Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Mech and Robot Support.  (Read 8635 times)

AKNightHawk

• http://www.moddb.com/games/assault-knights-reign-of-steel
Mech and Robot Support.
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:13:09 am »

I know yall have wheeled vehicle and airplane support. But where is the love for Mechs and Robots. Can we get some love for Mechs in outerra? It would be nice to have support for IK driven mechs in outerra. For scripting them kind of units into it. Just for fun. I would really love to move my own mechs from Neo Axis to Outerra in the future.
Assault Knights:Reign of Steel
Donate to the Assault Knights project
I always think everything is better with mechs.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Mech and Robot Support.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 12:37:05 pm »

All the love.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

AKNightHawk

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:52:04 pm »

yeah I remember them pics. But we need a way to actually be able to pilot them in the engine hehe

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 02:56:04 am »

Well, as you mentioned, IK support needed. But you can have robots on wheels now :)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 04:20:12 am »

I am planning a button box to accompany my pc. It should have up to 8 analog controls as well as 32 buttons. Just think about the mech rig I could build with all those. Knobs and throttle bodies and toggles galore.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

AKNightHawk

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 02:30:13 pm »

hehe yeah it will also need animation support as well.. cameni would you actually be willing to make a scripting system for mechs for outerra? It would be the first engine that would have actual mech support built in. Mech simulations is actually fairly high too. I would be more then willing to supply the engine and your team with a mech that is usable in the engine from my game. To test with. Animated with IK supported limbs.

And yeah Zeos that would be a sweet sim system for a mech sim game. I would love to be able to simulate a mech game like mech warrior/battletech but without all the backlash that goes with the series. That is why I want to recreate Assault Knights with this engine. It has so much more potential then Neo Axis does.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:49:34 pm by AKNightHawk »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 03:40:42 pm »

The only way I would want mechs to exist in OT is with 100% physics simulation. Gyroscopes would need to be implemented that spin up and cause stabilization and then the legs lift and move..

I suspect the first few iterations will very closely resemble QWOP http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html

XZS

• Outerra Supporter!
    • LBQ3TS - French Youtube Poop
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 03:55:38 pm »

I suspect the first few iterations will very closely resemble QWOP

Argh, not QWOP, not this ! This game's hard as hell!
I rather want something like CLOP :D
Burn a book, save a tree.
LBQ3TS - French Youtube Poop

Jagerbomber

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 05:07:58 pm »

lmao

but uh... inb4 "clopping" goes any further...  ::)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 04:09:56 am »

hehe yeah it will also need animation support as well.. cameni would you actually be willing to make a scripting system for mechs for outerra? It would be the first engine that would have actual mech support built in. Mech simulations is actually fairly high too. I would be more then willing to supply the engine and your team with a mech that is usable in the engine from my game. To test with. Animated with IK supported limbs.
Well, the way it's designed, there can easily be a base system for mechs, just as there is for aircraft and vehicles. Probably inheriting from character physics & animation base, after that one's ready.

AKNightHawk

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 11:57:01 am »

Very sweet. I look forward to it. Your engine would be one of the first engines with mech support built into it right off the bat. Even if it is simple support at first the code could be built upon. And I am not going to make the same mistake I did with Neo Axis. I am going to learn the scripting lang for this engine so I can add things myself to the code.

Sunnyyello

• Nothing to see here, move along...
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 05:51:03 pm »

Well, as you mentioned, IK support needed. But you can have robots on wheels now :)

Wheeled mechs reminds me of a game called "Chromehounds". I was a sniper and the mechs with wheels were always the hardest to hit. lol
I could waste my time training a noob but the end result would just be a really well trained noob...

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 06:15:54 am »

EarthSiedge ... thats what crosses my mind first ... and Outerra fits that name too  ;D ... will hawe to find a realistic way of piloting them (a full-clic cockpit), the systems operated should be started to be discussed, depends on engine-type. Whats your preffered one ? HL-2 dark-energy solution would be bad-dass, still, thinking more of a special AT micro-plant as realistic (dont worry, i wont let you have to bother whyte retardant-tubes, that system will be automated - doe, i would definitely find a 3 step way of getting it on-line -- outside other 52 + things to do at start-procedure --- just some reality to ya face - ;D)
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

AKNightHawk

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 02:27:45 am »

Well when it comes to mechs. I hardly looked at other genres other then Mech Warrior/Battletech. Which uses fusion engines if I remember correctly. Though personally I would stay away from that franchise all together. I have my own franchise that I have been working on for the last 7 years. Called Assault Knights. It is a mecha combined arms game. But we don't have to get into that either.

Personally I would just be happy with basic movement first. Walking, with the ability to Torso twist. The other stuff could be added later on.