Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: [Tutorial] Blender vehicle rigging  (Read 14199 times)

TopNotch

[Tutorial] Blender vehicle rigging
« on: March 20, 2013, 10:10:11 am »

Here's a small tutorial on how to rig your vehicle model in Blender for Outerra.

What you need:
-Blender (I used 2.65a) (Older version may have some bugs with the .dae exporter)

Step 1: Setting up the vehicle
-Each wheel must be an own object, each separated from the main chassis.

NOTE- The main chassis origin point is the center of mass of the vehicle ingame, set it in a good position.
NOTE2- The wheels origin point is the rotating point. For correct rotations, set it to the median point of the wheel, or something like that.

Step 2: Parenting
-Select the wheels and the chassis in this order

-Hit CTRL+P and select the first option

-Repeat for all the wheels. The hierarchy should look something like this.
[/img]

-Step 3: Exporting
Export your model (select everything) in .dae format, using the default settings. Now you can relate to other tutorials about the importer.

NOTE- If you edited the vehicle origin point hit CTRL+A to apply the new position/scale/rotation
NOTE2- If you have set modifiers, right before exporting hit the "Apply modifiers" in the .dae exporter output window, or in the blender modifier's one

Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:11:58 am by Nadeox1 »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: [Tutorial] Blender vehicle rigging
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 01:59:20 pm »

A nice writeup. Hopefully it gets me going. Need to import all the things.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

CausticFlamingo

• Interested
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 06:27:34 pm »

Oh god, I didn't think i could mess it up this bad... for some reason there is only a black untextured rear fender.... and only that when i try to import my vehicle...

CausticFlamingo

• Interested
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 06:49:01 pm »

And by the way how do you set it to when you are looking at the mesh it shows the textures without rendering it? And i downloaded that pickup truck and to separate the wheels do you have to go to edit mode an select them and un-parent them or what? sorry not very used to the newer blender.

TopNotch

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 09:20:02 am »

And by the way how do you set it to when you are looking at the mesh it shows the textures without rendering it? And i downloaded that pickup truck and to separate the wheels do you have to go to edit mode an select them and un-parent them or what? sorry not very used to the newer blender.

It's meant for user that have been working with Blender, not for newbies. If you are new to Blender you should go watch some tutorials and read its wiki first.
In that model I separated the wheels in edit mode to make them own objects. (NOT un-parent)

CausticFlamingo

• Interested
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 02:14:41 pm »

My bad, I should have waited a few minutes before posting that i got it figured out now.

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 08:00:40 am »

Isnt there a missing picture at hierarchy parenting (there is some pic. ending script part) ?  ;D .. Nice little help for new-byes by the way.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Pollux

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 07:10:47 pm »

Thanks Nadeox1.
I'm new to all this so very slow but I really like what I see.
I'm also learning Blender, usually I rather use Lightwave.
Again thanks for taking the time to write the tutorial.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 03:33:07 am »

This tutorial is called a rigging tutorial, but i see no armatures or bones. This is just a tutorial for a static object now. Where is the rigging part? Parenting the wheels cannot be all?

TopNotch

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 10:16:04 am »

This tutorial is called a rigging tutorial, but i see no armatures or bones. This is just a tutorial for a static object now. Where is the rigging part? Parenting the wheels cannot be all?

This is a tutorial to setup your vehicle for Outerra. It's a must for Outerra to be able to recognize the wheels from the rest of the body. It doesn't need any bones, those are created by Outerra in the vehicle script.

As I said in the last step, for the scripting part
Now you can relate to other tutorial about the importer.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 12:09:55 pm »

Hy Nadeox,
the scripting part was not that i was asking for. I thought you need a bone per each wheel. But this is not necessary. So thanks for the nice tutorial.