Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: SDK & Licensing?  (Read 15772 times)

signalfire

SDK & Licensing?
« on: November 08, 2010, 10:34:59 am »

I was just curious what your intentions were with regards to an SDK and/or licensing?

Would be really cool to get our hands on the engine to play around with whats available, as it all looks very cool right now and I am sure that others have as many design ideas as I do. An SDK would be really really cool to play with.

Keep up the great work, love the recent updates.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
SDK & Licensing?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:32:52 am »

We will be probably doing a few pilot projects in 2011 with selected developers, but it will be a special mode as we'll be only implementing the SDK during that time. At the moment it's kind of monolithic, even though certain extensibility can be achieved via JS/html API.

I'm also hoping the demo will allow some visual testing of game ideas via modding.

signalfire

SDK & Licensing?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:28:43 am »

Sounds good, if you want someone to try it out early, let me know.

Rumour has it that Gamebyro is being sold off and InstantAction (Torque) are looking for buyers. This might be a good time to get some early adopters. I see a lot of other engine companies have offered heavy discounts for Torque users. Might be soemthing for your team to consider.

Either way I look forward to playing around with whatever you release.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
SDK & Licensing?
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 10:47:40 am »

I think ours is a different situation - basically, we aren't competing with the likes of Torque/Leadwerks/Unity etc. With those you begin with an empty world (or rather an empty plane) and you build it up; whereas here you are thrown into a world that almost exists in itself and you start to mod it. Going procedural is a necessity for huge worlds.

Another factor is that a game on a whole planet in full level of detail may be quite attractive, so we should probably think how to utilize that, without blindly licensing the engine right and left with the effect wearing out quickly ;)

Phenom

SDK & Licensing?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:32:55 am »

Mmm... I want RPG-game demo on this engine :-)

adrian

SDK & Licensing?
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:37:36 am »

Please, pretty please with sugar on top, release it for Linux as well :)
It would be a shame if the growing Linux users and developers community could't have access to this excellent engine.

phase.iNERTIA

SDK & Licensing?
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 01:16:53 pm »

Quote from: cameni
We will be probably doing a few pilot projects in 2011 with selected developers, but it will be a special mode as we'll be only implementing the SDK during that time. At the moment it's kind of monolithic, even though certain extensibility can be achieved via JS/html API.

I'm also hoping the demo will allow some visual testing of game ideas via modding.

We are looking to use Outerra for our project and was wondering how are you choosing these "selected developers"?

Are you planning on releasing a demo of the engine next year as well as announce pricing for license?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
SDK & Licensing?
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 01:59:28 pm »

Well the selection is a complicated and subjective process :)

First we want to know something about the developer (including their previous work) and about the project itself. Generally, because of the state the engine is in, the developers have to be capable of implementing some functionality that is commonly found in other engines by themselves, if they want to get their hands on alpha stuff. This is important because using the engine will be more challenging than using other well known engines.

Also, because the cooperation will be more tight at this stage of development, we want both the developer and the project to be fairly compatible with us, whatever it means ;)
Our recent decision to work on our game first also changes the situation a bit, but everything will be considered.

Feel free to write to contact so we can discuss it.

Demo should be released next year, general pricing probably not.

phase.iNERTIA

SDK & Licensing?
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 02:50:34 pm »

Sounds good, we look forward to the demo next year as well as the game that you plan to develop with it. We'll be following the development of Outerra and jump on it once it has more robust developer friendly tools and features.

signalfire

SDK & Licensing?
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 05:15:06 am »

Would you consider hobbyist developers who may not have a massive project to work with, but could potentially come up with something interesting?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
SDK & Licensing?
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 05:34:07 am »

I was discussing this with one indie developer just recently. If you read the game description, especially the idea of Realms by the end, you'll notice that we would like it to become a kind of a game platform that allows creating custom realms, parallel worlds where developers are able to create their own game scenarios. That would include their own models, scripts or game code modules. It will all be a gradual process, but we definitely want it to open these possibilities. The worlds could be persisted locally for lone developers, or in a cloud storage for distributed teams.