Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Game Developer Tools Unity 3D  (Read 5930 times)

b360

Game Developer Tools Unity 3D
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:31:15 pm »

Hello,

I currently learnign to work with the Unity 3D engine and came across your site after seeing a youtube video.  Very impressive.  As a indie developer i would love to see the tools with the algorithms you use on unity 3D from the asset store.  Unity works on C++ or Java and both if necessary.  To be honest I think if you sold the tools independently to developers on the unity asset store that it would be amazing and probably make a lot of revenue for your company during its startup. 

I know im not alone, others are looking for the same tools which there are quite a few but yours seem very nice.   Is this something you have considered?

Thanks.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Game Developer Tools Unity 3D
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 03:02:54 pm »

What kind of tools you have in mind? I don't know how the Unity store works.

I can't quite imagine using Outerra on top of Unity, if that's what you have in mind. Right now Outerra is a specialized engine that works directly on top of OpenGL ≥3.3 and utilizes various low-level optimizations to make it tick. Making it running on Unity would be only slowing it down, and maybe also making some things downright impossible.

If you mean some tools just to generate the terrain, in theory it would be possible in a limited way, but it would require a geometry streaming engine in Unity.
In any case, everything would probably require a lot of effort ...

b360

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 02:30:52 am »

Unity asset store allows developers to sell tools and memebers can buy these tools that are wrote in "C++, Java, or boo scripts".  These packages after purchase are easily imported to the developers screen as scripts which allow us to use them to create games faster.

Unity is a powerfull game engine capable of simple phone games all the way to huge network heavy MMO stlyes (http://unity3d.com/unity/).  Code once and multiple deploy is how it works.  Which makes it very easy for developers to get on board.   Im really glad i took the time out here to send you this informaton.  Especially if you havent looked in to this already.
I came across your youtube video looking for tools and thought WOW this is what im looking for in tools as a developer in unity.. And i know others would feel the same if you sold tools like your using on the Asset Store, others would buy them for sure!  This could possibly generate a substantial side income that would allow you to take Outerra farther faster. 
  Im not suggesting running all of Outerra on top of Unity.  I was suggesting you simply take the scripts you have created and break them down in to packges sellable on the Asset Store. 

I will include a few video links below to show you what im talking about.   Also this would showcase Outerra with the unity community.  Developers would be giving your praise for the foundation of tools they could build on thanks to your company.  Of course it wouldent be the Outerra engine but it would allow people who develop games in Unity a foundation to make their own games and who knows it may lead to more customers from both ends.

For example some folks have created a package called "Easy Roads 3d"  which works in a simular manner to your roads tool.  It appears you folks have also designed tools that work simular.   Programmers making games need these kind of tools so we purchase them to allow us to create games faster. 

After watching your videos i truely feel if your team even looked at this market you would be able to easily jump in it and release tools rapidly that you would profit from.

The tools can be made using your standard C++ or Java coding.  A nice part about Unity is you may use both java and c++ in combination to that engine.  You can download unity for free and check out their asset store with your log in.  You will see how easy it is to take your scipts and create tools.

I would love to see a terrrain world toolkit called "Outerra"  That uses real world maps as you do.  Theres ways for us to do it but its slightly involved and there is not a tool kit for it.  You folks look like you've got it down well.

Heres a few videos.  These are of items for sale in the Unity Asset Store.  Which 99% of the Asset store is not fueled by Unity but by Indie developers.

Unity Rendering
http://unity3d.com/unity/quality/rendering

An example of the tools currently available.

Ethereal planets

Part 2

Easy Roads 3D

Anyway those are just a few.  But I feel if you folks got on board it would be a great!  I think you would be able to offer some really great ones and it would actually be easier then you think to get your packages up and on the asset store for sale.   

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 02:44:17 am by b360 »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 03:30:15 am »

Ok, I see what you mean. Well the problem is that all of our tools are built on top of the core OT engine, which provides the foundation that's necessary for them to work. For example, the roads are stored as vector spline nodes and they are generated on the fly, and thus require the core OT terrain generator, they can't work with your standard meshes.
 Likewise, the terrain itself - built to use both height data and procedural refinement, managing tile cache and other resources. Everything would effectively require OT to be implemented in Unity, and not just as a plugin but built into the core.