Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Helicopters are coming  (Read 62418 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« on: October 16, 2010, 04:31:50 am »

Another vehicle type has been added to the engine, utilizing the recently added support for helicopters in JSBSim. So far flying with the helicopter showed up to be a lot of fun and one can really appreciate the terrain detail here.

This is just a teaser now, but more screenshots and a video of it in action will be coming next week.

[edit] Added two more screenshots, video won't be on time because of a bug appearing after rewriting some parts of the terrain code.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 05:56:41 am »

Ah. All that is missing now is the space shuttle and a normal type car.

Is that Fractalopolis I see there?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 06:04:16 am »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Is that Fractalopolis I see there?
Yes, and down below is the cabin from the last video.

pico

• http://
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 07:34:05 am »

Very cool, i like to fly around whit Helicopters. :)

Is the Handling of the Heli like ArmA or BFVietnam? Would be nice to play with Mouse und Keyboard.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 07:45:46 am »

Quote from: Pico
Is the Handling of the Heli like ArmA or BFVietnam? Would be nice to play with Mouse und Keyboard.
Not yet, I had to learn flying the helicopter with joystick. Not the easiest thing under the sun, but it's fun.
But I guess for the demo we'll need simplified controls as well.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 10:40:29 am »

Awesome, an AH-64 Apache!  How long before it can be fitted with working rockets?
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

Kridian

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 10:53:30 am »

How detailed is the cockpit?

This is the best screenshot yet!

corona

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 10:58:07 am »

Very cool, i like to fly around whit Helicopters. :)

Oh god please no....you will loose every flightsimmer if you do that.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 11:36:05 am »

Quote from: corona

Oh god please no....you will loose every flightsimmer if you do that.
Still, we will want to showcase the engine to the Arma fans as well, who are used to the simplified controls. I wonder how to do it though, to show some window upon first entering a helicopter or a plane where one can select normal or simplified control mode? Would that be repulsive to the simmers as well?
Or maybe putting it as an option to a menu.

halobungie

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 11:41:02 am »

Hello Brano,
CONGRATULATIONS, the Helicopter "Apache" looks very Great and Thanks in Advance for the Video!!!
Greetings,
halobungie

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 11:42:35 am »

Quote from: Kridian
How detailed is the cockpit?
Should be detailed enough, has got more faces than that of Cessna. But it's not finished yet.

Quote from: RaikoRaufoss
Awesome, an AH-64 Apache!  How long before it can be fitted with working rockets?
Oh, rockets .. not soon, effects needed for it will be coming only later.

corona

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 01:29:42 pm »

Quote from: brano.kemen
Still, we will want to showcase the engine to the Arma fans as well, who are used to the simplified controls. I wonder how to do it though, to show some window upon first entering a helicopter or a plane where one can select normal or simplified control mode? Would that be repulsive to the simmers as well?
Or maybe putting it as an option to a menu.

If it's an option it has to stick, nobody will want to select this everytime you enter a vehicle.

But what does that mean now.... How do you handle systems, just think about start-up procedure.

This has me very worried Outerra will become another explore the world thingy with no real depth. Might as well use Google Earth.

I think you will really need to seperate basic and advanced models of every vehicle if you want to go down that road.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 01:37:50 pm »

Quote from: corona
This has me very worried Outerra will become another explore the world thingy with no real depth. Might as well use Google Earth.

Remember though, Outerra isn't a game ... it's an engine on which games and other applications can be built.

It's interesting though ... I wonder what Google Earth would do with an engine like this? :)
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Helicopters are coming
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 02:05:12 pm »

Look, it's not a simulator - just an engine. All the simulation components it's got are for demonstration purposes only, to show the integration possibilities and that there's enough power left so that the system simulation can run there.

We are now talking about a demo, surely you don't expect it will be a full fledged simulator in itself. The demo is about demonstrating the technology for multiple areas of interest, not just simulators but also other game and visualization types, and so we want to make it usable for a wider audience.

But I'm wondering if it doesn't have to be separated, if the sim guys are this easily offended .. :(

corona

Helicopters are coming
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 02:24:21 pm »

I think I didn't express very well what I meant to say. I'm sorry.

No, I don't expect it to be a full-fledge simulator, but I do expect the demo to show off the JSBSim's realistic flight handling characteristics. I didn't mean I expect the demo to include a full fledged helicopter with all systems, what I meant was that if you come out with a product, and you make it a simple switch between realistic and...lets say not so realistic, then this cannot simply include the flight handling. I don't think whoever wants to fly with mouse/keyboard will want to deal with fuel-pumps for instance. Most likey they will want to press the up key or whatever and climb away.

So what I meant was, if you want to do this, then you will essentially need two diff vehicles, yes, you can probably keep the same external model, but everything else will differ to such extend that its basically a different vehicle. I know its just an engine, but you or a partner of you will hopefully build a game out of it in the future. And if that game goes the direction of every vehicle is switchable between simple and realistic handling, then I don't see this working. I think you will need two diff. vehicle types/classes whatever you want to call them.

Also, I'm not offended :-)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5