Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Dark videos  (Read 7487 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Dark videos
« on: December 05, 2012, 03:30:12 am »

OK, now that the recorder works, here is my new problem.

A screenshot taken in-game.
http://i5.minus.com/ii28nMIZ3T6M7.jpg

A frame of the converted YOG video, same spot same lighting.
http://i2.minus.com/icOw3XwFptjbn.jpg

Slightly darker wouldn't you say? What did I mess up now.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Dark videos
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 04:34:26 am »

Some video players do not handle the color ranges properly, or FFMPEG doesn't put the right flags there. But in other players it usually works, also on youtube. Try other players, and check if you get the right light levels after uploading to youtube.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 01:47:54 pm »

Very odd. MPC-HC (http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/) usually has no problems with any video source. Even native 10-Bit color and odd framerate.

! Private video

The video on youtube looks "OK" maybe still a bit dark but not as bad as it does playing locally. My cat says Hi and my desktop mic sits on the external Hard Drive that I was recording to. Interesting combination.

I just loaded one of the .avi converted files into virtualdub (the worlds most popular video program) for editing and sound manipulation and got this message

It may work fine with its own rescue functions but can these things be fixed in the converter?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:55:27 pm by ZeosPantera »
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 02:32:54 pm »

Hmm maybe there's something wrong in the wav header. I'm using Avidemux, I don't recall it complaining though.

I was recently looking at integrating support for other capture formats for the video, Google's VP8 seems promising (also for legal reasons).

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 04:28:19 pm »

For reference here http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/video_editing/virtualdub.cfm is the virtualdub I am using.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 01:24:14 am »

Hey cameni is their any particular reason the video captures come out so dark? I had to bump the brightness on my video nearly 5% just to get the detail back. It may be an over contrast issue. Not sure.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 01:42:28 am »

That's a problem of some players not reading color attributes or something. On some players it's ok, on Youtube too.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:48:47 am »

odd. So does that mean my re-encoding of the video locks the colors that way? Because after conversion MPC and Virtualdub both show dark. I am using the Conv4edit bat.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 01:55:16 am »

I guess so, if you use a conversion tool that doesn't recognize the flags, and writes its own output, it can do that. There may be an option in those tools to force treating the input stream as using the full JPEG color range. In ffmpeg there's a -color_range option which should be:
0 == unspecified
1 == "MPEG" range
2 == "JPEG" range

Maybe it could be used to convert the videos to MPEG color range, so that other tools don't have a problem.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 04:47:38 pm »

Version 0.7.13.3530 fixes the contrast issue, newly generated videos should be ok.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 12:51:52 am »

Is there a way to make it write the recorded data every few seconds in a way that should OT crash the whole video isn't lost and un-usable? I know my setup is a special case but if there is a crash on a normal person it would really suck if a well choreographed scene was ruined by a crash.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 01:17:42 am »

The problem is in ffmpeg that can't read a video that's not terminated properly. I would have fixed that already, but ffmpeg people have changed the structures and I need to rework the codec there first.