Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: more texture variations  (Read 101981 times)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: more texture variations
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2013, 03:08:40 pm »

By paintable I mean just as the road tool allows you to draw rounds, there could be a texture tool which allows you to paint textures. For example take a golf course, you would start with a base texture which would form the rough, over the top you could draw a fairway and at one end add the green. This then leads to texture brushes, you could add a feather effect to the texture which can be altered  so it gradually merges with another texture e.g. from grass to mud, or cuts off straight away e.g. A zebra crossing

... textures are now given by terrain-gradients / height, are they ? .. biome-ones much probably will too ... seems, there would be an other way needed for such drawn ones to stick to that place, overlaying them ?
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2013, 03:15:22 pm »

Ah I see, well I'm not sure about this one but sounds like you're talking about dynamic texture placement or something along those lines. I'm really not sure how this could be done. Brano or Mr Angry Pig will be better to respond to this.
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

KelvinNZ

« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2013, 01:54:15 am »

Some roadside gravel. Actually would be nice to see some sort of gravel patches like this with roads, perhaps put them on road corners. Stop off areas for those long drives.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2013, 03:30:33 am »

By paintable I mean just as the road tool allows you to draw rounds, there could be a texture tool which allows you to paint textures. For example take a golf course, you would start with a base texture which would form the rough, over the top you could draw a fairway and at one end add the green. This then leads to texture brushes, you could add a feather effect to the texture which can be altered  so it gradually merges with another texture e.g. from grass to mud, or cuts off straight away e.g. A zebra crossing
Yes, this will be supported by the vector overlay, which is basically an extension of the road system except done via polygons and with other possibilities of how the terrain and land type can be manipulated.

Ozybolairy

« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2013, 08:30:47 am »

excellent news, cannot wait to write defamatory words over countries i'm not fond of! would also aid in adding more detail, but thats by the by

pico

• http://
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2013, 11:54:51 am »

Very nice Textures Kelvinr.  :)

Foxiol

• Gamer
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2013, 01:26:38 pm »

Kelvin is the master of textures and I am a texture whore literally. ;)

By the way I played Metro Last Light for the entire night (today) and wow...I never seen such quality textures in my life in a game...even better than The Witcher 2 or Battlefield 3.

A sample of one of those textures in the floor that called my attention just because it looked so real.

And the full gallery with 100+ pictures until half of the game...I´ll finish it later tonight.

http://imgur.com/a/gVlDg#0

This is probably the best looking game ever made to date.

BUT Outerra is my favourite Graphics Engine. ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:28:16 pm by Foxiol »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2013, 09:36:56 pm »

Go download SweetFX and put a profile together that adds the crazy Lum Sharpness and adjust the shadows and color palette.

Check out these screens I took in PlanetSide2..

I can't mess with SweetFX and Outerra because OpenGl.. But OT should have all those options built into itself anyway.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

KelvinNZ

« Reply #128 on: May 17, 2013, 10:11:37 pm »

Kelvin is the master of textures and I am a texture whore literally. ;)

By the way I played Metro Last Light for the entire night (today) and wow...I never seen such quality textures in my life in a game...even better than The Witcher 2 or Battlefield 3.

A sample of one of those textures in the floor that called my attention just because it looked so real.

And the full gallery with 100+ pictures until half of the game...I´ll finish it later tonight.

http://imgur.com/a/gVlDg#0

This is probably the best looking game ever made to date.

BUT Outerra is my favourite Graphics Engine. ;)

Thanks for the compliment. This looks very nice also.

I can see this being a very "tiled" texture over a spanned distance and the amount of work to try and get it to not tile on a larger landscape would surely reduce the quality significantly.

IMHO the primary issue with any game textures like this is repetition. Reducing the span of a texture or finding a transitional method between multiple textures would offer less opportunity for the eye to detect the tiling effect, although this effect can be very noticeable in even smaller areas. processing or high passing a texture too much to reduce the tiling can also ruin the texture and you can then loose the 3d effect. Also, not all textures will work so a fairly time consuming effort can be put on a single texture to get it looking perfect.

The difference for OT is that most games out there do not have the problem of having to span textures large distances. There are many things that break the texture i.e static ground models, foliage, etc... so there's a sweet spot to be found with the textures in terms of quality. Some textures that we know may tile (like in your screenshot) will be ok to use in a small area because the texture doesn't have the chance to repeat enough to notice.

Two other significant factors to consider is object (i.e stone shadows) lighting in the image and the distance from the eye perspective to the actual texture objects. I never realised how much is involved when putting a texture inside a game, but the end result can be very pleasing indeed.

K.

KelvinNZ

« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2013, 01:21:34 am »

New enhanced beach wave foam if anyone is interested.

old foam

new foam

Download
http://sdrv.ms/12IushZ

Sam

• nearby
« Reply #130 on: May 19, 2013, 05:19:59 am »

Sorry about my odd answer, but I can't see any difference between the old waves and the new one.  :-\
Resident of Outerra

KelvinNZ

« Reply #131 on: May 19, 2013, 05:27:32 am »

That's ok Sam. Basically the texture has been replaced for the foam, if you look in game you will see the slight difference but if you don't then might as well continue with the original. it's supposed to show less tiling and more foam at the shoreline.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2013, 10:01:05 am »

Ah, now that you point it out, there is a lot less tiling.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Sam

• nearby
« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2013, 11:57:37 am »

That's ok Sam. Basically the texture has been replaced for the foam, if you look in game you will see the slight difference but if you don't then might as well continue with the original. it's supposed to show less tiling and more foam at the shoreline.
Like that one  ;)  (1:00 Minute and more)

Resident of Outerra

KelvinNZ

« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2013, 04:10:54 pm »

I like that too. I would say this would be another thing to put on Brano and Angry pig's to do list.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12