Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: more texture variations  (Read 102009 times)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: more texture variations
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2013, 04:11:13 pm »

Can't wait for Death Valley..
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2013, 04:56:09 am »

This is hi definition grass with normal maps applied

Cheers,

K.
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

KelvinNZ

« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2013, 05:03:59 am »

One more hi definition grass texture with normal maps applied

Cheers,

K.

flandan

« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:53 am »

These are looking really great so far :D Are there any plans for specular maps? I feel like allot of the textures would really come alive with some glints and reflectance. Especially rocks on the larger scales.

Keep it up.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2013, 12:06:28 pm »

Both looking great ! It would be awesome if OT would handle them all, cause you could do such neat biomes based on fine weather conditions like this in all of its types in great detail and reality.  ... looking forward for all !
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2013, 01:02:56 pm »

It would be awesome if OT would handle them all

You typed that wrong.

.. It WILL be awesome WHEN OT CAN handle them all
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2013, 01:26:16 pm »

It would be awesome if OT would handle them all

You typed that wrong.

.. It WILL be awesome WHEN OT CAN handle them all

Youre right Zeos ! Oh my !  :o .... Cameny, Angrypig, sorry for underestimating you and your great creation ...

... But, that means, we need at least 68 different types of ground textures for each of the whole lot of biomes and a set of 80 + for the mining-set minerals for future caves, each whyte its uniqueness and awesomeness stretching combined around the wast empty spaces of OT-E later generated for each region on wheater and mech. damage indexes, hawing theyr friction coeficient for vehicle-interaction !!! And when the flora-work starts ... (i should probably, in the mean time, start getting into possible nucleous C-nanotube neural network hardware research  ???)

Dont worry Kelvinr, just babbling around  ;D dont get a heart attack - doe, you get a serious honor feedback, when you do such a thing. (and i thing all can agree that you have what it takes to do so ;) )
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

KelvinNZ

« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2013, 03:30:56 pm »

thanks for all your kind words. I know at this stage the complete biome system texture list has not been finalised, at least that I know of. the big problem with textures is that they still need to be loaded on the gpu memory so there will need to be a cap on them until all end user hardware can support a large amount of textures.

I think there's 15 biomes that will be used with each biome containing a region. I can't really say more because the structure here has also not been finalised but I can say that I'm sure the initial release should be much better than what we have now given even a conservative texture number.

oh yes, I believe there will be additional texture enhancements as it would be good to have some reflectance and more depth to textures.
cheers,

K
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:40:35 pm by Kelvinr »

KelvinNZ

« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2013, 01:03:55 am »

testing forest floor type covering with embedded rocks in the ground and general grassy material with normal maps.

Cheers,

K

Ozybolairy

« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2013, 03:46:20 am »

Any idea how all these textures you're creating are going to interconnect? e.g. going from grass to sand or snow. Will it be the same as it is currently handled with patches of the second texture slowly increasing to a full change or will there be something more subtle.  I ask this because the embedded rock texture looks like it could provide a better transition between grass and mountain rock textures for example.

KelvinNZ

« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2013, 04:04:23 am »

Hi Ozy,

As I understand it, all the textures will eventually be used to define each Biome area. They will all be linked together by the Biome compiler but if you need more specifics about the method in which the Biome compiler will connect/link all the textures I will need to refer you to Brano to answer as I don't want to give the wrong information. My sole area of focus and knowledge primarily stands with the texturing and some other information that needs to be considered to make them correctly.

I am aware that Brano is quite busy and focused on OT at present so I would take it easy on him if he doesn't come back immediately. I'm sure he will come back to answer this question in due course  :)

Cheers,

K.

KelvinNZ

« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2013, 05:25:04 am »

End of the road!!

K.

PytonPago

« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2013, 11:12:48 am »

End of the road!!

K.

... seems like a Slovakian road  ;D ... well, maybe a few craters here and there  ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2013, 12:26:42 pm »

A bit too patternized.. I know you don't have any control over that but this will certainly be awesome when it blends with good road and REALLY F__Ked up road. Plus as per Outerra-sanity.. Those cracks need to be physical.

GHAO

• Thinking
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2013, 02:02:03 pm »

Yeh, my only complaint of your entire output Kelvin is how many cracks there are! Just a few per 5m^2 would be sufficient I think!
Otherwise, brilliant as usual!
I also copy what Zeos says - there'd better be work going on to make those cracks actually be gaps.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12