBSim, but the FDM for Apache is recent and will be updated.
Currently the control is rather hard as there's no stabilizer (there should be one in JSBSim but it's not yet enabled). We'll see how it would fly with some automatic control - surely we want also the non-simmers to enjoy the helicopters.

sniperwolfpk5

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 12:07:51 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Still, we will want to showcase the engine to the Arma fans as well, who are used to the simplified controls. I wonder how to do it though, to show some window upon first entering a helicopter or a plane where one can select normal or simplified control mode? Would that be repulsive to the simmers as well?
Or maybe putting it as an option to a menu.

This is my dream that i go to helicopter open the door, play with switches and fly it as a real pilot.

OGREMAN

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2011, 09:03:30 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Quote from: Pico
Is the Handling of the Heli like ArmA or BFVietnam? Would be nice to play with Mouse und Keyboard.
Not yet, I had to learn flying the helicopter with joystick. Not the easiest thing under the sun, but it's fun.
But I guess for the demo we'll need simplified controls as well.
Ah Haa... you want helicopters that are REALISTIC flight handling ... I fly DCS BLACK SHARK ... KA50 in full realisim mode with a fully 3d interactive cockpit (that is every switch dial and knob actually functions) it can be murder to fly under some conditions but Ohh What joy to master it. See this example of the software in action...  I would also add that most flight sim users are used to having a optional High/Low realisim mode select.
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"

ben1101

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2011, 03:18:15 pm »

Hi OGREMAN,

I play DCS:BS with the AP channels ALWAYS OFF, nothing beats the satisfaction of holding the ship in a stable hover whle lining up targets in the Schvkal and keeping an eye out for the flash of a missile launch - talk about multi tasking. But man, with the channels off you can really feel the weight of the ship, almost 8 tonnes armed and moving that beast around is the closest to dancing I will ever get! :P

Adding n a great hotas and head tracking and it feels like someone has lent me a real shark for the night!

I still cant get over what flying around in a high fidelity environment like Outerra will be like, the real feeling of flight that is just lacking from the current low fidelity sims out right now.

Cameni, seriously Im thinking about swapping my ATI 5850 for two Nvidia 460's if ATI is gonna screw with your sh*t :P

Amazing work as usual, and I have noticed all the details for the Apache A model are unclassified (secretly I was hoping DCS would pick that one next, but apparently they have gone for another boring US fixed wing AC) so maybe when you guys give up sleeping and eating you could make an awesome high fidelity apache heh? (Seriously though, Ill be happy as long as it requires counter torque input from the pedals to compensate for power applied to the rotor and has a somewhat dynamic feel to it)

Oh, for the record I grew up wanting to be a heli pilot with a burning passion, got 30 hours in before being denied a medical  - and Yes I know I should have done the medical first but to fly is to fly and they were the best 30 hours of my life, 11 in an R22 and 19 in the H300. Now Im a hardcore simmer and very excited about the technological progressions we are experiencing, both in hardware and software thats gonna really make simulated flight feel like flight, and flight is good amiright?

Peace!
Helicopters and the other stuff that there is around this place. And pizza.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2011, 02:18:23 am »

Quote from: ben1101
Seriously though, Ill be happy as long as it requires counter torque input from the pedals to compensate for power applied to the rotor and has a somewhat dynamic feel to it
It does, absolutely no help from any automatics at the moment. I never flew helis before, had to learn it hard way here :)

ben1101

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2011, 03:48:18 am »

Just had a (to me) Great Idea-

Have auomated Deer in the High Fidelity hills with the High Fidelity Trees and bush and have a Deer recovery Game with the helis like the Old Kiwis did back in the day!

Watch this vid for an idea of how they really pushed those machines:

Could spend hours playing that, would maybe be multi player one pilot, one gunner etc kee going until one crashes or gets too many points etc.

:)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2011, 09:42:41 am »

Oh, planetary-scale deer recovery game .. that would be one funny way to introduce a planetary engine  :D

ben1101

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2011, 10:03:35 am »

Oh yeah about the planetary stuff... huh.. I got nothing but it sure is a great place to do stuff.. whatever stuff that may be...

well it would be a nice little sub game for a super niche, however I guess I would already be far outdone by any wargame type approach with enemy ground forces under tree canopies to shoot at rather than the mighty deer :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2011, 10:22:47 am »

Quote from: ben1101
Oh yeah about the planetary stuff... huh.. I got nothing but it sure is a great place to do stuff.. whatever stuff that may be...
Yea, we could name the game "The Stuff" :D

But those small games could be done on the sim platform we've been talking about, if we ever get to making one. The goal is essentially to enable developers to cover those special niches. With the total number of people on the net there will be more than enough of them willing to recover the deer - if only the developer didn't have to develop the world rendering again and again.
So, one day, maybe :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2011, 01:20:27 pm »

Hrm... "The Stuff" the game.

Outerra... Do Stuff

I try to think of current games that wouldn't benefit from being in Outerra and there are none.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

ben1101

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2011, 07:34:13 am »

ZeosPantera

I couldnt agree more. Perfectly said.

Cameni,

Helicopters are a small part of a big world (but a big part of my small world), and where there are no limits to what can be achieved in this big world except the imagination they may as well not exist at all!

Its like you have pandoras box, the unlimited ability to create worlds at your whim and fancy - now what to do with this amazing creation of yours is the problem, how to monetize it is not (at least within a certain timeframe where and when the copiers are sniffing around)

Hueyman

Re: Helicopters are coming
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2012, 06:17:02 pm »

Hey Ben, I think I already saw you on the org.. I'm the legendary, (un)famous Hueyman.. formerly caliber5verm.

I think you are from the guys whith who I'm ok with, not from " the other side " you know, the org...

Anyway , I'm 100% with you, I'm 17YO and also fully burning passionate by rotorwing, my most big wish for X-Plane is a Huey - Vietnam Era, but it seems no one is open to that.. so maybe those Outerra guys would give it a try.

I also want to be a pilot, will ( normally I hope ) pass the exams in one year and a half, in the Army, after my graduation.. hope medically all is OK, I don't what I could do without helis..

Cheers to anyone here, loved actual Anterworld phyisiology.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2012, 12:02:37 am »

Hey Ben, I think I already saw you on the org.. I'm the legendary, (un)famous Hueyman.. formerly caliber5verm.

I think you are from the guys whith who I'm ok with, not from " the other side " you know, the org...

Anyway , I'm 100% with you, I'm 17YO and also fully burning passionate by rotorwing, my most big wish for X-Plane is a Huey - Vietnam Era, but it seems no one is open to that.. so maybe those Outerra guys would give it a try.

I also want to be a pilot, will ( normally I hope ) pass the exams in one year and a half, in the Army, after my graduation.. hope medically all is OK, I don't what I could do without helis..

Cheers to anyone here, loved actual Anterworld phyisiology.
Let me guess, elitist oldies who can't stand new ideas?  Shame, I've seen enough of that.  It's what inevitably happens with small groups like that.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

Hueyman

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2012, 02:27:43 am »

That's it..

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2012, 07:20:57 am »

I still cant get over what flying around in a high fidelity environment like Outerra will be like, the real feeling of flight that is just lacking from the current low fidelity sims out right now.

Damn right whyte that ! Something simple and user friendly as an civil lightweight heli in full-clic cocpit would be an "onored wowzer" in Outerra ... lets see how long that realization will take ...

Cameni - nice screens ! Cant wait for the vid.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5