Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Outerra freezes at 2.36GB  (Read 14071 times)

BenDragon

Outerra freezes at 2.36GB
« on: March 18, 2013, 04:22:46 pm »

hey there, I installed new RAM on my computer to handle Anteworld's requirements to solve the issue of it overloading my current 4GB computer.

But now, Anteworld crashes whenever it takes up 2.36GBs of my RAM.

I found this out using task manager's processes.

The computer still runs, just not Anteworld.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Outerra freezes at 2.36GB
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 05:30:24 pm »

I guess not enough memory address space when running as a 32-bit app. But I wonder, what are you doing that you run out of memory, after what time it does it?

BenDragon

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 06:10:04 pm »

I guess not enough memory address space when running as a 32-bit app. But I wonder, what are you doing that you run out of memory, after what time it does it?
It mostly takes up the most memory when I'm exploring the world at very high speeds (I learnt the page up and page down buttons).

I run windows 7 64 bit, so it should be alright.

It depends on the speed I explore at, if I'm exploring, it crashes about 10 minutes of play time, if I take it slower, it crashes in less time, but I'd expect to cover the same amount of area.

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 03:52:49 pm »

You should try moving around imported objects that have several million poly's. ;D

For now I'm planning on buying a new computer for development, specially just for Outerra.
So... you should think about that.Do you think you have enough ? :D
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

BenDragon

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 05:02:55 pm »

You should try moving around imported objects that have several million poly's. ;D

For now I'm planning on buying a new computer for development, specially just for Outerra.
So... you should think about that.Do you think you have enough ? :D
I am planning to do something about it. for example: get some new RAM cards which are all the same (the current RAM cards are all different and yet, my computer works) and a new graphics card for my motherboard since it simply does not have enough internal memory to do the job.

It's probably going to be a VERY costly job, but I'm pretty sure my motherboard can support the upgrades.

Midviki

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:45:01 pm »

... , but I'm pretty sure my motherboard can support the upgrades.

Well.. you should be sure.. check some websites first.. some reviews... google 2 pieces of hardware and see the comparison... check fabrication date, energy consumption... etc. :)

Do not rely on what you have until you get all the facts straight!
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

BenDragon

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 05:57:45 pm »

I downloaded Speccy, which gathers information about my computer, and it says:

Operating System
   Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
   Intel Core i3 530 @ 2.93GHz   47 °C
   Clarkdale 32nm Technology
RAM
   8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
   Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H55M-UD2H (Socket 1156)   41 °C
Graphics
   HP w1907 (1440x900@60Hz)
   896MB GeForce GTX 260 (CardExpert Technology)   61 °C
Hard Drives
   466GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 ATA Device (SATA)   32 °C
Optical Drives
   No optical disk drives detected
Audio
   High Definition Audio Device

Is this enough information?

Midviki

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 07:20:32 pm »

Wait what?... =)) we have almost the same computer :))) ... 90% identical =))) ;D ... lol

Mine works just fine... but from what I see... is the HDD "green" ?... cause those are sh!t :D... I had a lot of problems with my HDD... I don't know about other hdds from WD... but the "green" one sucks. :)
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

BenDragon

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 07:31:52 pm »

Wait what?... =)) we have almost the same computer :))) ... 90% identical =))) ;D ... lol

Mine works just fine... but from what I see... is the HDD "green" ?... cause those are sh!t :D... I had a lot of problems with my HDD... I don't know about other hdds from WD... but the "green" one sucks. :)
My HDD has served me well, it's a WDC WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 ATA. It loads reasonably fast and it's reliable, it's suited my computer well.

I guess what I forgot to mention in my first post, was that I have 2 different types of RAM cards installed in my computer, 2 of them are each 2GBs big, equalling 4 GBs, and the other 2 are the newer DDR3 RAM which are 4 GBs each, outerra caused my computer to freeze because it used up so much memory. I guess I could always remove the other 2 RAM cards to see if it makes any improvement in outerra/

Midviki

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 07:37:54 pm »

Yeah well... you should let only the 4GB ones... see if your computer is still working =))) .. cause I don't know why.. but I think only the 2GB ones work :D... I'm not sure... but I know I have exactly the same Mainboard ( exact series ) ... and... I have only 2GB pieces 4x2GB and they seem to have some limitations..  but I think I've done in the past some research.. cause I wanted to buy 4GB cards as well.. or 8GB... and it showed me that it doesn't support 4GB or 8GB cards. ... just check it fast... till you can return them and ask for  your money back or something ;D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:41:06 pm by Midviki »
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

BenDragon

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 07:41:18 pm »

Yeah well... you should let only the 4GB ones... see if your computer is still working =))) .. cause I don't know why.. but I think only the 2GB ones work :D... I'm not sure... but I know I have exactly the same Mainboard ( exact series ) ... and... I have only 2GB pieces 4x2GB and they seem to have some limitations..  but I think I've done in the past some research.. cause I wanted to buy 4GB cards as well.. or 8GB... and it showed me that it doesn't support 4GB or 8GB cards. ... just check it fast... till you can return them ask for  your money back or something ;D
I've been using the 2 2GB ones up until now, the 2 2GB ones are not really enough to run outerra + windows on my computer...

Midviki

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 07:52:22 pm »

As advice from me.. you should have like 10GB virtual memory taken from C: partition ( or where is your SO installed ) .... youtube or other stuff... maybe eat up from ram if it doesn't have enough virtual memory.And even if it goes past your 4GB.... the virtual still helps because I think it has some kind of way of writing the unnecessary memory on the hard-drive that is used by other software which does not really need the high quality memory of the cards... I know from experience with 3ds max... when I'm working with too many polygons... I usually have around 3GB eaten by doing nothing... the memory goes way up over 8GB's  when I increase iteration like have models with a few million poly's just to test things... and after I decrease the iteration.... those 3GB that I should  have always there... there are anymore.. the ram goes down from 8GB.. and it stays at 500mb - 1gb ... just the software that needs it too much will use from ram.
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

BenDragon

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 08:00:55 pm »

As advice from me.. you should have like 10GB virtual memory taken from C: partition ( or where is your SO installed ) .... youtube or other stuff... maybe eat up from ram if it doesn't have enough virtual memory.And even if it goes past your 4GB.... the virtual still helps because I think it has some kind of way of writing the unnecessary memory on the hard-drive that is used by other software which does not really need the high quality memory of the cards... I know from experience with 3ds max... when I'm working with too many polygons... I usually have around 3GB eaten by doing nothing... the memory goes way up over 8GB's  when I increase iteration like have models with a few million poly's just to test things... and after I decrease the iteration.... those 3GB that I should  have always there... there are anymore.. the ram goes down from 8GB.. and it stays at 500mb - 1gb ... just the software that needs it too much will use from ram.
Yeah, the thing is that I close all other programs (except for all windows programs) and outerra still takes up well over 3Gbs worth of virtual memory.

There generally isn't a lot that I can do when all of my programs like skype, steam and google chrome (the 3 most ram-intensive programs on my computer) are shut off just to run outerra,and that relieves about 1 GB worth of memoary for outerra, and yes it still takes up too much RAm on my ocmputer, so I had no option but to instal extra RAM cards to try and help outerra run.

Midviki

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:11:28 pm »

Look... check the task manager... and look up at the processes... some times.... I had the Outerra.exe opened up 3x times...  the processor was running like crazy and the ram was up as well.. maybe it is something like that... or some other program is eating your "goodies". :D  ( .. eh.. yeah.. and try looking for extra answers.. play with your imagination... check everything.. double check... triple check... be a control freak with all your programs, firewall, internet connection.. everything!... try to see what is going on :P ) ... But if the problem still persists... personally I blame the WD hdd... btw... have you had windows xp ever running on it?... you can immediately know if the hdd is the problem... I had extreme problems in Outerra because of the HDD before I changed it... I had enormous lag spikes... everything was loading slow... sometimes even folders made problems.. but anyway.. that is one of my last thoughts that come in mind... you just check the assessment of your resources.And try that thing with the 2x4GB rams you got... maybe they work... and you will have just those you don't need 12GB.. you can handle 8GB... if the motherboard can handle it.Or maybe you need to calibrate the ram... for example I changed all the clock rotation of mine.. cause it made my PC glitch... when I was forcing my computer too hard.. sh!t started happening... restarts.. shut downs.. etc.. ).

Oh yeah... and lower the details a bit... maybe it will work better... less resource consumption.
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

bakho

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 02:42:05 am »

I run windows 7 64 bit, so it should be alright.

But Outerra itself it 32 bit, that's the bottleneck.
Pages: [1] 2